New Streetlight / Bamboo

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby Hugh Jaleak » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:51 pm

Normal procedure in such as situation is, for the Council to write to the property(ies) concerned, putting them on notice that either the property(ies) concerned carry out said works by a set date or the Council will have the work carried out by its staff or agents, and then seek to recover the costs from the property owners concerned.

A claassic example was shown in the BBC TV programme "A life of Grime", (if anyone remembers!) The programme featured an ongoing battle between a Polish war Veteran, Mr Edmund Trebus and the London Borough of Haringey where he resided. Mr Trebus had filled his house and garden with rubbish he had collected, the Council served him notice to clear it, he didn't, so the Council did it for him. (Much to Mr Trebus's indignation!) The clean up bill came to around £30000 which I suspect was reclaimed from the sale of the property when Mr Trebus finally agreed to leave and move into sheltered housing for the twilight of his life.
Hugh Jaleak
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:09 am
Location: Northamptonshire

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.
 

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby kalstras » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:18 pm

Too many peeps to quote here but I will try to cover them all.

Post by mr sheen » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:18 pm

If you allow your vegetation to encroach beyond your boundary, there is no notice needed to remove it especially if it is causing a nuisance..


Key words not adhered to "Remove the cuttings"

Post by Eliza » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:02 am

That sort of comment made to the Council as well in the course of telling the Council off for doing what they are perfectly entitled to do would not go down well either. Maybe the "posting over the fence" doesn't happen outside England (translation = I presume you mean "Britain"). It is likely to result in them just quoting you our British laws and you must abide by them.


British Law is ancient and not "enforced in the most part" due to lack of funding

I spoke to many agencies, none of which was able to confirm or deny anything.
The Local Council office > Highways Agency > Street light contracted agency > Borough Council > Street Light Agents, whom are going to look into "who would have done such a random thing."


It's upsetting to be at work and have your family calling you in distress as to why some man is cutting our vegetation from the roadway, throwing, poking or posting the detritus BACK over my fence without ANY warning or notification! I look after my garden VERY well and don't need idiot north eastern workmen (stereotype) messing around where they have no understanding or education... "YOU CAN'T JUST CHOP BAMBOO MID STALK!"

...the saga continues when by Wednesday, the Lighting agents will be calling with results from their investigations.

English Law...pfft


Kal
kalstras
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:51 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby COGGY » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi

You state

It's upsetting to be at work and have your family calling you in distress as to why some man is cutting our vegetation from the roadway, throwing, poking or posting the detritus BACK over my fence without ANY warning or notification! I look after my garden VERY well and don't need idiot north eastern workmen (stereotype) messing around where they have no understanding or education... "YOU CAN'T JUST CHOP BAMBOO MID STALK!"


Is there any reason why your wife or some other member of your family did not go out and speak to the man at the time? It certainly sounds to me that your bamboo was growing on Council property. Your description of the man in question is not exactly reasonable. On what basis are you able to state he has no understanding or education?

Coggy
COGGY
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby kalstras » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:08 pm

Your description of the man in question is not exactly reasonable. On what basis are you able to state he has no understanding or education?


1. Sick Wife/Elderly Father in law = reasons not to confront
2. comment on intelligence etc was due to his HACKING of my bamboo and an educated man might have rung the bell.

Not going to further answer silly questions.
kalstras
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:51 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby Eliza » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:49 pm

kalstras wrote:
Post by Eliza » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:02 am

That sort of comment made to the Council as well in the course of telling the Council off for doing what they are perfectly entitled to do would not go down well either. Maybe the "posting over the fence" doesn't happen outside England (translation = I presume you mean "Britain"). It is likely to result in them just quoting you our British laws and you must abide by them.


British Law is ancient and not "enforced in the most part" due to lack of funding

I spoke to many agencies, none of which was able to confirm or deny anything.
The Local Council office > Highways Agency > Street light contracted agency > Borough Council > Street Light Agents, whom are going to look into "who would have done such a random thing."


It's upsetting to be at work and have your family calling you in distress as to why some man is cutting our vegetation from the roadway, throwing, poking or posting the detritus BACK over my fence without ANY warning or notification! I look after my garden VERY well and don't need idiot north eastern workmen (stereotype) messing around where they have no understanding or education... "YOU CAN'T JUST CHOP BAMBOO MID STALK!"

...the saga continues when by Wednesday, the Lighting agents will be calling with results from their investigations.

English Law...pfft


Kal


Now thinking "I must have misinterpreted him. He seems to be saying that its okay to ignore our laws and just hope that we wont have the funds to enforce them". I must have got that wrong mustn't I? If I am correct - then I am speechless! Our laws are to be obeyed - whether or not we have the funds to enforce them - or is that too difficult for you to understand?

As I see it - the primary function of our laws (and yes...they are "your" laws too since you are living here!) is to set "standards of conduct" we should all abide by - or do you see yourself as being above the law? and, if so, why do you have that view?
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:28 am

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby COGGY » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:55 pm

Hi

I did not at any time suggest that your wife "confront" the man cutting the bamboo. Most people respond to politeness and consideration. I appreciate however that as your bamboo was obviously growing on land not belonging to you then your wife would be at a disadvantage discussing this. Most reasonable people would. You on the other hand appear to believe that you can ride roughshod over other people. Grow your bamboo wherever it pleases you and then complain bitterly when action is taken to remove the bamboo. As to your comments that an educated man would have rung the doorbell, how about the other way round? An educated man should keep his vegetation under control and in his own garden. That is what most people in this country believe to be reasonable.

Are you aware of the saying "When in Rome do as the Romans do"?

Coggy
COGGY
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby kalstras » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:24 pm

Hi Coggy in reply to..
You on the other hand appear to believe that you can ride roughshod over other people. Grow your bamboo wherever it pleases you and then complain bitterly when action is taken to remove the bamboo.


A little story, there was this person across from us with massive conifers shadowing the old light, he was written to by said council and there was a request to reduce the crown and overhang to reduce blockage of lighting.
We only found out about this when he (a man clearly over 75) and his similarly aged wife went out with pruning shears and an unstable ladder to resolve the issue. A year later, professional cowboys (they had a tree surgery van but clearly didn't understand aesthetics or skill in chainsaw handling) as they hacked and chopped enough to resolve the issue not 4 months from the moving of the street light to our side of the road.

I am only asking for the same courtesy.
If you met me, I am not overbearing in attitude and I never push people around. I expect the same.

I just am after the person or persons, responsible for incorrectly trimming my bamboo without consent, OR giving me the opportunity to trim it correctly myself. And YES I understand the adage "A Stitch in time saves nine" but my bamboo has been at its current shall we say "status" for 10 years and we've never had issue before.

I came here for advice, not trolling. Please respect people here and quit finger pointing because my typing isn't full of gesticulations and facial expression like all empty written words today. Please read this like a calm person asking, "Why would someone do this to a law abiding citizen."

Lastly, please just answer my question OR DON'T but picking apart every word and scrutinizing my every sentence isn't helpful. I have obviously touched a nerve with some of you, sorry.

Cheers
Kal
kalstras
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:51 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby kalstras » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:28 pm

Hugh Jaleak wrote:Normal procedure in such as situation is, for the Council to write to the property(ies) concerned, putting them on notice that either the property(ies) concerned carry out said works by a set date or the Council will have the work carried out by its staff or agents, and then seek to recover the costs from the property owners concerned.

A claassic example was shown in the BBC TV programme "A life of Grime", (if anyone remembers!) The programme featured an ongoing battle between a Polish war Veteran, Mr Edmund Trebus and the London Borough of Haringey where he resided. Mr Trebus had filled his house and garden with rubbish he had collected, the Council served him notice to clear it, he didn't, so the Council did it for him. (Much to Mr Trebus's indignation!) The clean up bill came to around £30000 which I suspect was reclaimed from the sale of the property when Mr Trebus finally agreed to leave and move into sheltered housing for the twilight of his life.


YEP YEP

Aww Mr Trebus, he DID end up going back to his fairly clean house only to return to the shelter.

This "Normal Procedure" that didn't occur, is the reason for my postings...
kalstras
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:51 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby arborlad » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:33 pm

Eliza wrote:Now thinking "I must have misinterpreted him. He seems to be saying that its okay to ignore our laws and just hope that we wont have the funds to enforce them". I must have got that wrong mustn't I? If I am correct - then I am speechless! Our laws are to be obeyed - whether or not we have the funds to enforce them - or is that too difficult for you to understand?

As I see it - the primary function of our laws (and yes...they are "your" laws too since you are living here!) is to set "standards of conduct" we should all abide by - or do you see yourself as being above the law? and, if so, why do you have that view?



People in glass houses etc.,: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19956
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad
 
Posts: 7387
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi kalstras,

It's upsetting to be at work and have your family calling you in distress as to why some man is cutting our vegetation from the roadway, throwing, poking or posting the detritus BACK over my fence without ANY warning or notification!

damn right it'd be upsetting.

the man might not have been instructed by the authorities though - otherwise it's out of kilter with the well-trodden convention of first being sent a request to take action (much cheaper option for the LA than sending someone out).

I wonder whether the man was in the locale for some other reason - eg to oversee a "dropped kerb" request - and decided to take the law into his own hands...

the long and the short of it, though, is that, whoever he is, he had a legal right to take reasonable steps to abate the nuisance and this is what he did.

chucking the detritus over the fence is technically a civil wrong, but no damage was caused so you'd be consideted petty in the extreme to pursue it further.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53
 
Posts: 6038
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby arborlad » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:43 pm

kalstras wrote:Recently the council placed new lighting in our close and one was "replaced" across the street from it's previous spot, just outside our fence.


Thanks all
Kal



When the lamp standard was replaced, was it also wired in at the same time?......they're normally two separate operations and there is no requirement for the man to have any specialist knowledge of best horticultural practice relevant to bamboo - he just needs to be competent and certified to carry out the wiring.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad
 
Posts: 7387
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby Eliza » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:02 pm

arborlad wrote:
Eliza wrote:Now thinking "I must have misinterpreted him. He seems to be saying that its okay to ignore our laws and just hope that we wont have the funds to enforce them". I must have got that wrong mustn't I? If I am correct - then I am speechless! Our laws are to be obeyed - whether or not we have the funds to enforce them - or is that too difficult for you to understand?

As I see it - the primary function of our laws (and yes...they are "your" laws too since you are living here!) is to set "standards of conduct" we should all abide by - or do you see yourself as being above the law? and, if so, why do you have that view?



People in glass houses etc.,: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19956



Now that one has got me puzzled. I know you seem to have taken a dislike to me personally for some reason - judging by having taken several jibes at me recently on various threads (though I'm not aware of the reason why you have these personal feelings - just that you obviously do).

But....that thread was about Japanese Knotweed on OTHER peoples properties - not mine (as I don't have it on mine - and would deal with it appropriately if I had).

But I cant be bothered to try and figure that one out....
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:28 am

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby mr sheen » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:32 am

OP- No need to 'remove the cuttings', in fact quite the opposite, removal could be construed as theft so best to 'offer' back which usually amounts to throwing them back....but no police can then be called claiming 'theft'.
mr sheen
 
Posts: 2093
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby arborlad » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:58 am

arborlad wrote:
Eliza wrote: It is likely to result in them just quoting you our British laws and you must abide by them.



What laws are you referring to?



When I posed this question, it was with a very low expectation of a meaningful response!

Although a law to prevent green things spreading beyond the boundary seems to be very high on many peoples wish list - it doesn't exist, the law likes cats, cricket and trees.


For the OP - you have broken no known law, but............if you wished to grow something which you are obviously very knowledgeable and passionate about, it was unwise to plant it where anyone but yourself can reach it and 'prune' it.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad
 
Posts: 7387
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: New Streetlight / Bamboo

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:21 am

arborlad wrote:
arborlad wrote:
Eliza wrote: It is likely to result in them just quoting you our British laws and you must abide by them.



What laws are you referring to?



When I posed this question, it was with a very low expectation of a meaningful response!

Although a law to prevent green things spreading beyond the boundary seems to be very high on many peoples wish list - it doesn't exist, the law likes cats, cricket and trees.


For the OP - you have broken no known law, but............if you wished to grow something which you are obviously very knowledgeable and passionate about, it was unwise to plant it where anyone but yourself can reach it and 'prune' it.

it is an offence to plant or otherwise cause to grow in the wild any of the plants listed in Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
the Weeds Act 1959 makes it is an offence to not remove certain injurious weeds from your land if given notice to do so by the LA.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53
 
Posts: 6038
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 am

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Boundaries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests