Would appreciate some advice please

Re: Would appreciate some advice please

Postby jonahinoz » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:51 am

Hi,

There are regulations about replacing existing windows, but I don't know if they apply to windows in store rooms. It might be cheaper to brick them up? It might even be beneficial for you to offer to brick them up, at your expense?

You say the windows are dilapidated. Could the rest of the building be described in the same way, such that it is in a dangerous state, and the Council should be involved? Does the store have/need PP for for whatever is being stored ... food, paint, or whatever?

OT, but amusing, sort of. My father's bungalow in South London had one boundary that was a factory wall ... about 25 yards by about 10ft high. My father noticed it was leaning over his garden, and was scarcely supporting the roof, so he told the owner. The owner said he would replace it with a concrete block wall. Dad (being Yorkshire's answer to Alf Garnet) demanded it was rebuilt as original ... London Flettons (?) The owner agreed, and work commenced. The old bricks were taken down and saved. The owner paid an "itinerant" labourer £600 cash, to clean up the bricks, and stack them tidily.

That made it so much easier for the "itinerant" to return at the weekend, with a lorry ... and nick the lot

John W
jonahinoz

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby biblee » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi

Thanks for the previous input. I managed to locate the owner and they have now completed the "repair" work on the building, guttering and windows, so that is a good thing. I am now wanting to actually erect a fence up because unfortunately they chose the option to leave the windows and so I still have my privacy issues.

I have tried searching and I am slightly confused over what this fence can and cannot be and how far away from the building/windows it needs to be and what height it can be. Any clear guidance (or direction to this guidance) would be much appreciated.
biblee

Postby cleo5 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:39 pm

You can erect a fence up to 2 metres high.
If that isn't high enough then put trellis on top and plant climbing roses, clematis or tall evergreen shrubs in front of fence to give added privacy.
By the time they cover the fence you won't see anything of the store.
cleo5

Postby Collaborate » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:40 pm

cleo5 wrote:You can erect a fence up to 2 metres high.
If that isn't high enough then put trellis on top and plant climbing roses, clematis or tall evergreen shrubs in front of fence to give added privacy.
By the time they cover the fence you won't see anything of the store.

The height of the fence including trellis cannot be more than 2m without PP.
Collaborate

Postby pilman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:18 pm

Although the maximum height of a fence that is granted planning permission by Part 2 Class A of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order is 2 metres, the height of an out-building erected in the curtilage of a dwellinghouse under Part 1 Class E, can be 2.5 metres high if erected within 2 metres of the boundary. A building of that height could then be erected right on the boundary.

The GPDO has a definition of what constitutes a building.
“building”—
(a) includes any structure or erection and, except in Class F of Part 2, Class B of Part 11,
Classes A to I of Part 14, Classes A, B and C of Part 16 and Class T of Part 19, of
Schedule 2, includes any part of a building; and
(b) does not include plant or machinery and, in Schedule 2, except in Class F of Part 2 and
Class C of Part 11, does not include any gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure;

What that means is that a building that has a height of 2.5 metres could be located right in front of the windows of the store building, although a normal type of fence can only be 2 metres high.
Designing a "structure" which is not a fence is the way to ensure that there is no view of your garden from the windows if a 2 metre fence is not high enough to do that.

A simple form of shelter with 100mm square wooden uprights would be a structure not a fence and the part that is in front of a window can be clad with horizontal boarding to completely prevent any view into a garden.

The cost of a simple structure with 4 corner posts would be no different from erecting a fence, so that would be the option available to consider if a fence of 2 metres height will not prevent a view of your garden.

Perhaps the 500mm height difference of an erected building could be useful.
pilman

Previous

Return to Boundaries