Garden Boundary/Wall Question

Garden Boundary/Wall Question

Postby bheart » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:34 pm

First of all, my question is about the boundary wall of our semi-detached house so I'm not sure if I should be posting in the 'boundary' or 'wall' forums or, both?

Ok, I have only just registered with the Garden Law Forums because I have question regarding the boundary wall (brick) at our semi-detached home and, after searching the internet for answers, I have yet to find one that resolves my issue so, hopefully the members of these forums can help me out?

As I said, we own a semi detached house which has a brick wall running down the middle.

When viewed from the front of the house and towards the rear, our house is on the left and has a continuous brick garden wall running down the middle of the two houses, from the back of our house and right down to the rear garden wall which is around 70 feet away.

The wall also has two (2) brick piers on our side and, shown on our house plans that came with the deeds, there are two (2) "T" markings on our side of the wall and they are turned on their sides with the top of the T's facing into are our garden.

Because of the above facts, I've always believed that the wall is ours and, still do, we have maintained it for the last 45 years but, my main query concerns the first 10 feet or so, that part of the wall where it meets the rear wall of our house but, over the last 10 years since our most recent next door neighbour moved in, at some point over that time and, unknown to me, he has painted the rear pebble-dashed wall of his house and his paint line runs down 'the middle of the rear elevation' and finishes half way across the last brick of 'our boundary wall' - we are only talking about 2 inches or so but I will need to use the whole width of the top of the boundary wall bricks

Note: Over the last week or so, I have demolished a small conservatory (to build another) which used all of our boundary wall with the roofing sheets being fitted on top of the wall and the lead flashing is chased into the back brickwork from one end and right across to our boundary wall and down the neighbours side of our boundary wall - he has ignored this and still painted across half of the last brick of the boundary wall which contacts the rear wall of our house. Over the next two or three days, I will be repainting the pebble dash at the back of our house and fully intend to reclaim my boundary by starting my vertical boundary line - just as it had always been for the last 35 years - from the neighbours side of our boundary wall.

Both houses have a horizontal brick band half way down from the gutter and it runs right around both houses and, whilst working up in the corner where our boundary wall meets the brick band, the end of the last brick of the brick band on our side, finishes flush with it's end at the neighbours side of our boundary wall.

But, after that, the next brick in the brick band is turned 45 degrees and runs headlong into the house wall with it's end showing and is recessed into the house wall and finishes about one and a half inches deeper than the level of the brick band. After that, the horizontal brick band continues along our neighbours rear house wall.
We have lived in his house since 1975 and have never noticed this before because, up until the last week or so, it was always concealed - What does this 'marker' mean?

I've read online about 'determined/fixed markers' being placed at certain places during the building of houses and, I feel sure that this recessed head long brick in the brick band is a 'fixed brick marker' which denotes the central point between houses and it's clear that our boundary wall is clearly on our side of that recessed brick.

Can anyone please explain further and clarify what this recessed brick means?
bheart

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Garden Boundary/Wall Question

Postby MacadamB53 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:37 am

Hi bheart,

Can anyone please explain further and clarify what this recessed brick means?

No, short and sweet.

It may have been intended as a boundary marker but you've no evidence to support that.

that said, it doesn't really matter why you have a recessed brick in your rear wall because all the evidence available strongly supports your claim that the garden wall stands wholly on your land.

Get painting while the weather is fine!

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby span » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:56 pm

One thing missing from your post is what conversations about this you've had with the neighbour. What's his thinking on this?
span

Postby arborlad » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:00 am

bheart wrote:Both houses have a horizontal brick band half way down from the gutter and it runs right around both houses and, whilst working up in the corner where our boundary wall meets the brick band, the end of the last brick of the brick band on our side, finishes flush with it's end at the neighbours side of our boundary wall.

But, after that, the next brick in the brick band is turned 45 degrees and runs headlong into the house wall with it's end showing and is recessed into the house wall and finishes about one and a half inches deeper than the level of the brick band.
[/i][/b]Can anyone please explain further and clarify what this recessed brick means?

Are you sure you don't mean 90 degrees?.............a photo would help.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby bheart » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:02 am

Hi arborlad

Sorry, wasn't thinking; you're correct, it should be 90 degrees so that the first end of the brick is facing outwards towards the garden.

As I mentioned in my first post, the recessed brick in the brick band must be a marker between the houses, otherwise there would be no reason to turn one brick in the brick band 90 degrees and then recess it back into the brick band by around one inch and then continue the bricks in the brick band normally onto the neighbours property.

I would love to upload a photo but I've only just registered and I don't think we are allowed to upload attachments yet?

I could draw a pretty good pic of what it looks like!
bheart

Postby arborlad » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:14 am

bheart wrote:Hi arborlad

Sorry, wasn't thinking; you're correct, it should be 90 degrees so that the first end of the brick is facing outwards towards the garden.

As I mentioned in my first post, the recessed brick in the brick band must be a marker between the houses, otherwise there would be no reason to turn one brick in the brick band 90 degrees and then recess it back into the brick band by around one inch and then continue the bricks in the brick band normally onto the neighbours property.

I would love to upload a photo but I've only just registered and I don't think we are allowed to upload attachments yet?

I could draw a pretty good pic of what it looks like!

You need three posts before you have permission to upload images, so one more and you're good to go.

Turning a brick to act as a marker is feasible although I've never seen it, recessing it makes no sense, is it pointed up to match the surrounding brickwork?.............currently I'm thinking there was a duct/vent/pipework intended to be there but somebody changed their mind and didn't do a very good job of making good. Any other properties in the area you can compare it to, what's it like at the front?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby bheart » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi arborlad

Thanks for you response.

Yes, I know, the recessed brick is weird and I've never seen or heard of it before but, it does make sense to use this type of action as a marker between houses.

No, the front of the house does not have any such 'marker' at the same point.

With regard to any other nearby houses have some similar, I'm not in a position to check that out.

I will be continuing with work on the back of the house tomorrow and, after I seal the pebbledash prior to painting it, I will try and get a better look at the area we've been discussing and, if I can, will try and see if the recessed brick is actually pointed and if possible, take a decent photo to upload, when I can.

Kind Regards
bheart

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Boundaries