paper title holder disposessing an adverse possessor

Re: paper title holder disposessing an adverse possessor

Postby jdfi » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:21 pm

mugwump wrote:
Ah no. I know from an audit of documents that there is nothing for this site. I no longer work for that company. I happen to live near the site.... so an idea is forming....

Is this the land ownership version of insider trading? :)

Yes, essentially.
jdfi

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: paper title holder disposessing an adverse possessor

Postby cleo5 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:48 am

Jdfi,
I couldn't answer your query (in response to my post)"Does this make me a bad person" because I had forgotten my password and just couldn't get a new one until now. Something was wrong with the system.
No! Of course it doesn't make you a bad person.

As long as the owner is not a neighbour or someone you know who has no idea of what you are doing and would be shattered to find they have lost their land by your action , and if it is land that no one has bothered about, then by all means fence it in ,put a shed on the site if you wish, and then wait out the 12 years? but make sure you apply to register it once your 10/12 years are up. If you do that the paper owner has lost it. The paper owner may or may not see the fence and act upon it before the 12years are up and then you won't get it anyway.

So you just happened to be in a position to know the owner is unknown and the land is unregistered. A bit of luck perhaps being in the right place at the right time. It happens all the time. I don't think it can bear any resemblance to insider trading as that usually involves a lot of other people's money entrusted to banks and such.
If the owner valued his land then he/she should have fenced it or tended it.
It might be land the owner has unknowingly inherited or the owner died leaving no heirs.So no loss to him anyway.
Having just been a victim of adverse possession, I feel very anti AP but that's just me.
Now I know people should keep a watch on their possessions(incl land) or risk losing it.
I have read up all I could find on the subject and still find it confusing but can see it may be a good thing in some circumstances where wasted land is causing concern and where it could be utilised by someone else.
Good Luck!
cleo5

Previous

Return to Boundaries