How To Establish Boundary?

Re: How To Establish Boundary?

Postby ukmicky » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:11 pm

ParallelLines wrote:This is because in next door's deeds the plot width is measured. They are a semi so the measurement is taken from their party wall to the edge of their plot.

There is a boundary post behind the gates in the photo, then another post only a few metres behind.

A string line through those posts to the front point should be fairly accurate no???

I am just trying to relate their existing garage size to to the boundary so I can make sense of whatever dimension they submit on their plans.

A straight boundary line is a legal presumption but a measurement on a deed is not something which carries and legal weight unless the deeds state it has been determine under section 60 of the Land Registration Act 2002. Most measurements on deeds are not.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby ParallelLines » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:06 pm

I see - thanks.

Fortunately my neighbours are accepting this measurement as the end point so to speak.

A straight boundary line may be a legal presumption but I find it a hard thing to measure in practice, what with fencing and many shrubs mingling with the boundary posts.

Anyway luckily I can't see the boundary line being a huge issue, at least hopefully not.
ParallelLines

Postby arborlad » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:08 am

Are there remnants of posts at the front?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby ParallelLines » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:20 am

Possibly under the lawn because people sometimes cut them off leaving some of it underground.

The thing is I don't need to know to the exact cm, more to within say 10cm.

Would string through the two existing posts to the front end point be a reasonable guide? The distance is about 20m.
ParallelLines

Postby arborlad » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:40 am

ParallelLines wrote:Possibly under the lawn because people sometimes cut them off leaving some of it underground.

The thing is I don't need to know to the exact cm, more to within say 10cm.

Possibly not, but the more concise you can be the better, the thickness of a rendering coat was recently quoted as a transgression.

Would string through the two existing posts to the front end point be a reasonable guide? The distance is about 20m

Yes, or along the edges, if this also coincides with the 10m dimension, so much the better, if not the existing posts will take precedence, even more so if you can locate one under the lawn.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby ParallelLines » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:10 pm

The thickness of a render coat??? You have to be kidding!!!

The place I live, local builders look at hanging soffits and gutters over the boundary as a sort of badge of honour. There is this one particular road where about ten of the houses have done it. Most were extended in the early 2000's.

Don't you start to look like a vexatious claimant in a case like your render one? Does there have to be an underlying justification atall? I take it there is a very high corrolation with property values and it was Mayfair or somewhere like that.

I can't really see there being any winners if one party builds over the boundary line.

The string advice is most helpful anyway, might get the metal detector out if it really comes to it, which I'm sure it won't.
ParallelLines

Postby arborlad » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:14 pm

ParallelLines wrote:The thickness of a render coat??? You have to be kidding!!!.

.............I've searched but can't find it :?

It was in connection with scaffolding but I didn't respond to it so can't search on that basis.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:42 pm

Hi PL,

is that 20m from post to end point?

these two posts you're using as a proxy for the entire boundary line - what stands between them right now within the realms of where the boundary might be?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:08 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi PL,

these two posts you're using as a proxy for the entire boundary line - what stands between them right now within the realms of where the boundary might be?

Kind regards, Mac

'Proxy' - what a strange turn of phrase. What in your vast experience leads you to that conclusion.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby arborlad » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:41 pm

ParallelLines wrote:........... I find it a hard thing to measure in practice, what with fencing and many shrubs mingling with the boundary posts. .

Generally speaking, working at ground level is easier than at height, measure from the base of one post and place a peg, repeat at the second post, a taut string line between those pegs and continued to the pavement will give you a position, mark that then move over the distance measured from the posts - job done :)
arborlad

arborlad

Postby ParallelLines » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 pm

Kind regards, Mac

Hi Mac, thanks for the interest.

It is clear between these two posts luckily. The forward most one just behind the gates still has the original wire wrapped round the central hole.
ParallelLines

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:46 pm

Hi PL,

It is clear between these two posts luckily.

so does that mean you and your neighbour can pass from one garden to the other at will between these posts?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:33 am

so does that mean you and your neighbour can pass from one garden to the other at will between these posts?

Kind regards, Mac

No.

I find it a hard thing to measure in practice, what with fencing and many shrubs mingling with the boundary posts.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:52 am

arborlad wrote:

Kind regards, Mac

No.

I find it a hard thing to measure in practice, what with fencing and many shrubs mingling with the boundary posts.
that's what I thought - so if there is "fencing and many shrubs mingling" how does PL know these two fence posts mark the boundary?

from all I have read on his postings I suspect picking these two post may have more to do with it fitting nicely with his agenda.

to the OP - can we have a photo please?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:14 am

MacadamB53 wrote:
arborlad wrote:

Kind regards, Mac

No.

that's what I thought - so if there is "fencing and many shrubs mingling" how does PL know these two fence posts mark the boundary?

from all I have read on his postings I suspect picking these two post may have more to do with it fitting nicely with his agenda.

to the OP - can we have a photo please?

Kind regards, Mac

.............another deluded one.

The OP says they are, the neighbour agrees with the OP, a surveyor who has visited the site and has viewed the posts agrees with the OP and the neighbour - you alone seem to have a different view!
arborlad

arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Boundaries