Badly drawn boundaries

Badly drawn boundaries

Postby Dylis » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:59 am

A topic which I presume has been covered ad infinitum on the forum but..........

When we were buying our place we were surprised to find how innacurate, poorly proportioned and just plain random the suporting sketch-plans that came with deeds were. As there had been a variety of documents...... creating rights and enlarging the garden...... conveyancers had copied earlier innacuracies and compounded them. We had to get our solicitor to update the land reg doc to correct an error in one of these sketch-plans that had 5 sq m of our building footprint owned by next door.

Anyway, considering these land reg docs appear to be easily altered unilaterally, I'm wondering if another alteration might be possible: even without the expense of a solicitor.

The original 40 odd year old architects plans which were used for the planning application to create 2 dwellings from an agricultural barn show a straight boundary line across the shared back yard with our inspection chamber/man-hole clearly in our part of the yard. These plans were later used to create the deed of partition. Because the builders were unable to site this man-hole exactly as per plans, they sited it on the proposed boundary line instead. No-one checked this when the first deed was created and it has stayed that way for over 40 years. The original owners did however realize the anomaly and laid some boundary marker stones to one side of the man-hole, effectively bringing it onto our property by creating a slight dog-leg in the boundary-line. A movement of approx a half sg m of land surface.

Considering we don't have great relationships with our next-door neighbours who seem hell-bent on ignoring our rights, I'd like to register this dog-leg with land reg and thereby remove a potential problem.

Some thought, comments and advice would be most welcome.
Dylis

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Badly drawn boundaries

Postby Dylis » Tue May 03, 2016 10:18 am

Can anyone help please :D
Dylis

Re: Badly drawn boundaries

Postby Collaborate » Tue May 03, 2016 11:11 am

It doesn't sound to me as if you are right here.

Shared back garden, with presumably mutual rights over each other's land. Next door mark the boundary position with markers, that do not interfere with you exercising your rights over their land. they cannot place the marker on the manhole cover, so skirt around the edge of it.

Why would you want to do anything about it? What purpose would it serve, apart from antagonising your neighbour?
Collaborate

Return to Boundaries