Ransom strip value - Gardening land

Re: Ransom strip value - Gardening land

Postby nasop » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:55 pm

span wrote:4k for a strip of land that is effectively worthless now? You must be minted. Let's talk about several very lucrative investment opportunities I could put your way in Zimbabwe and North Korea.

If he doesn't care, and all you're worried about are the trees, then hire some of those itinerant gardenets of Celtic extraction to make a out of hours visit with chainsaws. Cost you a lot less than 4k.

It's worthless as a ransom strip but it would allow us access to the rear of our property for parking so while it's not got the cash value for development it does have some value as we only have on road parking.
nasop

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby nasop » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:01 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi nasop,

you want to increase your back garden by 5m2 at a cost of £4K? insane!

as has been mentioned, that strip will change hands for whatever the current owner and a prospective buyer deem reasonable.

question: which property benefits from the restrictive covenant against your recently purchased plot? and the other two plots?

Kind regards, Mac

Hi Mac,

It's not really about increasing the size of the garden. As above it's mainly about opening up our garden so we can park on the back. The guy knows this which is why there is some value to the land. However he knows we've come to terms with onroad parking and if we don't agree on a price he's lost his one and only chance to make some money. He attained the land for free so anything I offer is a bonus.

The large plot prior to being sold had no restrictive covenants, however the seller put them in place on the two she sold. Ours and our neighbours who bought the other plot.
nasop

Postby nasop » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:03 pm

Clifford Pope wrote:Have I got this right - the plot of land you have bought is on the other side of the service road?
So if you bought the strip it would give you access to the road, and then access across the road to your land?

You might have difficulty establishing that this extra land thereby became part of your garden. A garden can be divided by a road, but that situation is quite rare.

It goes.. our house and garden / plot we bought / ransom strip / service road.

When we moved in we didn't have any idea the land would be available but the old lady who sold it us just let it get overgrown so when I approached her on the off chance she agreed and the deal was done.
nasop

Postby jonahinoz » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi,

I would not buy a house that did not have off-street parking. Others would, but competition is reduced, so will the value. Ask a local estate agent what difference it would make.

OK, in the event we did buy a house with no parking, took a chance. Managed to get permission for a dropped kerb fairly quickly which enabled us to lift a covenant preventing parking in the front garden. Then managed (with Pilman's help) to lift a "pedestrian only" restriction on the back lane. So, I can park four cars, plus one in the new garage. This in an area where street parking is stretched almost to the limit. A neighbour paid £5,000 to the LA for the right to access his building plot by car, from the back lane.

Your tree covered plot may not be able to be built on. Could you build in your garden ... if you had access across this plot?

John W
jonahinoz

Postby Clifford Pope » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:35 am

nasop wrote:
It goes.. our house and garden / plot we bought / ransom strip / service road.

Then I would snap it up almost at any price. Having vehicle access to your own garden has immense potential value - somewhere to park, build a garage, future development?
Clifford Pope

Postby nasop » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:54 pm

Update.

I made an offer and he accepted. Will instruct solicitors to start the ball rolling on Monday so hopefully it should be a smooth transaction.

Once it's all done and dusted I'll post up some pictures so anyone who's interested can see what all the fuss was about..
nasop

Postby COGGY » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:43 pm

Good news. Well done Coggy
COGGY

Postby jonahinoz » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:54 pm

Having vehicle access to your own garden has immense potential value - somewhere to park, build a garage, future development?

Hi,

There is a row of garages further down our lane, owned by the LA. They are not very big, maybe 8ft x 18ft. They may ONLY be used to park a private car ... not for storage ... not for business. Rent is about £12 per week, and there is a waiting list.

jonahinoz

Postby mr sheen » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Who made Arborlad the judge of valuable/relevant/useful/interesting posts?????

This is an open forum for people to add whatever comment they like and frankly Arborlad's persistent attempts to take it over and control it is far more annoying than an email alert that 'someone has passed a comment on a forum'.
mr sheen

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Boundaries