access to land for maintenance

access to land for maintenance

Postby xs650cjk » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:30 pm

Some time ago, permission was given to previous neighbours to attach some wooden beams from their house wall to my house wall to act as a rain cover for their passageway. New neighbours moved in 15 years ago and it must be at least 10 years since the plastic roof cover has disintegrated. I have had built a panel fence along my boundary which along my house wall is only a foot away. To paint my house wall, the panels will need to be lifted out but the roof beams prevent this!
Can I force (strong word but we do not get on!) my neighbours to remove their wood beams (which serve no purpose now) or do I need to break my fence including digging out the concrete posts??
xs650cjk

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: access to land for maintenance

Postby Maverick.uk » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:41 pm

Depends what permission was given i suppose. More details.

Cheers

Mav
Maverick.uk

Postby despair » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:54 pm

Sounds like you need to contact the original people who gave the permission ........they were foolhardy to say the least

But if one goes back just a few years neighbours used to help each other out

These days its more like open warfare
despair

Postby gardenlaw » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:51 pm

If you do it at your own expense and they serve no purpose would the neighbours do anything if you just went ahead. Permission can be withdrawn, it seems to me, if the original purpose is nolonger served.
Otherwise ask them and point all this out, if they are reasonable they should agree.
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Postby xs650cjk » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:49 pm

Actually it was my father who gave permission! As you say, neighbours seemed a lot more open in those days. They wanted to save themselves some money by using our house for support rather than putting in their own posts. But the point is, can't permission be taken away too? I could just saw off the foot or so of beam that cross my fence but I would risk the other end falling out and causing damage to my neighbour's side which certainly won't help relations.
xs650cjk

Postby despair » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:29 am

Permission can indeed be taken away in certain circumstances

Best to check carefully with a solicitor though
despair

Return to Boundaries