Ivy damage to boundary wall

Ivy damage to boundary wall

Postby neil555 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:57 pm

We have had our house for about 3 years, and have always had problems with Ivy growing over the wall from the neighbours house. The wall is about 10' hogh on the neighbours side, and about 1' high on ours, as we live on a slope. Onthe neighboursa side, the Ivy covers the whole wall.

Each year we have battled with the Ivy, and we recently tried to dig away part of the soil against the wall, only to findthe ivy has grown through the wall and a lot of it has colapsed just below the level of our ground. Roots are upto 4" in diameter, and have obviously pushed the brickwork away as they have grown. It now seems that the wall will need to be rebuilt as it is completely unsafe.

I am wondering if my neighbours insurance is likely to cover this. She has said that the Ivy was all removed and the wall pointed about 8 years ago, but it grew back stronger. The whole length of the wall, aproximately 100' is now unsafe and is going to be very expensive to repair.

We are having our first child in less than a month, and really are worried about the safety of our garden.

Look forward to any replies.

Thanks

Neil
neil555

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:59 pm

If the wall is your neighbours responsibility then they will be the ones responsible for repairs

Its their ivy that has damaged the wall 8 yrs ago and still they allowed it to grow back

If the wall is yours then the neighbours should never have allowed ivy to grow up it in the first place

Either way IMHO the neighbours are responsible ......i doubt their insurers will cover it but who knows
despair

Ivy Damage

Postby Countryman » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:26 am

Is the wall your responsibility?? Have you checked your deeds to ascertain who is responsible for the wall?
Ivy is a rampant plant, it can look lovely but can cause damage. Did your neighbour plant it deliberately all those years ago??
First check the deeds, its important to determine who has responsibilty for the wall.
I would then get a professional opinion re the safety of the wall. If the wall is your responsibility you pay! If the wall is your neighbours responsibilty I would suggest you offer to pay half for the professional advice (same if it's joint responsibility).
If the professional advice is that the wall needs maintenance then whoever has responsibilty pays...... (if its joint responsibility or questionable responsibilty then share the cost ).

Countryman
Countryman

Postby neil555 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:05 am

Thanks for the advice.

I can't seem to find who is responsible in the deeds, but I don't really know what I am looking for. Whilst I do want to get this sorted, I want to do it amicably. My neighbour was widowed about 7 years ago, and has since let the garden go, in particular with regards to the ivy, and I know she is short of money to get anyone to work on it.

At the same time, I really don't want to have to cover all the costs myself.
neil555

Postby despair » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:28 pm

There are some charity /elderly help groups who might be able to help your neighbour
They often include retired builders etc

Its worth asking Citizens advice or Help the aged or even your local council
despair

Postby neil555 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:55 pm

Thanks despair. I will try to do this.
neil555

Postby Beech » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:09 am

Have you checked your home insurance policy to see if it covers external and supporting walls such as the one you're worried about?

If, as you say this wall is 10ft tall on your neighbours side and only 1 ft tall on your side it would seem that the strength of this wall is essential to support part of your garden and should therefore be covered by insurance.
Beech

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Boundaries