stones on wall

stones on wall

Postby cleo5 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:39 pm

My neighbour is throwing bits of shale/ weeds/branches and other debris onto the Cornish stone hedge between us. There is an old hawthorn hedge(bare in winter) atop it.
(my wall as built from my side many years ago and is on my deeds to maintain it)
His land is 5ft higher than mine and the shale/rubbish is loose is falling over onto my garden(small children walk here).
What to do about it please.
Ignore it?
Letter?
Solicitor's letter?
Relations between us are non existent due to various issues.
cleo5

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: stones on wall

Postby Collaborate » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:45 pm

Responsibility to maintain is not necessarily the same as ownership, but for the purpose of my response I'll assume that you do own the wall, and consequently the hedge on top of it.

I still think you'd need to speak to them first. Point out the hedge and wall are yours, so can they please stop putting anything on it, and remove what they have deposited there.

After that, it can escalate as far as you're willing to go.
Collaborate

Postby cleo5 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:01 pm

Thanks Collaberate,
Afraid he does what he likes.
Words fall on deaf ears.
cleo5

Postby despair » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:28 pm

If his actions could cause injury especially to children maybe the local police officer should speak to him
despair

Postby cleo5 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:23 pm

Thank you,
Yes good idea.
Whoever mows the grass has to pick up all the fallen bits of slate, stone, glass, twigs etc from where they are tumbling down so not only is it a danger but also a nuisance.
cleo5

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi cleo,

how big a danger does this really pose? have there been any actual incidents?

you're possibly being hyper-sensitive.

that's not say I think it should be tolerated...

Warm regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby cleo5 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:16 am

HI Mac,
Yes I'm sure you're right. It's just an added aggravation of many that he causes.
My room is a few feet away and the window looks out at it.

Yes! I do think there is some danger. Some of the chunks of rock that come over are enough to really hurt a toddler. And the stuff is piling up.
I have threatened him with the police before. It's just water off a duck's back.
cleo5

Postby Collaborate » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:33 am

Can you not just push it back over his side?
Collaborate

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:01 am

Hi cleo,

how about adding a couple of courses of bricks atop the wall on your side (or something similar)?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby cleo5 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:02 pm

Not brick Mac,
Its a very old Cornish hedge made with granite and slate earth packed with old hawthorn hedge on top.
Neighbour ran a waste water pipe into it some years back which caused constant dampness and some loosening. After some aggro he removed pipe.

He has always thrown weeds/ rubbish into the hedge.

All the bits of stone and shale coming over is within the last year.
I did throw it back over. but physically unable now.

And no we are unable to have the wall patched or part rebuilt as cost prohibitive.
Yes it bothers me unduly. Another person would just tolerate it.
That is why I thought maybe a letter was best way of alerting him to the fact that I know what he is doing and I want it stopped.
cleo5

Postby mugwump » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:18 pm

So I assume that the stone and slate that he is throwing back are actually bits of your wall that has fallen off?
mugwump

Postby cleo5 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi mugwump,
No they are bits that have come from his garden. They include slate, stones, glass, wire. plastic etc.

His land is level with top of my wall . My land is 5ft or so lower.

The wall cannot take anything on top of it as it is already falling in places. I have patched it where I can.
I will just tell the children not to walk near the wall.

As to any danger. A piece of rock landed just ahead of me the last time I walked past.
cleo5

Postby despair » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:30 pm

Either call the Police Community support officer in and show him whats going on because its littering and deliberate harassment and they may just set up CCTV

or set up CCTV yourself using a DIY kit .............once your neighbour realises his actions are being recorded on CCTV in my experience he will stop
despair

Postby COGGY » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi

Despair said

once your neighbour realises his actions are being recorded on CCTV in my experience he will stop

I agree. It certainly worked for us. Coggy
COGGY

Postby cleo5 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:04 am

Thanks despair,
I do not think we have such a support officer?
Nearest police station 15 miles away anyway and compared to years of harassment from this neighbour this latest annoyance might seem petty.
I'm just a worrier anyway especially where children are concerned.

Coggy,
Thanks but CCtV is at front of house where I now have a fence. Nothing further happened there to date.

This is at side of house.

Just spoken to son in law and he will clear the pile of rubble and warn the neighbour that what he is doing is dangerous.
cleo5

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Boundaries