Fence Issue

Fence Issue

Postby progers » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:31 pm

Can anyone help me. I move in 4 years ago and had no back gates so my parents came round and built some wooden gates attached to wooden posts. They spoke to my neighbour and asked if it would be ok to attach the end of the wood to their carport to secure it. They said it would be ok and were quite happy. My gates blew down in some high winds a couple of years ago and my neighbour kindly built me some new gates and attached them as my parents had.

I have since been dragged into their domestic problems and now neither of them will speak to me and all they do is complain about any work I do in my own garden and to my own property. He has now shouted at me across the fence and has told me I have to take the wood off his carport.

I was wondering whether he can change his mind and make me take it down and also does he have to give me time. He is very intimidating and I try not to go out in my garden when they are around because of all the comments but at the same time I don't really have the money to redo all the back gates.

Please help :(
progers

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:02 pm

As it was your neighbour who rebuilt the gates and attached them to his carport it seems unlikely that he can now require you to remove and rebuild them

I would guess he is a very unhappy man and is taking out his marital discord on those nearest ......ie you

I suffer a similar problem in that my neighbour feels its OK to scream and yell at me for what are his own failings

He is basically jealous that I am a keen gardener while his place is a pile of mess
despair

Postby progers » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:28 am

Thanks despair

I'm hoping that they will now just leave me alone but I have a feeling that this isn't the last I have heard. Everytime they complain about something and I do what they ask they find something else to complain about.

I do know that it is their property that I'm attached my wood to but I would hope that as they have agreed to it, that they can't make me move it.

:?
progers

Fence issue

Postby Countryman » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:02 pm

Unless you have written agreement I do not think you have any invested right to have the gate attached to the car port. Unsupported verbal agreements can be challenged. He could say he only agreed to attach the gate for a 'limited period' to help you out. Without written agreement it would be difficult to challenge.

I would not remove the gate yourself though - in fact I wouldn't do anything. Dont agree to his removing it but if he does remove it I don't believe you would have any claim. If you were to remove it and there is some damage where it was fixed he may say YOU caused it. I would do nothing.

Other more legal minds on the forum may have a differing view.

Countryman
Countryman

Postby progers » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:49 am

I went out yesterday afternoon to find out that he had taken a hammer to my wood and has left my wood hanging so it wasn't connected to his carport anymore. He has damaged the gate post and it now has a crack right down the middle of it and if we had any high winds I don't know if the post would still be standing.

I am waiting for a community officer to visit as I'm really fed up with the harrassment. I go away on business alot and I don't want to find any damage when I get back and my property left vunerable. I'm worried in case he removes my gates as he built them and he feels that they belong to him

:)
progers

Postby despair » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:12 am

Sounds ike one extremely unhappy and nasty neighbour indeed

Quite why he is taking out his marital problems on you beggars belief but this is exactly the kind of acts that bullies twisted minds engage in

There is no logic to it at all but that is how they behave .....and its hell living next door to one
despair

Return to Boundaries