Neighbour permanently leaves the bins at my house boundary

Re: Neighbour permanently leaves the bins at my house bounda

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:58 am

Hi pasta,

if she doesn't get it do as we're all suggesting - self remedy is your main option.
you could ask the council to make her aware she needs to keep their bin on her land - that might help.
for security purposes you could install a self-closing gate across the entranceway (swings inwards) - the inconvenience this will cause might prompt a rethink.

All the best, Mac
MacadamB53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby arborlad » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:41 pm

pasta26 wrote:Dear all,

i just bought a house and just moved in 2 months ago.
i faced below issue with my neighbor and tried to talk to my neighbor nicely just now.
But she shut the door, refuse to talk to me.

[issue explained in next post]

Might be best to speak to the previous owners of your house to see if there were any permissions given or unresolved issues - do this before you take any actions.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:04 pm

arborlad wrote:
pasta26 wrote:Dear all,

i just bought a house and just moved in 2 months ago.
i faced below issue with my neighbor and tried to talk to my neighbor nicely just now.
But she shut the door, refuse to talk to me.

[issue explained in next post]

Might be best to speak to the previous owners of your house to see if there were any permissions given or unresolved issues - do this before you take any actions.
+1
MacadamB53

Postby pasta26 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:26 am

arborlad wrote:

the previous owner declared on the house contract that the neighbour could pass through the rear garden to take their bins out.
pasta26

Dear all,

my neighbour removed the bins, the walkway is clear now.
so, you are right, may be from her perspective she has done it for years and is used to having her bins there as a convenience to her.
it took her a while to get the message.
i have no intention for any fight. but i learnt valueless lesson from all fellow members here.
Patient and consideration are the key for good relationship with the neighbour.
thank you very much
pasta26

since the rudely shut the door incident, the relationship is tension.
as the bins are removed, i really appreciate their understanding.
i am thinking to write a small thank you note and leave at the neighbour's house.
sound something like below
"thank you very much for removing the bins. We appreciate your consideration and understanding."
i prefer not to knock on the neighbour's door for this purpose, they might think i want to create another trouble with them.

your comment to leave the thank you note please?
pasta26

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:45 am

Hi pasta,

I think a 'thank you' note is a very good idea - might want to emphasise you recognise she's done a good thing "we appreciate this might not be your preferred option and are therefore grateful even more so. we are glad we have been able to quickly settle our disagreement and consider the whole issue as water under the bridge."

All the best, Mac
PS having a nice bunch of flowers delivered might be an idea too.
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:53 am

pasta26 wrote:i prefer not to knock on the neighbour's door for this purpose, they might think i want to create another trouble with them.

Not if you've got a bottle of their favourite tipple in your hand :)
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:07 am

Hi pasta,

arborlad gives good advice - to you, and in general.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby jonahinoz » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:05 am

Hi,

I don't think the bins belong to your neighbour, I think they belong to the council. (The local dog warden told my neighbour to pick up his dog's exhaust and put it in a bin ... any bin).

If your neighbour leaves her bin on your property, pehaps she is inviting you to deposit your rubbish it it? :D If nothing else, it might persuade her to discuss the matter.

There is no requirement to close a gate behind you, so maybe there is no requirement to replace her bin after you have moved it out of your way. But maybe that would count as fly tipping on the pavement. ??? Does she access the bin from her front door? How inconvenient would it be for you to move the bin to the far end of the walkway ... still on your property so not fly tipping. How inconvenient for her to then access it? Er ... if she puts something on your property, is that fly tipping?

Me, if I was her? I would cut a gap in the wall between my front garden and the walkway, store the bins in my front garden (maybe not pretty) and take them out on bin day through the gap. But hey, that's what her existing front gate is for.

Or put one of your bins in front of hers ... and forget to put it out for a couple of weeks. Yes, she has the right to put her bins out via your walkway. But what will it cost her to enforce it?

Send her a bill for the rent on the space her bins occupy.

Or you could ask the council to remove their bin from your property.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby jonahinoz » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:18 am

Hi,

Sorry, I looked at the map again ... I assumed that your neighbour lived at No.30. She is cheekier than I first thought.

I can see why she does it, but she knew what the situation was when she bought her house. Have you checked LR to see if she is owner/tennant, and what her deeds say about the matter.

Her bins in her front garden would solve everything, but maybe she would feel that is beneath her. Tough! Why should you have to look at her bins?

John W
jonahinoz

Postby dantheaxeman » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Should something similar arise in future, one potential solution would be to install a lockable gate and unlock it on bin day.
dantheaxeman

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Boundaries