High Hedge Fees

Postby Conveyancer » Mon May 07, 2007 2:08 pm

Whilst I am all in favour of local democracy, I think that the fee should be fixed by central government. It should be set sufficiently high to discourage vexatious complaints and the fee should be refunded if the complaint is upheld.

I have a question for Despair. You obviously feel the Act is not working. Leaving aside the question of fees, what do you think the law should be?
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.
Conveyancer

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Mon May 07, 2007 2:16 pm

I think hedges should fall into same category as fences and walls if you want it higher you have to get Planning Permission

The current system sadly is not working and hedges are still being used as weapons

The innocent neighbour on the other side unable to cope with the height/cutting back or the costs should not be put in a situation of having to find up to £650 to file a complaint and then wait weeks to get a verdict and then face an appeal by the growers

Many of the sufferers of high hedges are very elderly and have actually died in the years it took to even get the HH Law never mind the fact it still does not work
despair

Postby Conveyancer » Mon May 07, 2007 2:49 pm

despair wrote:I think hedges should fall into same category as fences and walls if you want it higher you have to get Planning Permission

I concede that it does seem a bit of a nonsense that you need planning permission to erect a wall or fence above two metres, but not to plant hedges that will grow higher. The problem, however, is that there is no history of controlling trees in the UK and I feel it would be difficult to introduce; it is a law that perhaps ought to have come in when leafy suburbs were first being developed, but at that time there was hardly any planning control at all.

It is all a question of striking a balance between competing interests. On the one hand people are telling government to get off their backs, but on the other want government to step in and control things they do not approve of.

I agree with your comment elsewhere that privacy is becoming an obsession. What we need is for Gardener's World to start suggesting what a great idea it is to have your garden flooded with light! Watch the hedges come down!

Not quite on topic, but here is something to consider. I was in Austria a few years ago - one of those areas where geraniums tumble over every balcony. I was very surpised to learn that by law you must have your display out by a certain date; not only that, but you must display approved varieties. How would such a law go down in the UK?!
If you have benefited from advice on this site please consider contributing to a cancer charity.
Conveyancer

Postby Arbtech » Mon May 07, 2007 6:01 pm

despair wrote:Arbtech

What height was that hedge for goodness sake if the HH Law would have steamrollered a reduction of 64%

Its all very well representing Hedge Owners who dont want their hedge reduced but i know what its like living with the hell of a HH that the new law will do nothing about

How any professional could defend the unholy mess i look at is beyond me but no doubt for enough money some professionals have no principles

I wonder what you would be saying if you saw my side of "the hedge"

The hedge was approximately 4.8 metres. I am not going to divulge any more information than that but believe me its retention is entirely justified. You can think of us like a hired gun; but the fact is that you have no idea about the situation, much in the same way I have little conception of yours. I really can empathise with your situation if you are one of the unlucky ones who have a genuine complaint, but most the aggrieved persons’ complaints I have dealt with have been total and utter *ahem*.

If you would like any informal or formal assistance please feel free to get in contact with me/us. You'll never know what we can do for you if you don't ask.

I wonder what you'd say if you saw their* side of 'the hedge'.

*Our previous clients, not your neighbours.

Robert
Arbtech Consulting Ltd.
Tree and ecology consultancy
www.arbtech.co.uk
Arbtech

Postby despair » Mon May 07, 2007 6:13 pm

Obviously I dont know the full story of the case and appreciate why you would not divulge it

4.8 metres must need to hide hell on the other side though

I will send you some pictures privately of what i look at but even you wont be able to resolve it
despair

Postby Arbtech » Thu May 10, 2007 2:37 pm

I would actually be interest to see it. (robert@arbetch.co.uk). I'd also love to have a proper go at it, but anyway, even if you only want some casual advice feel free to drop me an email.

Robert
Arbtech Consulting Ltd.
Tree and ecology consultancy
www.arbtech.co.uk
Arbtech

Previous

Return to News