Neighbour has errected a sign on shared boundry

Neighbour has errected a sign on shared boundry

Postby jfriend » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:19 pm

I am not sure this is the right section you put this please correct me if its not.

A neighbour of mine has issued a somewhat passive aggressive sign on the fence (standard stock fence) between his and my property. This is the back of my property and no where near a public right of way. The Fence is almost certainly owned by him.
The sign is facing into my property and is a Country Watch one issued by the police which states "you are being watched" in bold with blue top and bottom.
The sign is clearly viable from my kitchen and bedroom windows although the words can not me made out at this distance. his land is at the top of a small hill giving it visual prominence.
I have photos I can attach later once I gain permission (a Google image search of "country watch sign" brings up an example in the first few images)

A 2nd sign has also been erected along the boundary with another residential neighbour.

For a bit of the back story;
His land is an equestrian property (no residential or business use allowed per a previous planning application) but has on it sited a mobile home. There is an active planning application to convert this mobile home to residential use as an Agricultural Workers Dwelling.
I have submitted an objection to this planning application (along with numinous other nearby residents) and I therefore suspect the the erection of this sign is a result of that.

My understanding of the situation is that I can do little about the placement of the sign, and I appreciate that I am lucky they I have (mostly) a nice open view of a field behind my property.
I believe the signs were erected in order to elicit a response and so I am reluctant to do so. but I am considering erecting a simple board placed on my property to hide the sign from my view.

I welcome any comments that could be interesting or useful.

Thanks
jfriend

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour has errected a sign on shared boundry

Postby arborlad » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:40 pm

jfriend wrote: This is the back of my property and no where near a public right of way.

Has he erected signs elsewhere that are visible to the public?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby jfriend » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:49 pm

arborlad wrote:
jfriend wrote: This is the back of my property and no where near a public right of way.

Has he erected signs elsewhere that are visible to the public?

No, there is a public highway along one side of his property, no signs can be seen there.
jfriend

Postby stufe35 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:33 pm

So put up a board, he moves his sign along a bit...and on it goes.

He wants a response ...give him none and you've won.
stufe35

Postby mr sheen » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:27 pm

He can put whatever he wants on his fence...and he obviously knows this.
Make a big deal out of it and he
achieves what he has set out to achieve that you feel annoyed and adrenaline fuelled and he gloats as you can do nothing about it.
Ignore it and get on with your life, he's the one with planning issues causing him stress.
mr sheen

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:07 pm

Hi jfriend,

just ignore it - come Spring it'll be weathered beyond belief (assisted by some surreptitious dousing with a watering can ;) ).

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby jonahinoz » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:14 am

Hi,

I agree, the best way to win is to refuse to fight.

But idle curiosity ... I'm sure I have seen reference to SIGNS in the Planning Acts, but don't have the reference books to hand.

I'd be inclined to take a photograph, with something in the background that can be dated (newspaper?), and keep for any future Appeal.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby arborlad » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:28 pm

jfriend wrote:I believe the signs were erected in order to elicit a response and so I am reluctant to do so.

I think you are right not to respond, it'll only lead to some sort of tit-for-tat which can soon escalate.

Not responding in this context, usually means behaving towards the neighbour in the same way that you did the day before the sign went up.

Forget the watering can!
arborlad

arborlad

Postby ukmicky » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:38 am

Grow a plant in a movable pot in front of it.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby Clifford Pope » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:59 pm

jfriend wrote: (along with numinous other nearby residents)

Numinous -" having a strong religious or spiritual quality; indicating or suggesting the presence of a divinity."

? :)
Clifford Pope

Postby jfriend » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Clifford Pope wrote:
jfriend wrote: (along with numinous other nearby residents)

Numinous -" having a strong religious or spiritual quality; indicating or suggesting the presence of a divinity."

? :)

well we do have some interesting folk around these parts and everyone seem to be seeing the signs, but that is a typo, should be numerous.

Thanks for your input everyone.

An interesting update on this;

Without bring up my situation I have communicated with a community officer to understand the guidelines for the erection of these signs, typically there are no official guidelines.
I was also given 2 of the signs myself, they seems very eager to give them away.

The other resident who also has a sign on their boundary has spoken to the police to complain about the location of the signs, the officer has stated that it is the intention that the signs are located in view of the public and not between private boundaries, he will be making a visit to the person who has put up the signs and impressing upon him the intended use.
jfriend

Postby arborlad » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:42 pm

jfriend wrote:I was also given 2 of the signs myself, they seems very eager to give them away.

:) :) ..............need any suggestions for where to locate them :)

Just joking, I still think the best response is no response. Thanks for the update.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby Clifford Pope » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:15 pm

It might be amusing to take the sign down (at night) and refix it facing the fence.
He might still see the outline but would be unable to check without trespassing.
Or you could try replacing it with your own sign of the same size.
:)
Clifford Pope

Postby jdfi » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:43 am

Is the top of the sign more than 2 metres from the ground?
jdfi

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:28 am

Is the top of the sign more than 2 metres from the ground?

Hi jdfi,

I think that only applies to PD within (without?) the environs of a dwelling. As this is an equestrian business, he cannot even claim it is agricultural ... but maybe the police are an exempt organisation?

Memory says there is something about PD for signs in the Act.

John W
jonahinoz

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Boundaries