kids and football

kids and football

Postby oakman » Fri May 25, 2007 8:07 pm

I know this is not a new one ......but outside our properties which is situated in a close( some private and some still council maintained) is a green. Which every night of the week is used a a football pitch by upto 8 to 12 10 to 14 yr olds kicking balls into peoples cars,gardens ,windows and generally being a total pain in the butt ....I know most of you will say cum on get a life and all that but this is every night of the week sometimes well after 10.00pm..the language is also something to behold too. Is there something to be done ,ASBO'S ?????..just after so info really what have others done....
oakman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby hzatph » Fri May 25, 2007 8:53 pm

This is a real problem. Your best bet is to talk to the council in the first instance but it may be hard to get them interested in doing anything. Good luck.
hzatph

Postby arborlad » Fri May 25, 2007 9:42 pm

This can be resolved, but you have to involve everyone - police, council, housing association, residents, the youths themselves, anyone who could have an input or opinion.

We had an identical situation and with a combination of planting and fencing it was 'cured'.

arborlad

smile..it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Maverick.uk » Sat May 26, 2007 9:03 am

arborlad wrote:We had an identical situation and with a combination of planting and fencing it was 'cured'.

arborlad

Arborlad

I would be interested to know the 'cure' for the kids that used the area or did they just get ignored?

The normal reason for use by children of these areas is one of convenience. They are normally close to their living space. Parks generally don't provide the convenience of these little havens of open space.

Cheers

Mav
Maverick.uk

Postby arborlad » Sat May 26, 2007 11:02 am

Maverick.uk wrote:
arborlad wrote:We had an identical situation and with a combination of planting and fencing it was 'cured'.

arborlad

Arborlad

I would be interested to know the 'cure' for the kids that used the area or did they just get ignored?

The normal reason for use by children of these areas is one of convenience. They are normally close to their living space. Parks generally don't provide the convenience of these little havens of open space.

Cheers

Mav

Mav, no the kids weren't ignored, just encouraged to use a park that you could see from one corner of the green it was that close.

It was , as you say, just convenience that they used the green for football, it was outside their front doors, but it was to the detriment of all the other residents. Once finished there was an area large enough for a parent to have a 'kick-around' with a toddler, but the bigger areas were 'blocked' with island beds and some mature trees.

There was also a problem of parking on the green, which was 'cured', with a knee rail fence.

I wasn't involved in the initial stages of the consultation, which involved everybody, just the implementation of it. Where possible, especially in the planting, the residents were encouraged to help - if you've planted a tree/shrub, hopefully your elder sibling is not going to vandalise it.

arborlad

arborlad

Postby Dig Deep » Sat May 26, 2007 11:40 am

We have a crescent up here with the same problem. The piece of green land is maintained by the council who cut it now and again, but it was built just after the war and the land was for children to play on. Problem comes when people sell their homes and move on. So really the truth is you should find out before buying a home what the land is for and who looks after it so you can make up your mind whether it is the right place for you to buy yourself, at least they are not misbehaving only doing what kids do.
Dig Deep

Postby oakman » Sat May 26, 2007 6:56 pm

It seems like mav has hit the right note there it is very convienient for them as the park is well over 200 yds away.......tounge in cheek I say that...but thanks for all your replies ....I think it will be the council in the first instance....
oakman

Postby arborlad » Sat May 26, 2007 7:06 pm

oakman wrote:It seems like mav has hit the right note there it is very convienient for them as the park is well over 200 yds away.......tounge in cheek I say that...but thanks for all your replies ....I think it will be the council in the first instance....

The councils do have agencies and charities that they work in partnership with, but yes, the council is probably your first port of call. There is also funding for regeneration of rundown areas - not saying your area is rundown, just another string to your bow.

arborlad

arborlad

kids causing nusiance

Postby dimogga » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:49 am

We found out after some long term complaining about kids causing havoc (drunk teens fighting in huge gangs and much much more) that we were getting a dispersal order.

The dispersal order gives the police the right to move on kids and after 9pm they can take them home.

The problem we had the first night was the police left the ones who lived on the street doing what they were doing "because they had a responsible adult with them" and moved on the drunken ones.

The police called back at 10.15 to move them on too (we'd not rung them that time but perhaps a neighbour had)

The kids should all be moved - another PO told us - and the dispersal order means that if they return within 24 hours they can be fined or locked up.

Obviously complaining about neighbours kids means you'll almost certainly fall out with neighbours how believe their kids have a divine right to be as noisy as they like outside your house etc etc.

Ask the council about a dispersal order - and if other neighbours object then ask the council about forming a residents group as this gives grievances more weight and things might get sorted quicker.

All I have to do now is fill in a form for how much the new guttering is going to cost me on the garage following a youth related incident.

best of luck sorting it out - it'll take lots of ag and effort though
dimogga

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to News