Boundary fence replacement question.

Boundary fence replacement question.

Postby Lucalexa » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:44 pm

Hi, I have a question about some proposed improvements we're about to make to our boundary hedge, which is made up of self-seeded trees (for the last 30 years!).

We've established that the boundary in question is ours - our deeds clearly show the 'T' symbol etc. We are proposing removing all the trees along the boundry and replacing them with a leylandii hedge.

Our neighbours have said that it's a problem because they "like the trees". Do we legally have to consider our neighbours or can we just go ahead and make the change?[/url]
Lucalexa

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:29 pm

I suggest before you even think about a leylandi hedge you consider the extensive maintenance required

The effect of these hedges on the soil and the decimation of your neighbours side too

The turning of the soil to acid and the inability of growing anything near the hedge

Add on the new High Hedges Law which comes into force on June 1st and the very last thing in the world that will be popular is planting a new leylandi hedge

see www.hedgeline.org for details and read all about the misery these hedges cause for the neighbours on the other side

If I were your neighbour i would be mighty upset ..........because i already know the hell such hedges cause
despair

Postby Lucalexa » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:57 pm

Agreed - we've had an afternoon of contemplation about the leylandi (after quickly reading an Alan Titmarsh book). We're currently thinking of less, erm, offensive alternative :-)
Lucalexa

Postby despair » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:08 pm

Laurel
Pyracantha
Escallonia
Beech
Mahonia
Yellow privett
variegated privett
Forsythia

all spring to mind

but best of all is ......Red Robin ......cant think of its latin name though
despair

Postby Lucalexa » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:20 pm

Thanks despair!!!
Lucalexa

Postby despair » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:26 pm

PHOTINIA is red robin and its beautiful

The more you trim it the more red you get
despair

Postby Lucalexa » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:46 pm

yes it is..

It seems that the situation has evolved now..
The neighbours have checked their deeds and it is a shared boundary.

We are meeting up tomorrow to come to an aggreement on what to do to this overgrown hedge..( well it was originally one 30 years ago).
Hopefully we could chop what is dead and replace it by something more suitable which will serve it's purpose.
As we have little kids we do not want them to venture into their side and at thie moment there is holes in the fence!
Lucalexa

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Boundaries