shed built on boundary lines

shed built on boundary lines

Postby gadily » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:13 pm

weve got the unusual shed built on boundary lines

Ive found this discussion upon it
Help with Boundary rules please. posted by guysie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:26 pm
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18642

but i am struggerling to find out any details on what i can and cant do with it

my dads old shed ( 34 years old and older ) and built with the old birkby bricks all around this build is built on the boundary walls before we moved into the property 34 years ago when I myself was a child
the boundary walls theres 3 of them 1 is to the boundary on the highway and pathway the other 2 are at the back of the shed as well as the other side the discription below is how it looked 8 years ago

the side wall is facing the rd the rear is towards the next door neighbours and the other side is the next door neighbours land we have a front entrance that has a solid door upon it onto our land but the shed is on our land but encroaches onto the next door neighbours garden as some would say

that i have full usage now used to be plyboard and torch on felt with a window in the middle for light
never liked it so first thing i did to it was redo the shed roof and use box profile roofing as got it for a bargain
one big mistake wasnt aware that it drips like a swine when cold and still drips often when your inside warming it up with breathing

has condensation problems with metal roofing

on a further upgrade I checked the roof height that could be built and changed it to an apex roof you can see with the above picture however the next door neighbour says its an eyesore and that he dosnt like it and has complained to the council about the shed
upon the council visit we became aware of the overhang on the rd isnt exceptable and have been advised to trim back and have our gutter on the boundary wall and that is the only issue from the council as no water must all onto the pavement off the shed roof

unable to link pictures as a newbie

as you can see we have 3 boundary walls which is also on the plans as well its old property and land swaps is what we had to put up with which can be nothing but trouble

I suspect the neighbour has quoted the shed is a new build which it is far from it the shed roof is but nothing else ive also kept under the 2.5m rule which i had found out before commencing to build the roof
however it did have a sloping roof this has been changed twice to a higher slope over the years the final build was the sloping roof

something that the neighbour had been informed of doing but not in writing only after the apex wall was built where it was questioned and i proved that it wouldnt go no higher than what was illustrated which he then excepted on the day

once built the only issue that we have had was to do with the council and highways about the run off going onto the highway side which is a big no no and we have agreed to change it
also the neighbour has demanded that we remove the gutter from the overhang thats been there for 35 years and has been renewed whilst the previous residents lived there as we both got water from the gutter for watering plants in the garden and was never disputed

with also this in mind ive decide on a be and end all complaints after this and propose to do the slope from the rear to the front where the doorway is and build walls either side of the shed and lift the rear to the required height needed to run off the water to be collected within guttering

to add insult to injury weve already lost a piece of land due to land registry and a neighbour squable something that was registered 34 years ago that was well maintained by ourselves and during a land dispute 15 years later that also included the shed as many a person thinks its theres we lost the land due to a council saying it belongs to them the neighbour yet was on my parents deeds from the day we moved in 15 years later,
next door moved in about a year and a 1/4 and weve had nothing but trouble since because many dont like that shed there and due to shed dispute the land has only just been taken back recently

thanks for reading gaz

there is one other thing i have to deal with I have a rocket burner type of wood burner thats homemade that uses secondary air so gives a much cleaner burn when used ive proven already that its smokeless when in use but thats just there in the shed for warmth whilst busy in there I do believe that we are not in a smokeless zone but have to check with the council on that so may have to prove that the system that i am using is smokeless

this system is used with just a single flue liner for the flue and is below the minimum requirement of 600mm above the apex roof therefore does need changing to this requirement however it could still be under dispute something to do with it being so close to the highway but weve had no letter as of yet saying that it cannot be used as the council visit person said that he would be checking with enviromental health on this issue

we have been to council and do believe we was assigned to somebody but we still dont have any info on the roof or the height of it yet still have to submit a letter to check on if we need planning permission or not also with drawings involved drawn to scale and thats costing 86.00 just for that checking status

I am aware that the roof has to change and therefor my proposal is for the roof to slope onto our land but would require the sides to be built higher and also the back so it slopes towards our land for a good run off but i cant find the information on the net only here and somewhere else ive joined both forums seeking advice upon the subject at planning didnt get any info at all but i will be trying again to find these details out
gadily

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: shed built on boundary lines

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi gaz,

welcome to the forum...

...wow!!

that is one monster of a first post - at over 1,100 words long it sure is long and with only six punctuated sentences its tough to follow.

crucially, it lacks a point - ie why did you post it? you don't ask for any advice but nor do you share any info that might help others...

I politely recommend you start again, maybe after drafting things and reading them back to yourself to check they'll make sense to a stranger...

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Janieb » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Sorry. It's too complicated to read easily. Perhaps breaking it down into smaller chunks and more punctuation will help.

I'm not uninterested, just confused.
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
Janieb

Postby gadily » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:47 pm

with only six punctuated sentences its tough to follow.

because i cant do them never could do

anyway back to the subject

have a shed built on the boundary walls thats been up for over 35 year,s we have 3 boundary walls to contend with

the highway boundary wall, the rear wall being a boundary wall and the other side also a boundary wall, both the rear and one side is a boundary wall to the next door neighbours garden one of the walls is a single brick boundary wall

ive done some internet searching on how high that i could build the roof height before i made any alterations which was anything up too 2.5m

so i built a shallow apex roof only 9" taller than the old existing sloping roof that sloped away from the road onto next doors land and created an apex roof

the next door neighbour quoted it as a eyesore and didnt like it

we was then only reported to the council after I installed a wood burner inside of the shed 2 months later

we have had a council visit already discussing the usage of the shed and there only complaint was the apex run off of water onto the highway which is a no no in the council eyes and we was advised to get in touch with the planning department to check if we need planning or not

we now have to spend 86.00 and supply achitect drawings just to find out if we need planning for the shed

the advise that im needing to find out is what can i do I cant find any info on a shed built on the boundarys other than here so I dont know the true height that i can build too im also wanting to propose a chnage to the roof and finaly slope it towards our land but that means lifting the rear end height to slope it towards our own land for collection of water as no water must fall on next doors land and the guttering has already been up for 30+ years and the new neighbour wants it off his land as over the boundary
gadily

Postby Collaborate » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:10 pm

You could try. It looks like a dot on your keyboard.
Collaborate

Postby span » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:16 pm

. dot
dot .
dot dot
. .

s'easy-peasy.

Anyhoo, if your guttering has been overhanging the boundary for 30 years then you neighbour is too late now complaining about it. Too late by about ten years.

dot
span

Postby jdfi » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:37 am

Did the roof overhang before you fitted a new roof?

Can you draw a plan?
jdfi

Postby gadily » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:47 am

thankyou for reading the post so far MacadamB53 and Janieb

ive already explained that i cannot use full stops or commas

so what happened to being respectful to users of the site I am a newbie to the forum seeking advice

I am a mod on other sites and one of the forum etiquates is that you dont pick on peoples failings you are polite and respectful to other users

was there any need for this

Collaborate wrote:You could try. It looks like a dot on your keyboard.

span wrote:. dot
dot .
dot dot
. .

s'easy-peasy.

Anyhoo, if your guttering has been overhanging the boundary for 30 years then you neighbour is too late now complaining about it. Too late by about ten years.

dot
gadily

Postby arborlad » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:51 am

arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby gadily » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:54 am

jdfi wrote:Did the roof overhang before you fitted a new roof?

Can you draw a plan?

thanks for the post the original roof sloped about 15 degrees away from the main rd onto next doors land and overhung at this point where it dropped into the guttering and down the downpipe

ive never drawn plan's to scale drawings, drawn some basic ones and produced them down at council but wouldnt except them as in pencil and not to scale however had all sizes of the shed within our boundaries included

thankyou arborlad id found that one and used the reference of 2.5m for the roof height not needing planning permission so ive kept well below that by building too 2.2m high with an apex roof

but im dealing with a shed built actualy on the boundary wall

i found this discussion on this site

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18642
gadily

Postby gadily » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:22 pm

its easier if i show the pictures

our property is old and has been land swaped over the years the back garden was swapped for the front shed before we moved into the property 35 years ago

first picture shows how it was built

dropbox is a personal account for uploading files too

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebkli0zq2kixz ... 2.jpg?dl=0

the photo is taken on our path heading towards the main rd

the front view of the changes to the apex roof

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8r29fip60ffrr ... 5.jpg?dl=0

and the rear view

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m14ln1sp5ie21 ... 5.jpg?dl=0

as you can see the shed is built right next door to the main road and is built on the boundary walls
gadily

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi gadily,

I hope you don't mind, but I've rewritten one of your posts so that it has some punctuation - hopefully others might read it and come forward with help:

I have a shed built on the boundary walls that's been up for over 35 years.
We have 3 boundary walls to contend with:

the highway boundary wall [one side]
the rear wall
the other side wall

Both the rear and one side is a boundary to the next door neighbour's garden.
One of the walls is single brick.

I've done some internet searching on how high I could build the roof before I made any alterations [not sure whether you meant 'applications'?] - which I found was anything up to 2.5m.

So I built a shallow apex roof only 9" taller than the old existing sloping roof that sloped away from the road onto next door's land. [is that under 2.5m though?]

The next door neighbour quoted it as a eyesore and didn't like it.

We were then reported to the council after I installed a wood burner inside of the shed 2 months later.

We have had a council visit already discussing the usage of the shed.
Their only complaint was the run-off of water onto the highway and we were advised to get in touch with the planning department to check if we need planning or not.

We now have to spend £86 and supply achitect drawings just to find out if we need planning for the shed.

The advise that I'm needing to find out is:

Where to find info about building on the boundary (other than this forum) so I know the maximum height that I can build [without the need to apply for planning permission?].

I'm also wanting to change the roof and slope it towards our land, but that would mean lifting the rear end height to slope it towards our own land for collection of water as no water must fall on next door's land.[unclear what advice is required...]

The guttering has been up for 30+ years and the new neighbour wants it off his land.[unclear what advice is required]
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:55 pm

gadily wrote:.........but im dealing with a shed built actualy on the boundary wall ..........

In terms of ownership, there is a presumption that you own the wall adjacent to the highway.

Do you know who owns the other walls.

In terms of the 'eyesore' comment - there is some justification for that.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby gadily » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:56 pm

arborlad wrote:
gadily wrote:.........but im dealing with a shed built actualy on the boundary wall ..........

In terms of ownership, there is a presumption that you own the wall adjacent to the highway.

Do you know who owns the other walls.

In terms of the 'eyesore' comment - there is some justification for that.

the next door neighbour owns half the wall as its a shared boundary wall which i believe is the party wall act

in terms of an eyesore unable to see it from the house as 2 greenhouses and a shed has been built infront of the shed the greenhouses have been up for 15 years

as an eyesore im unable to cement render the rear of it or complete the shed build as been advised by the council person to stop building on it.

the illustrated photos are at the point where we was asked to stop building and seek advise

advised also to check if we need planning permission or not for the shed change from the council
gadily

Postby gadily » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:11 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:I've done some internet searching on how high I could build the roof before I made any alterations [not sure whether you meant 'applications'?] - which I found was anything up to 2.5m.

no applications to planning have been made.
only consent asked to neighbour for repairs and advised on our intentions with the roof all seemed fine until it was built, nothing was done in writing.
neighbour has also done the same only asked for consent but nothing has been put in writing.

MacadamB53 wrote:So I built a shallow apex roof only 9" taller than the old existing sloping roof that sloped away from the road onto next door's land. [is that under 2.5m though?]

yes its under 2.5m actual height is 2.2m however due to the fall of the hill have kept one side in keeping with the surrounding buildings roofs

MacadamB53 wrote:I'm also wanting to change the roof and slope it towards our land, but that would mean lifting the rear end height to slope it towards our own land for collection of water as no water must fall on next door's land.[unclear what advice is required...]

The guttering has been up for 30+ years and the new neighbour wants it off his land.[unclear what advice is required][/i]

we have been asked to remove the guttering off the next door neighbours land due to it overhanging the boundary wall, but we cannot allow any water to fall onto the next doors property this would mean that we have to propose a new roof fall from the rear to the front of the building .

thankyou macadam
gadily

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Boundaries