Flooded garden

New Topic!

Flooded garden

Postby robby1966 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi all,
My back garden gets flooded during heavy rain and my neighbour has the same problem. Our properties back onto a bungalow that is approx 6ft higher than our homes and this has a sloped back garden, The fence is leaning over heavily and attempts have been made to hold the fencing up with stakes. Obviously its just a matter of time before it falls over completely. There is a separation gap between mine and my neighbours fence and the bungalow of approx a metre. This gap is filled with garden waste that appears to have been thrown over the fence for many years. The separation is sloped, and a lot of the garden has washed away under the fencing and i suspect that the surface water just runs down the slope and enters into my garden. The owner of the bungalow is an elderly woman and my retired neighbour has explained to her that she needs to repair the fence as it is about to fall over. He has also told her that she can claim on her home insurance but she doesn't appear to take any notice. According to my neighbour, there is a drain in the separation but this must be blocked solid with all the garden waste. I am really asking for any advice on how to proceed ? I think the separation gap needs to be cleared out to find and flush out the drain and that the neighbours fence will need removing before building a retaining wall which can then be fenced above it. Advice welcomed
Thanks
robby1966

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Flooded garden

Postby despair » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:41 pm

I would start with the Building Regs officer at your local council
He should know which officer is best placed to assist
I am sure there will be regulations somewhere its a matter of what where and who deals with them
despair

Postby robby1966 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:32 pm

Thanks very much despair, I will get onto them tomorrow
robby1966

Postby arborlad » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:50 pm

robby1966 wrote:There is a separation gap between mine and my neighbours fence...............
Thanks

There's no such thing, could this have been a ditch that has been infilled?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby robby1966 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:55 pm

My fence and the neighbours are not back to back, there is a gap of approx a metre between her fence and mine
robby1966

Postby robby1966 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:05 pm

I will post some pics tomorrow
robby1966

Postby arborlad » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:37 pm

robby1966 wrote:I will post some pics tomorrow

That will be useful, there shouldn't be two fences with a 1m gap between.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby robby1966 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:51 pm

Ahh but they do things different in the sunny north west
robby1966

Postby jonahinoz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:01 am

Hi,

If there is a gap between your fence and your neighbours fence, it will belong to somebody ... you, your neighbour, or the original developer. Land Registry may have something to say about it - does you LR map show a double boundary?

Does the double fence continue sideways from your property, across neighbouring properties? That could indicate a ditch, or a footpath (if a footpath, would there be any benefit if everybody donated a few feet, turned it into rear vehicle access?) If a ditch, who is responsible for clearing it? Was there any reference on the original planning - could (allowed) the developer have used the ditch (if any) in lieu of a soak-away?

John W
jonahinoz

Postby robby1966 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:57 am

Hi John,
My neighbour seems to think that the strip of land is owned by two houses on the cul de sac. My houses deeds are with the solicitor so I will be asking him for a copy to see what shows on the boundary line. The council has said that they don't own the land and there is no sign of any drain on their plans. I will check with the land registry as I hadn't thought about that. I think that this was originally a footpath as it is only a narrow strip of land and I also think it is the neighbour at the back of me who is responsible for clearing it as she is the one dumping her garden waste into it. I have pictures but I can't load them until I have made 3 posts !
I will check with LR and my solicitor and will get back in touch and thanks for the interest.
Paul R
robby1966

Postby arborlad » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:12 am

robby1966 wrote: I have pictures but I can't load them until I have made 3 posts !

You have made six posts but your post count shows nought - something is wrong!
arborlad

arborlad

Postby jonahinoz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi,

What is the legal position on dumping garden rubbish outside your house environs, but still on land that you own?

Could this rubbish be causing the flooding, by blocking the intended flow of surface water?

Could the neighbours soakaway be inadequate, or possibly some other drainage problem has developed. Her house is uphill from Robby. Maybe her surface water should be piped along the no-man's land, to wherever?

John W
jonahinoz

Postby arborlad » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:46 am

arborlad wrote:
robby1966 wrote: I have pictures but I can't load them until I have made 3 posts !

You have made six posts but your post count shows nought - something is wrong!

I'm assuming that others are seeing the same as me...........

robby1966

arborlad

arborlad

Postby Hugh Jaleak » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:11 pm

Yes.
Hugh Jaleak

Postby arborlad » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:16 pm

Hugh Jaleak wrote:Yes.

.............thanks for the confirmation :)
arborlad

arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Flooding