New Streetlight / Bamboo

New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby kalstras » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:10 pm

We own a property that has a garden with two sides and a corner "facing the public highway.2 We live in a close and because of new neighbours we bought some http://www.bigplantnursery.co.uk/plants/phyllostachys-bissettii_phyllostachys-bissettii_1077.html... Clump forming 15-18ft tall and a lovely screen effect I might add.
I frequently thin it out and recently went out front of our house to do so trimming as it is beginning to put pressure on our fence.
Recently the council placed new lighting in our close and one was "replaced" across the street from it's previous spot, just outside our fence.
The bamboo keeps it from shining directly into our bedroom window (Thanks council)
Today as I left for work, my wife phoned me and asked why I left bamboo all over the road? Well at this time there was a man from the highways or council or some such organisation, pulling the bamboo from the road and YES HE WAS! Stuffing down my fence BACK Onto my property....
WELL, If you don't like my bamboo, please write me and ask me to trim it, OR Trim it and take it away, BUT DONT TRIM MY PROPERTY AND THROW IT OVER MY FENCE! Bamboo has a special way of trimming, from the lower part of the stalk, NOT THE MID WAY!!

Where Do we stand as tax paying citizens in the UK?
I am going to call the council tomorrow and read them the riot act! and would like a little info under my belt before starting out on this rant

Thanks all
Kal
kalstras
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:51 pm

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.
 

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby cleo5 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:36 pm

If the bamboo (yours) had spread beyond the fence (yours) and onto council property beyond then surely they were within their rights chopping it back so that it did not encroach onto their land.
As for chucking the trimmings back your side then that come under the line of" returning trimmings to owner" but council man should have asked first if you wanted the trimmings back.

I do not think he had the right to cut height from the hedge though. (UNless height interferes with safety of oncoming traffic)

So you could take them up on this point and the question of the trimmings. At same time you could mention the fact that the light is a nuisance and disturbs your sleep. They might move it further along.
ps
That type of bamboo is very invasive and the roots can spread very quickly.
There are less invasive ones available.
NOTE
ON reflection bamboos are not classified as hedges and can be grown to any height
See post Marked Bamboo by moonlight on garden law. Sorry I don't know how to add it on here.
cleo5
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 12:33 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby Roblewis » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:35 pm

Good news is that by the end of summer the height will once again be 18 foot. But do cut out the culms that over lean the highway airspace
Roblewis
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby APC » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:30 am

They can cut anything that overhangs the footpath. You're lucky they didn't send you a bill. You would have loved that.
APC
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby kalstras » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:19 am

Thanks everyone
The bamboo was there first, they actually shoved the lamp into the bamboo when they upgraded our area, oh, and we live in a fairly quite close.
The highways guys well.. they were just "special" today I guess, I will post back after "the phone call" lmao
airquote master
Kal
kalstras
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:51 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby mr sheen » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:04 am

It might be ok to 'read someone the riot act' if you are wholly in the right, although that sort of approach often gets one nowhere!......but if you have grown vegetation that has encroached beyond your boundary, they were the ones with right on their side!
mr sheen
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby kalstras » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:49 pm

mr sheen wrote:It might be ok to 'read someone the riot act' if you are wholly in the right, although that sort of approach often gets one nowhere!......but if you have grown vegetation that has encroached beyond your boundary, they were the ones with right on their side!


Agreed, but in normal circumstances (and yes, in the UK, Councils are above normal logic) a letter is sent to the party of offence (me) and they give you thrity days notice. In this instance there was no judge or jury, just an executioner of my bamboo.
This is why I am complaining, they really have no right to do what they did without notice.

This English custom of "Posting it over the neighbours fence" crap is silly
If you want to cut overhang, than bloody cut it, BUT TAKE AWAY THE CUTTINGS DAMMIT!!

Just saying, sorry for the french ;)

Kal
kalstras
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:51 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby mr sheen » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:18 pm

If you allow your vegetation to encroach beyond your boundary, there is no notice needed to remove it especially if it is causing a nuisance...so your newest rant also illustrates that you have still not understood your position. You were causing a nuisance to the general public and the council remedied the nuisance YOU caused. If you didn't like what they did, don't let the vegetation grow beyond your boundary.

Are you complaining that you were stopped from causing a nuisance to others...did you want to continue causing a nuisance?
mr sheen
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby Clifford Pope » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:46 pm

kalstras wrote:Thanks everyone
The bamboo was there first, they actually shoved the lamp into the bamboo when they upgraded our area,


So asuming that the street lamp is sited on council property not yours, then your bamboo was already overhanging the highway before the lamp was erected?
They have a right to cut overhanging vegetation back to a vertical line from the edge of the highway, including footpath and verge, to a clear height of about 18 feet.
I was served with a notice once to do this, otherwise the council would have done the work and billed me.
Clifford Pope
 
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby appledore » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 pm

Hi! Blackout linings are very effective in a bedroom, and should stop the streetlight shining in.
Keep calm and carry on.
appledore
 
Posts: 2879
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:50 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby Roblewis » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:53 pm

Clifford Pope wrote:
kalstras wrote:Thanks everyone
The bamboo was there first, they actually shoved the lamp into the bamboo when they upgraded our area,


So asuming that the street lamp is sited on council property not yours, then your bamboo was already overhanging the highway before the lamp was erected?
They have a right to cut overhanging vegetation back to a vertical line from the edge of the highway, including footpath and verge, to a clear height of about 18 feet.
I was served with a notice once to do this, otherwise the council would have done the work and billed me.


The good news then is that the Phyll. Bamboo reaches only 5metre in height so they can only prune back to boundary.
Roblewis
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby COGGY » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:02 pm

Sorry but I do not see how this can be good news. Why should council tax payers be footing the bill to cut back bamboo planted by the OP? Another poster says he was served with a notice to cut back himself or the council would do it and bill him. He did not complain but merely cut back himself. Maybe next week we will have the OP back on here complaining that he has been billed by the council. Many types of bamboo spread quickly and are best controlled by planting in a large container. Council tax is high enough already.
COGGY
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby Eliza » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:02 am

kalstras wrote:
mr sheen wrote:It might be ok to 'read someone the riot act' if you are wholly in the right, although that sort of approach often gets one nowhere!......but if you have grown vegetation that has encroached beyond your boundary, they were the ones with right on their side!


Agreed, but in normal circumstances (and yes, in the UK, Councils are above normal logic) a letter is sent to the party of offence (me) and they give you thrity days notice. In this instance there was no judge or jury, just an executioner of my bamboo.
This is why I am complaining, they really have no right to do what they did without notice.

This English custom of "Posting it over the neighbours fence" crap is silly
If you want to cut overhang, than bloody cut it, BUT TAKE AWAY THE CUTTINGS DAMMIT!!

Just saying, sorry for the french ;)

Kal


That sort of comment made to the Council as well in the course of telling the Council off for doing what they are perfectly entitled to do would not go down well either. Maybe the "posting over the fence" doesn't happen outside England (translation = I presume you mean "Britain"). It is likely to result in them just quoting you our British laws and you must abide by them.
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:28 am

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby arborlad » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:29 am

kalstras wrote: Well at this time there was a man from the highways or council or some such organisation,




That's a very poor description of the culprits - are you sure you have them correctly identified?

Works of this nature don't normally go ahead on a whim, there is usually a letter or two with a follow-up visit in person if there is inaction - could it be a neighbour doing some self abatement?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad
 
Posts: 7384
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby arborlad » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:04 pm

Eliza wrote: It is likely to result in them just quoting you our British laws and you must abide by them.



What laws are you referring to?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad
 
Posts: 7384
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.
 
Next

Return to Boundaries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests