Cut and dry boundary; surely?

Re: creeping fence

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:02 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:to accurately mark on the exterior face of the back wall where the dividing wall would protrude you need to take internal measurements upstairs in both properties - measuring along the inside of the back wall from the dividing wall to the first window.
these two measurements can then be marked on the exterior of the back wall and the space between indicates where the dividing wall would protrude - the centre of this space being the centre of the party wall and a good indication of where the boundary lies.
Hi Gavski,

is this what you did?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby arborlad » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:52 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi arborlad,

try this:

http://i64.tinypic.com/1g1xf9.jpg

Kind regards, Mac

Thanks, I just get hotel ads.

COGGY wrote:I can see two windows belonging to the neighbour plus the bottom corner of an upstairs window belonging to the OP. Maybe some of us have special powers not given to everyone. :lol:

I can see downpipe, burglar alarm, window with opaque glass, satellite dish then 6-8" of the left hand side of another window, all belonging to the neighbour, I can't even see where the ridge of the conservatory meets the wall.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:10 am

Hi arborlad,

I am confused as to why this takes you to hotel ads - it should take you to the source image uploaded to tinypic.

try this one instead:

http://www.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1g1 ... qqduUbfXv4

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:29 am

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi arborlad,

I am confused as to why this takes you to hotel ads - it should take you to the source image uploaded to tinypic.

try this one instead:

http://www.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1g1 ... qqduUbfXv4

Kind regards, Mac

Thanks, but I wont, tinypic, along with another that I can't remember were (allegedly) responsible for security issues in the past.

As an aside, why is it that the OPs image is visible on the screen when yours is via a link, or put another way, what is it about: 'Board Quota Reached' that applies to you but not the OP and others?.......I'm sure it has nothing to do with skill levels.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:52 am

Hi arborlad,

the uncropped photo is as described - run of eight bricks between windows.
(OP - it doesn't always follow that a dividing wall is aligned to the centre point...)

I'm not sure why some members are able to added images but others aren't - although I suspect it may have more to do with the format of the URL more than anything like skill levels.

Kind regards, Mac
PS can you recommend a secure alternative to tinypic?
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:03 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:I'm not sure why some members are able to added images but others aren't - although I suspect it may have more to do with the format of the URL more than anything like skill levels.

There is an obvious disparity between members in what they are able to post, some as images, others as links - I'm trying to get a better understanding of that.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:10 pm

arborlad wrote:
MacadamB53 wrote:I'm not sure why some members are able to added images but others aren't - although I suspect it may have more to do with the format of the URL more than anything like skill levels.

There is an obvious disparity between members in what they are able to post, some as images, others as links - I'm trying to get a better understanding of that.

shall we start a thread then?
MacadamB53

Postby Gavski » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:34 pm

Sory some of you are seeing pic's differently but concerning the internal party wall, here's how I established it's location -

1) The 2 houses are Identical in structure and counting the number of brics from both bedroom windows leads to a point exactly between the two properties and is almost exactly where the wall of the extension starts.

2) measuring from the downstairs window internally to the wall, taking that measurement and transfering it to the exterior wall, plus the width of a brick (and a little for the cavity) leads to exactly the same point as that in 1).

This leads me to the assumption that the center of the party wall is exactly half way between the 2 houses as expected from counting the bricks.

Hope this clarifies the issue,

any more helpful comments about my dispute welcomed, cheers
Gavski

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi Gavski,

if the dividing wall has a cavity you're spot on IMHO.

in which case, I would take the external face of their extension as marking that part of the boundary.

are there remnants of any original or established boundary features elsewhere?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:40 pm

Gavski wrote:I moved into my semi a few years ago. My Neighbour has an extension that has a conservatory attached to it, see pic. The
wall is in line with the internal party wall of the house and the fence wraps around the conservatory. Over the last few
years the fence has blown down further up the garden, when they repair it, they always move it over my side a few inches. I
complained and they said it's hardly worth bothering about.

Recently it has been down again and I want to errect my own fence but feel I need to establish where the boundary is.
It is my belief that the boundary of a semi begins with the internal party wall between the houses, can any one confirm this? Also the fence that wrapps round the conservatory (and the ground it is on) must be mine as they cannot get access to it without trespass?

I would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on exactly where I stand with my boundary and fence?

This is the eternal problem with panel fences - you are stuck with six foot multiples and the conservatory footings will prevent a reliable fix. There are much better alternatives available.

When the conservatory was built it effectively became the boundary feature and anything placed adjacent to it was on your land, duplicate boundary features are never a good idea. What should have happened is the fence continued from the rear corner of the conservatory - on their land.
arborlad

arborlad

Re: Cut and dry boundary; surely?

Postby arborlad » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:34 pm

arborlad wrote:It makes sense to me to have everything concerning one problem contained in one thread, to that end, if you have something to contribute to either of these two threads: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19228

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20195

.............add it here.

Moderation of any sort doesn't seem to be happening so self-moderation might be the answer.

Action this day please.

It's iniquitous the OP should be disadvantaged in this way.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby arborlad » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:10 pm

Thank you Winnie :)
arborlad

arborlad

Postby cleo5 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:13 pm

Gavski,
I have looked at all the photos closely and I agree with your estimation as initially I too counted the bricks and got the midway point which followed carefully down joins the conservatory wall.

(Why did he have to build the thing right up against the boundary anyway?)
Part of the eaves would obviously overhang your garden(surely an intrusion into your space (unless agreed with by previous owner).

From one of the photos it seems quite clear that the fence with the trellis on it stands in your garden. It is certaily not in line with the conservatory wall Whoever erected the fence erected it on your land.

Perhaps the fence should be taken down and new one - or a wall- erected from where the conservatory ends and this fencing / wall, either high or low, continued on down the rest of your garden on the true dividing line. Cost to be bourne by you if you claim ownership or both parties if you agree to a shared boundary fence or wall.
This would make things easier for both parties and for subsequent buyers of each property.
It would also mean you will lose the privacy you now have and the top windows can be opened over your garden. You might put some tall evergreen shrubs in front to block out the conservatory windows.
It's all expense but cheaper than involving solicitors and such.

Or you could employ a surveyor to mark out the boundary according to both houses' deeds. He will also tell you how much of the remaining fence further down the garden is where it should be and a post and line guide put in to mark the correct line.
Copy of the report should be offered to neighbour and then all fence /wall/ whatever acta as boundary moved to the correct spot.
Perhaps it would be best to remove your climbers from his conservatory wall and grrow tall shrubs in part- pots against the wall .
Trachelospermum or honeysuckle or similar would bush out and provide greenery there.
It is all best sorted now rather than drag on interminably.

My neighbour insists my left boundary wall is his.(to his right) He also claims the boundary on his left is his. Two boundaries in fact.
It is my wall. On my deeds and I have to maintain it. My land is 5ft plus lower than his. so his garden will fall into mine if the wall falls down but he insists it's. It was built from my side , heaped earth all my side (or was till I removed it).
So I said Ok we'll share it.Peace!.
We're both nearly dead so I'm past caring.
Try to find some way of resolution otherwise it can stress you out.
Mac,
Your link led to the photo.
Maybe some users have different browsers and see something different.
cleo5

Postby COGGY » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi Cleo
How I identify with your comment

We're both nearly dead so I'm past caring.

Not that I feel I am about to "pop my clogs" and I am sure you don't feel that either (you appear quite young from your comments on here) just that we reach a time in life when we know it will not go on for ever and so must be careful not to waste it. Life is meant to be enjoyed and trouble is best avoided if possible.

Kind regards Coggy

Sorry to have hijacked the thread
COGGY

Postby ukmicky » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:17 pm

Tell him as far as you are concerned its your fence as its on your land unless he can legally prove anything different.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Boundaries