How To Establish Boundary?

Re: How To Establish Boundary?

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:23 am

Hi arborlad,

the OP says they are.

his friend the surveyor agreed to have a chat with the neighbour and say the boundary was where the OP suggested - ie based on using the measurement on neighbour's deeds rather than where the fence posts suggest.

the neighbour decided to let it lie.

neither the surveyor friend or the neighbour have agreed that running a line through two posts and beyond will mark the boundary - that idea had not even been formed when that discussion took place.

you yourself advised three posts would be a good start.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby arborlad » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:46 pm

arborlad wrote:
ParallelLines wrote:........... I find it a hard thing to measure in practice, what with fencing and many shrubs mingling with the boundary posts. .

Generally speaking, working at ground level is easier than at height, measure from the base of one post and place a peg, repeat at the second post, a taut string line between those pegs and continued to the pavement will give you a position, mark that then move over the distance measured from the posts - job done :)

Should've added, because the posts are shared, half the thickness of the posts = about 2"/50mm.

It will achieve a level of accuracy that far exceeds your 10cm goal.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby ParallelLines » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:52 pm

Cheers arbor.

Mac - just to clear things up, when I spoke about shrubs in the way I was meaning in the back garden between the back boundary post and the other two that remain.

The two infront are clear.

The surveyor is a neighbour, he wouldn't be on one side or the other.

Anyway the boundary line is all cleared up now thanks.
ParallelLines

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:38 pm

Hi PL,

so, to recap…

1. you have an agreed 'end point' at the front which has been decided upon by taking the measurement on the neighbour's deeds and measuring from his partywall back towards your gaff.

2. there are two fence posts which you have agreed are original and therefore straddling the boundary (i.e. the original fence was declared a shared fence).

3. you're going to run a line of string between these two posts and beyond until it reaches the front boundary.

obvious question - what happens if/when the string does not meet the agreed 'end point'?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:43 pm

ParallelLines wrote:Anyway the boundary line is all cleared up now thanks.

That's good to know, thanks.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby arborlad » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:47 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:
so, to recap…

obvious question -

:roll:
arborlad

arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:15 am

:roll:
too right!

I only went and overlooked the most important sentence from the OP:
Anyway the boundary line is all cleared up now thanks.
sorry PL - glad all is sorted.

All the best; Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:25 am

Admin, can these threads be merged please: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20044
arborlad

arborlad

Postby ParallelLines » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:50 pm

Good evening Gentlemen.

I may have been a little hasty when I said this was all cleared up :lol: .

My neighbour has put in for PP for his extension. They have used an agent who has said the following to the planning department:

"Please note that in reality the front gardens are 'Open-Plan' and it is difficult to determine the exact boundary as it is not defined so this line has been extrapolated from a fence post at the back of the existing Garage between the two properties and it does tie in with the OS Location Plan."

So a boundary line has been placed on the plans on this basis.

Our neighbour didn't provide us with a set of plans or have any discussion about where the boundary line is.

I am concerned my neighbours may be relying upon a method that is not correct. Also they did not ask us if we agreed with it or not.

What do you think? Is this a valid method?

It sounds to me the agent has extrapolated the line from the fence post at the back of the garage to where our grass meets their drive where they hit the pavement.
ParallelLines

Postby ParallelLines » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:06 pm

FYI there is a photo on page two.

The first boundary post is behind the central gate post, there is another a few yards back and a third at the rear boundary.

The fencing is inside the boundary and pulling to our side.

I am waiting to see what dimensions the planning office give me for this 'boundary' from the plans.
ParallelLines

Postby arborlad » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:15 am

arborlad wrote:
ParallelLines wrote:Possibly under the lawn because people sometimes cut them off leaving some of it underground.

The thing is I don't need to know to the exact cm, more to within say 10cm.

Possibly not, but the more concise you can be the better, the thickness of a rendering coat was recently quoted as a transgression.

Would string through the two existing posts to the front end point be a reasonable guide? The distance is about 20m

Yes, or along the edges, if this also coincides with the 10m dimension, so much the better, if not the existing posts will take precedence, even more so if you can locate one under the lawn.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby arborlad » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:13 am

ParallelLines wrote:The first boundary post is behind the central gate post, there is another a few yards back and a third at the rear boundary.

Are you able to mark the boundary yourself, if so, do it today.

The fencing is inside the boundary and pulling to our side.

Disregard that fence, it is of no consequence in deciding the limit of your land.

I am waiting to see what dimensions the planning office give me for this 'boundary' from the plans

Don't wait, it is nothing to do with planning how much land you've got.

It sounds to me the agent has extrapolated the line from the fence post at the back of the garage to where our grass meets their drive where they hit the pavement.

Do you believe there to be the remnants of a concrete post in that area, if so, it is very much in your best interests to locate and mark that post.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby ParallelLines » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:56 pm

Thanks Arbor.

I am not able to string the two posts because there is stuff in the way.

The situation is not affecting me as such but my neighbours. They haven't agreed the boundary with us and could be in danger of developing over it by relying on what the agent did.

I have asked a Surveyor and he said a simple letter from our solicitor reminding them the boundary line hasn't been agreed would suffice.

My point is had they knocked on our door and asked if we would agree the line then we would have been very keen to as long as it was where we were expecting it to be.

But the boundary line is not agreed, they are developing and someone could find a cut off boundary post in the future that could result in a different line to the one they are building very close to.

A few weeks ago I found out if there is one buried under the paving it will be at the corner of our front elevation. So I do know exactly where it will be if it is still under that brickwork paving.

Their extension is on the same footprint as the existing garage so it's not a case of boundary grabbing, more of an error of process.

It's not very good having to send a Solicitor's letter to next door but I am infact trying to help them.
ParallelLines

Postby arborlad » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:42 pm

ParallelLines wrote:Thanks Arbor.

I am not able to string the two posts because there is stuff in the way.

Then employ somebody who can - preferably a fencer.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby ParallelLines » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:57 pm

I appreciate the input but I don't have any need to measure anything on the boundary.

The purpose of the post was to express my surprise at my neighbour developing very close to a boundary that isn't even agreed, as a warning to others to be careful about this.

It's a risky game declaring a boundary line without agreeing it with your neighbour first on a boundary that is not currently that clear.
ParallelLines

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Boundaries