neighbour "stole" my land!

neighbour "stole" my land!

Postby Cirque » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:06 pm

Recently I had some decking fitted and put up 3 decorative fencing panels to match the decking about 8"in front of the side boundary fence (owned by my neighbour).

At the weekend, while I was not there, the neighbour took down the existing fence and attached 3 or 4 matching panels to my new bit of fencing effectively slicing off a wedge of my garden, and reducing a narrow flower bed to almost nothing in parts. Part of my decking, paving and new topsoil from my flower bed are now showing on his side of the fence.

When I met him today, his arguement was that he thought the boundary should be in between the two houses. An old fence post from the fence before the one he just took down is still there attached to the side of his house. (That post was there 15 years ago when I moved in).

The land registry plans are unclear as the houses are from the 1930's.

I have suggested moving my fence panels back to the original line, and he move his new panels in line accordingly, but he does not want to move them. He said he will take it up with the planning dept to find out where the boundary lies. I think the rules are that you go by old fixtures such as the fence post, if the boundary plans are unclear.

I have been very polite as I genuinely do not want to fall out with him. Inside I am outraged that he has done this without discussion, while I am away, attached his fence to mine, trespassed on my garden and trampled my plants down in the process and stolen part of my flower bed!
Cirque

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:39 pm

Your neighbour has no right whatever

1) to attach his fencing to yours

2) he has no right to steal your land despite you making it a little easy for him by putting in a new fence 8 inches inside the boundary

3) your fence line has been in place for 15 years so he has no right to move it

4) he has no right to trespass or trample on your flowers or your flowerbeds

You do have every right to remove his panels depositing them back on his land and i would suggest you resite your new fencing tight up to the boundary line fast

you might print this and staple it to back of your fence too
despair

Postby gardenlaw » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:34 pm

Despair is quite right. Photograph the old post so if it is taken away you have a record of the boundary.
The planning department cannot help him.
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Post subject: neighbour "stole" my land!

Postby Cirque » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:29 pm

Thanks for your help. Armed with photos of old fences & land registry plans I approached him again. Afer a bit of ranting and raving at me he softened and agreed to put a fence up the correct boundary. Everythings friendly at the moment!
Cirque

Re: Post subject: neighbour "stole" my land!

Postby David » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:48 am

Cirque wrote:Thanks for your help. Armed with photos of old fences & land registry plans I approached him again. Afer a bit of ranting and raving at me he softened and agreed to put a fence up the correct boundary. Everythings friendly at the moment!

that's the way to do it
David
David

Re: Post subject: neighbour "stole" my land!

Postby Beech » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:18 am

Cirque wrote:Thanks for your help. Armed with photos of old fences & land registry plans I approached him again. Afer a bit of ranting and raving at me he softened and agreed to put a fence up the correct boundary. Everythings friendly at the moment!

Congratulations! :D
Beech

Return to Boundaries