Safe wall height?

Safe wall height?

Postby annie08 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi - I have started a new topic because my question relates to a different wall to the one I previously asked about. Hope this is ok. This jointly owned stone wall runs the length of our driveway and adjoins a farmhouse and the land that is due to be converted to dwellings. Over the years the farm hard standing has increased because of infill but it was previously at the same level as our driveway. The planning application includes for five parking spaces just over the wall. Any residents, visitors, tradesmen etc will essentially have a viewing platform over our entire rear garden and house as ground to wall height is 1m30 on that side and 2m.20 on our side. We will object on the grounds of loss of amenity but think it may also be a health and safety issue as any adventurous children could climb on the wall with the risk of falling onto the concrete driveway on our side. I wondered if there is a safe minimum wall height for a development of this kind. (We are in a conservation area). I have looked on the web and 1m80 seems to be the rule for new housing estates. Thanks
annie08

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Safe wall height?

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi annie,

ground to wall height is 1m30 on that side and 2m.20 on our side

is that how you've read it from their plans?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby annie08 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:02 pm

The farm and yard are unoccupied so we have been round and measured their side as well as ours Mac.
annie08

Postby arborlad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:22 pm

annie08 wrote: Over the years the farm hard standing has increased because of infill but it was previously at the same level as our driveway.. . ...ground to wall height is 1m30 on that side and 2m.20 on our side.

This wall will be doing quite a lot of retaining, which it was never intended to do, has anyone inspected it with that in mind?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:37 pm

Hi annie,

best check those plans then - they might show the land is to be lowered there.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby annie08 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:04 am

Many thanks. It's a very substantial stone wall. Both our house and the farm are shown on the 1895 OS map so I guess the walls were there then. They are at least 14" thick I think. We have a meeting with LPA case officer on Thursday but am pretty sure the levels are staying as they are. I don't think they can be reduced substantially as that would expose TPO'd tree roots. Do you think we have a valid point from a health and safety point of view? Am so hoping you will yes! An option would be I suppose for them to raise the wall from their site to 2m with a robust screening/trellising of some sort evergreen ivy could be grown up over it. I'd be happy with that.
annie08

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:25 am

Hi annie,

I wondered if there is a safe minimum wall height for a development of this kind... ...I have looked on the web and 1m80 seems to be the rule for new housing estates.

they aren't building a wall, though, are they - it's already there.

the risk of someone climbing it from the shorter side and falling onto the lower land already exists.

regardless, the simple solution is to fix a 70cm fence to the top of the wall on their side - job done and everybody is happy.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby annie08 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:39 am

Thanks Mac. I don't think the LPA will agree a wooden fence as it in a conservation area and is what is described as a prestigious development but hopefully they will agree something like a wrought iron one.
annie08

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:12 am

Hi annie,

has the LPA made an "Article 4 Direction" to restrict permitted development rights?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby annie08 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:24 am

Hi Mac - no, our village is not an area which the LPA has made an Article 4 Direction.
annie08

Postby arborlad » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:25 am

annie08 wrote: The planning application includes for five parking spaces just over the wall.

Some bollards to protect the wall would be a sensible inclusion.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:31 am

annie08 wrote:Hi Mac - no, our village is not an area which the LPA has made an Article 4 Direction.

in which case I don't see how the LPA would need to be involved if the neighbour's want to add a 70cm fence of any description to their 130cm wall.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby annie08 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:49 am

Oh. Well they have submitted detailed information about the quality and type of materials they intend to use for the overall development in line with what is in the area already. A wooden fence would look very incongruous. I will ask the case officer tomorrow along with a lot of other questions. Thanks
annie08

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:54 am

Hi annie,

if the LPA tell the neighbour that his application will be refused because the fence is incongruous the simple solution is to revise the proposal to exclude the fence - and then erect the fence anyway as it would have separate planning approval under 'permitted development'.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Collaborate » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:51 am

Any increase in the height of the fence/wall will need planning permission, as it will be above 2m in height. The height of the wall is measured from the natural ground level of the property, which annie08 is your side.

In any event, where the ground level on each side is different, the height is measured from the lower side.

See this explanation:
http://www.fenland.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=5307

Look under p2, "How do I measure the Height"
Collaborate

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Boundaries