High Hedge Fees

Postby despair » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:34 am

leslie ..........you cant grow your own veg .......cos you are not allowed to water them in many parts of the country

But you can fill your swimming pool to overflowing!!!!

This is England Patricia Hewitt style .........she gives the orders on water
despair

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Conveyancer » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:19 am

I think you are missing the point here. People do not fill their swimming pools to overflowing. It is pointless to ban something that no one does, particularly in a season where people are not filling their swimming pools, let alone filling them to overflowing.

You want it both ways.

A hosepipe ban and you cry: "Too much government!"

A high hedge and you cry: "Not enough government!"

The high hedges legislation may not be perfect. It is difficult to see how it could be drafted to satisfy everyone. It tries to strike a balance between the right of a man to do as he pleases on his own land and the right of his neighbour not to have the enjoyment of his property spoiled by what he does. It is right that something should be done if a hedge is oppressive. It is wrong that you should be able to make your neighbour cut down his hedge just because you do not like it.

Twenty years ago nobody talked about high hedges. If your garden was in shadow you just grumbled and got on with life. Now, thanks to what was one high profile case, television programmes and the popular press have whipped people up into a frenzy about it.

Similarly twenty years ago we never heard of neighbours from hell. Of course they existed. I do not wish to belittle those who have serious problems - I have had them myself. But now everyone thinks their neighbour should be thrown in gaol for criminal damage if he leans a rake against your fence. And if he should have the temerity to treat his side of the fence you put up or train sweet peas up it - lock him up and throw away the key!

As I have mentioned elsewhere, I had the paving stones in my front gardne broken and thrown through the front door and the garage door kicked in - more than once.

I did not blame John Major who was prime minister at the time.

I did not blame Michael Howard who was home secretary at the time.

I did not blame the Conservative controlled county council.

I did not blame the police for nor having a constable stationed outside my house 24 hours a day to prevent a recurrence.

I did not blame the parents of the people who did it.

I did not blame their teachers.

I blamed those who did it. They alone were responsible.

All the neighbours "knew" who did it, but no one saw them do it. I accepted that those who did it could not be prosecuted without evidence as I believe in the rule of law. I did not seek to take matters into my own hands as I believe in the rule of law.

Some people are kind, considerate and bend over backwards to be accommodating; others are the complete opposite; most people are somewhere in the middle. It was always this way and always will be, no matter who is in charge.

This country enjoyed its longest period of peace and prosperity when it was ruled by Italians; the country has been going to the dogs since the Romans left! :P
Conveyancer

to conveyance

Postby leslie411 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:38 pm

i dont remember problems with hedges until the seventies when quick growing leylandi became cheap thus popular and then a nuisance!
leslie411

Postby despair » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:47 pm

Leslie you are correct ........Leylandii was start of high hedge problem

People used to have 3 ft fences and talk to their neighbours , swap plants and veggies and help each other out

But that was when it was normal to be married before you had kids and Mums stayed home to care for them and discipline existed along with respect for teachers and police etc

Then came changes in tax system and all the financial pressures which meant more and more women had to work

Things have simply gone in a downhill spiral and each successive government has tinkered with tax systems etc so that now its more beneficial to be a single mother than married and so it goes on

The end result is a split society of stressed individuals rushing from home to work who have no time for neighbours and want to hide behind hedges and fences
despair

Postby despair » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:48 pm

People used to have 3 ft fences and talk to their neighbours , swap plants and veggies and help each other out

But that was when it was normal to be married before you had kids and Mums stayed home to care for them and discipline existed along with respect for teachers and police etc

Then came changes in tax system and all the financial pressures which meant more and more women had to work

Things have simply gone in a downhill spiral and each successive government has tinkered with tax systems etc so that now its more beneficial to be a single mother than married and so it goes on

The end result is a split society of stressed individuals rushing from home to work who have no time for neighbours and want to hide behind hedges and fences
despair

Postby despair » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:48 pm

despair

Postby Conveyancer » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:47 am

despair wrote:Leslie you are correct ........Leylandii was start of high hedge problem

People have always planted trees and hedges on their boundaries. Leylandii became popular simply becuase they are fast growing

despair wrote:People used to have 3 ft fences and talk to their neighbours , swap plants and veggies and help each other out

True, but I think that partly it is just fashion. People have more disposable incomes and spend them on "improvements". People change their furnishings and furniture much more often. My parents had the same three piece suite throughout their marriage. They never built an extension.

despair wrote:But that was when it was normal to be married before you had kids and Mums stayed home to care for them and discipline existed along with respect for teachers and police etc

What used to happen was that girls who "got in trouble" were whisked away to have the baby which was then adopted. Very often it was pretended that the baby belonged to someone else in the family who was married. In living memory some girls who "lived in" were to all intents and purposes raped and then put in an asylum for being feeble minded. People are more open and honest these days and I think that that is a good thing.

I recently read a letter from a father to his son in which he told his son to respect his teachers and not go getting drunk on beer and falling in the mud. It was written over three thousand years ago in Ancient Egypt! I bet the father had been a worry to his own father. I don't buy this idea that the young have less respect than they used to. It is an idea that is older than taxation. The young may have a healthy scepticism of authority and that is something that I wholly approve. The days of kowtowing to the gentry are thankfully over. If people want respect they should earn it, not expect it.

despair wrote:Then came changes in tax system and all the financial pressures which meant more and more women had to work

An interesting theory, but there are all sorts of reasons for the social changes that have taken place.

despair wrote:Things have simply gone in a downhill spiral and each successive government has tinkered with tax systems etc so that now its more beneficial to be a single mother than married and so it goes on

Sounds like a Daily Mail editorial!

despair wrote:The end result is a split society of stressed individuals rushing from home to work who have no time for neighbours and want to hide behind hedges and fences

The stresses have always been there - they have just changed. There used to be the stress of people staying in unhappy marriges - now there is the stress of going through a divorce. People used to have the stress of having to shop every day - now they have the stress of buying all their food once a week at an out of town supermarket. People used to have the stress of going without - now they have the stress of too much choice.
Conveyancer

Postby Treeman » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:46 am

Conveyancer wrote:I recently read a letter from a father to his son in which he told his son to respect his teachers and not go getting drunk on beer and falling in the mud. It was written over three thousand years ago in Ancient Egypt!.

The postal system isn’t what it could be. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Treeman

Postby syckend » Mon May 01, 2006 8:53 am

Leslie is correct that the high hedge problem really began with fast-growing Leylandii. These trees are an alien species, and are meant to grow in forests. If they are trimmed regularly from the beginning they make a dense and attractive hedge. Unfortunately if the twice yearly trimming is missed the branches grow out, to leave a dead middle - and up, up up....
Anyone who followed the Michael Jones case, and read Hansard as the case went through Parliament, will know that the High Hedge legislation was primarily concerned with Leylandii. There is nothing wrong with the High Hedge section of the ASBO Bill. Unfortunately the majority of councils have adopted a hostile attitude to make it difficult for victims to obtain justice -eg fees are monstrously high.
It is true that ordinary decent neighbours can come to a compromise about the height and maintenance of hedges: the bullies however learn that they have the power to intimidate their neighbours so push the law to its extremes. People's lives have been made miserable over this problem - it can be a serious problem and it should be sorted.
I advise as an experienced layman whose dispute via Courts lasted 5+yrs. Try to avoid this route©
syckend

Postby Treeman » Mon May 01, 2006 7:11 pm

syckend wrote:These trees are an alien species, and are meant to grow in forests.

Nearly right

Leyland cypress (X Cupressocyparis leylandii) is an intergeneric hybrid.
Oh its alien all right but it is thought to have originated in England in 1888 so while its parents are undoubtedly imports it probably qualifies for a UK passport.

It’s not meant to grow anywhere because it’s a cross between two separate genera. As such it is an aberration of nature. In the wild nature would probably have put this useless tree down at birth.

Treeman
Treeman

Postby subjecttocontract » Mon May 01, 2006 9:01 pm

In the wild nature would probably have put this useless tree down at birth.

I hardly think it qualifies as 'useless'. It actually provides many people with a hedge together with the satisfaction of knowing they are getting their own back on their neighbours.
subjecttocontract

Postby Conveyancer » Mon May 01, 2006 9:54 pm

I suspect that if the hybridist who produced the Leylandii (Mr Leyland?) were still alive he is one nurseryman that Despair would be happy to see out of a job. :P
Conveyancer

Postby Treeman » Mon May 01, 2006 10:08 pm

subjecttocontract wrote:In the wild nature would probably have put this useless tree down at birth.

I hardly think it qualifies as 'useless'. It actually provides many people with a hedge together with the satisfaction of knowing they are getting their own back on their neighbours.

It’s a tool for annoying people with. But isn’t it the entire spirit of the HH legislation to stop people bullying neighbours with vegetation.

The Mule is also an intergeneric and like the Leylandii it also is sterile. If a species cannot fulfil the primary biological imperative of reproduction it truly is useless and written off by evolution.

Treeman
Treeman

Postby Conveyancer » Mon May 01, 2006 10:31 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't some important food plants sterile? Also, the mule is quite useful - I think it can carry goods in places that no machine can yet reach.
Conveyancer

Postby subjecttocontract » Tue May 02, 2006 8:11 am

The point I was trying to make is that whilst there are clearly many people who have their lives are affected by leylandi, they recieve, in my opinion, a disproportionate amount of publicity.

People have the enjoyment of their gardens affected by many other selfish acts & its not unreasonable to assume that some of those affected by leylandi ALSO exhibit similar anti social behaviour against their neighbours. Many of these have been discussed on this chatboard. Here are some examples...
* cats
* trampolines
* swimming pools
* noisy/ bad behaved children
* disregard for privacy
etc etc.....
subjecttocontract

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to News