Party Wall agreement/change of use

Party Wall agreement/change of use

Postby lisagirly » Mon May 16, 2016 9:16 pm

When our neighbours moved in last year, we were asked to sign a party wall agreement for a garage extension. Our garage is right next to theirs and running off the back of our garage is a wall (behind the garage is a private little patio area). Many of the houses in our street have extended their garages, so we had no issue and signed it. We presumed a garage extension would be for storing their vehicles or storage as most people do. However, what they have done is extend their garage right to the very end of the wall (neighbour told me they were only extending by around 10ft but unfortunately it doesn't state that in the paperwork) and put in full height patio doors. Furthermore, they have turned into a dog grooming parlour! I feel our space has been very encroached on, we haven't been able to sit on our patio as their doors are always wide open and I have the constant sound of the dryers and dogs. We only bought our house 6 months before them and moved from a terrace and now it feels like we are back in a terrace again with no privacy and hearing every noise.
Where do we stand? If the neighbours are now running a business from home, surely we would have been consulted? and isn't the party wall agreement for residential use or does the use not come into it?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
lisagirly

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Party Wall agreement/change of use

Postby Collaborate » Mon May 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Check the result of your local authority search when you bought, together with pre contract enquiries. Any grant of PP should have been mentioned somewhere.

Also check with the LA (should be able to do this on-line) whether they have PP.
Collaborate

Postby lisagirly » Mon May 16, 2016 9:48 pm

they moved in just after us so it would not have appeared on any searches? You say to check with the local authority if planning permission was given - but are you saying that planning permission would be required to have a business from their home?
lisagirly

Postby Collaborate » Mon May 16, 2016 9:55 pm

Yes - a change of use. I'm assuming the area is entirely residential.
Collaborate

Postby Eliza » Tue May 17, 2016 8:33 am

Have you got any good/knowledgeable local Councillors? Perhaps you could have an informal chat with one and check their views on this change of use.
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza

Postby arborlad » Tue May 17, 2016 8:45 am

lisagirly wrote:they moved in just after us so it would not have appeared on any searches? You say to check with the local authority if planning permission was given - but are you saying that planning permission would be required to have a business from their home?

If you enter neighbours postcode followed by planning permission into Google, you should get some results.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Return to Boundaries