Neighbour Has Replaced My Fence

Neighbour Has Replaced My Fence

Postby lougibson » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:27 am

My neighbour recently replaced a boundary fence for which I am responsible without any prior consultation. I wouldn't have objected necessarily but the workmanship is very poor and I doubt the new fence will withstand any severe weather conditions. I have spoken to my neighbour and received assurance that the work is of a temporary nature and will be rectified. I have recently learnt via the grapevine that my neighbour is moving; in the event he moves and the situation remains unresolved, what responsibility do I have to my new neighbours as regards 'his' fence?

Thanks,
Lou
lougibson

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour Has Replaced My Fence

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:40 am

Hi Lou,

can you clarify something - has he replaced your fence for you or has he removed your fence and erected one of his own?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Collaborate » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:05 am

Is the condition of the new fence worse than the one he removed?

If not, you're in no worse position than you were before.
Collaborate

Postby lougibson » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:47 pm

Hi Mac, my fence was removed and one of his choice erected instead. I was not consulted prior to his doing this.
Thanks
lougibson

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:21 pm

Hi Lou,

that doesn't quite answer my question, so I'll frame it another way...

does the new fence stand where the old one stood? or is it set a smidge back so that its now on his land rather than yours? or have you no idea either way?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby lougibson » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:41 am

Hi Mac,

The new fence is located in precisely the same position and is the same height as the original. My fence was originally closeboard but the replacement is panels.

Thanks,
Lou
lougibson

Postby Collaborate » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:45 am

You still haven't answered my question. Will the new fence last longer than the old would have lasted?
Collaborate

Postby despair » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:58 am

unless the closeboard fence was in a bad state theres no way a panel fence will outlast it
despair

Postby Collaborate » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:47 pm

All the closeboard fences I've had to get replaced have been at a 45° angle and held together by ivy.

Much prefer them though to the concrete and panel fences.
Collaborate

Postby despair » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:32 pm

I have seen plenty of panel fences at 45 degree angles too
despair

Postby Collaborate » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:57 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the closeboard fences sturdier anyway? Having 2 or 3 horizontal rails top and bottom gives it far more rigidity than a panel fence, it seems to me.
Collaborate

Postby Eliza » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:40 am

The only definite thing we've established to date basically is that the fence is still the same location.

It does look rather as if the fact OP hasnt said his fence was in the same (or better) condition as the neighbours' fence means it was in even worse condition than the neighbours new fence.

So - if that is the case - then it would be as well for OP to do the fence-swopping that would have been necessary anyway (based on that assumption of the original fence being even worse). The least hassle way of doing it would be in between neighbours and restore status quo of his fence being his fence and a fence that needed replacing (one way or another) has safely been done.
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza

Postby lougibson » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:54 am

The original fence was perfectly sound. The new fence is a complete bodge and is in part propped up by another fence on my property. Thanks
lougibson

Postby despair » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:09 am

Get quotes to replace the fence back to what it was

present the quotes to the neighbour

tell them to pay up or you will create a massive neighbour dispute and thus stop the sale of their house and devalue it in the process

if another of your fences is holding it up ...........remove the bit that's holding it up and let the bodge job fall down
despair

Postby mugwump » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:50 am

despair wrote:tell them to pay up or you will create a massive neighbour dispute and thus stop the sale of their house and devalue it in the process

All the while remembering that swords have two edges and both cut equally as well
mugwump

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Boundaries