Ivy Problems

Ivy Problems

Postby baloo77 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:05 pm

Hello

This is my first post so I hope it's in the right place. I'll try to keep it as short as possible

I've recently moved into a property where the previous owner planted ivy around some fence which grew over onto the neighbours’ garden which is rented.

We've already disposed of around 6ft of ivy as it's been severely neglected and of course the weight of the ivy has crushed the fence panels and moved the concrete posts.

We’ve spoken to the landlord and we’ve agreed to replace the panels and concrete posts and we would cover the costs. Now as the posts weren’t level there has to be a bit of give and take with the boundary to level it out. So for arguments sake they gained a few inches of land.

My neighbour is now kicking off at the landlord saying he wants the ivy removing as it’s our previous owner that planted it. Although we’ve removed all the ivy and created another boundary he’s not happy that the ivy stumps are in his garden and he wants the roots removing.

This is where I need your assistance please. I know the previous owner planted the ivy but if those stumps were in his property when I purchased my property surely it’s not my problem. I’ve removed what was on my side but I cannot be held responsible for the damage the previous owner did to their land ..... or can I?

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Regards

Bally
baloo77

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Ivy Problems

Postby despair » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:33 pm

if i was going to all the trouble of replacing a fence wrecked by ivy i would have also dug out all the roots and stumps because otherwise
before you know it it will be back rampant again

it would be nice if the landlord or the tenant pitched in and helped given they gave gained land
despair

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:37 pm

despair wrote:if i was going to all the trouble of replacing a fence wrecked by ivy i would have also dug out all the roots and stumps because otherwise
before you know it it will be back rampant again

it would be nice if the landlord or the tenant pitched in and helped given they gave gained land
+1
why on earth were the ivy stumps left?!?!?
MacadamB53

Postby baloo77 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:51 pm

I suppose they should've been removed but at the time we just thought it's not our responsibility and as the tenants ex wife was starting to get aggressive regarding the live ivy which according to her is our responsibility. We wanted the barrier up asap. Plus we have dogs and they have kids.

We had to go to the council to get 4 70ft conifers (planted together) chopped as the landlord wouldn't take responsibility for it. He kept saying he had no money so we helped the tree surgeon by labouring for free for two days. The tenant wouldn't even give the tree surgeon access through his side door so we had to remove the fence and the work was done through our garden. The tenant then moans about rubbish (twigs) left in his garden. I'm all about being reasonable but this is just taking the P

So back to the original question who is responsible?
baloo77

Postby despair » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:27 pm

In which case i would tell the landlord and the tenant they are taking the piss and to get on with it

i do not for one minute believe any landlord who is receiving rent is hard up they are coining it in
despair

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:55 am

Hi baloo77,

who is responsible?

the owner.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby zaax » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:25 am

Put brushwood killer on the stumps it wont come back. Also ivy can be killed by putting a crushed leaf in a jar (paper cup) of brushwood killer - best to do this time of year when the sap is being drawn back.
I know nothing about the law.
zaax

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Boundaries