Neighbours garden

Re: Neighbours garden

Postby COGGY » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:06 pm

You say the neighbour has told your wife he does not have Insurance. That is pretty meaningless imo. There are sadly people today who think they can lie and come out on top. Has the neighbour told your Insurance Company that he does not have insurance? Your Company can soon run a check to find out the truth in the matter. Have you discussed this with your them? They should be in a position to tell you what the situation is and what they can do to sort it out. The neighbour obviously has money if he is having builders to do work for him. My advice would be to talk urgently to your Insurance Company and find out what is likely to happen. Good luck Coggy
COGGY

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:25 pm

mugwump wrote:
MacadamB53 wrote:
k.skinner2 wrote:How can you find out from the deeds if the property is insured? Obviously the insurance company will know instantly if their property is insured? Would I as just a member of public be able to find out if the property is insured? Can the deeds be looked at publicly..so many questions and thankyou for your advise. Im awaiting to see how far my insurers are with the dispute, I assume I won't be able to do more than my insurance, if they don't think they want or cant get their and my money back and give in, would it be wise to sue for damages? thanks again karl
you've misunderstood - it is whether a mortgage has been registered that you can see on a property's title register at HMLR (and if one has then the lender will have insisted on insurance).

The bad news Mac is that the mortgage lender normally never chases it up after giving out the mortgage. Apart from asking on the initial granting of the mortgage, none of the lenders that I have had have never again checked on it.
I have worked for a major mortgage lender and my experience differs from yours
MacadamB53

Postby Collaborate » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:54 am

In the past, IME, lenders would insist on life policies being assigned to them, but no longer. It's just a mortgage term now.

Same for buildings insurance. We've changed insurance companies many times in recent years, and never had any contact from the lender.
Collaborate

Postby COGGY » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:40 am

Is it possible that the Mortgage Company put a "notice" on to the original Insurance Company so that if such insurance is ended they can see when a new insurance is taken out? I would think that the Mortgage Company would need to know their investment was protected and rather than contact the house owner they would have a system set up with the Insurance Companies. Once established that would be easier, quicker and cheaper than contacting the house owner. Just a thought. Coggy
COGGY

Postby mugwump » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:08 pm

Nice idea. I would then expect a letter from my mortgage lender every few years as I change my insurance company to get best VFM.

It doesn't happen. I doubt that an insurance company would have the right under the DPA to divulge that information to a third party.
mugwump

Postby despair » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:49 pm

The OP needs to urgently contact whoever is handling this at their insurance co
appraisecthem of what the wife has said and request an update plus remind them they have a duty of care to place liens etc on the miscreants properties in order to protect theirs and the Ops interests
despair

Postby COGGY » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:56 am

You are probably correct Mugwump. I thought it may be like having an MOT for a car. My car refused to start recently, (the battery went suddenly) when the RAC man arrived he informed me that my MOT was out of date. No one had notified me but the RAC were aware. He still fixed the car and I sorted the MOT. In the case of a mortgage if, as in your case, you changed Insurers, there would be no problem,no need to contact you. If you had simply allowed the insurance to lapse then with my brilliant idea :roll: the Mortgagor would contact you. Maybe I could patent it? :roll: Regards Coggy
COGGY

Postby Collaborate » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:15 pm

COGGY wrote:You are probably correct Mugwump. I thought it may be like having an MOT for a car. My car refused to start recently, (the battery went suddenly) when the RAC man arrived he informed me that my MOT was out of date. No one had notified me but the RAC were aware. He still fixed the car and I sorted the MOT. In the case of a mortgage if, as in your case, you changed Insurers, there would be no problem,no need to contact you. If you had simply allowed the insurance to lapse then with my brilliant idea :roll: the Mortgagor would contact you. Maybe I could patent it? :roll: Regards Coggy

You can do a simple search online to check when your Mot expires.
https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status

Sorry - off topic.
Collaborate

Postby jonahinoz » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:21 pm

If the owners have 3 properties there should be some collateral there somewhere that the insurance co can put a lien on or force the sale of to recover what they and you are owed

Hi,

If they don't have any money, then bankruptcy may be the end result. Take a note of the registration of their cars, photo as well, if you can do it sneaky.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:16 am

Hi,

The Land Register will show if there is a mortgage, second mortgage, or any other debt secured on a property. It will also say who the lender is. It will not say how much is owing.

Will the lender be interested in a potential CCJ against somebody who owes them money? Would a CCJ prevent the borrower being able to borrow more?

With motor insurance, you must declare who your insurer is to anybody who has a reason to know. Not building insurance ???

A business must display their insurance details where the public can see them. Does not being a landlord count as a business ???

I'm guessing that the answer to both is "NO".

In France, all property must be covered against 3rd Party claims. The common cover is FLEA (Fire, Lightening, Explosion and Accident) Strange that it is an English acronym. We found it to be remarkably inexpensive.

Making a small claim is not expensive, and I believe there are no costs payable to the other party if you lose. Have you watched the TV program about The Sheriffs ... BBC1 in the mornings after "Homes under the Hammer". Their services cost a bit more, but I assume the Sheriffs claim that back for you too ... and it saves all that rolling around in the gutter.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:29 am

Hi.

I "done a Google". Some sites say there is no need for a landlord to have insurance, but this one ... http://www.informedlandlords.com/legal- ... landlords/ ...
includes insurance in their list of basic legal requirements ... but do not use the word "must have" in the insurance section.

Phone an insurance broker and ask.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby despair » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:45 pm

i would be a very worried tenant if my landlord did not have insurance
despair

Postby k.skinner2 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:16 am

Just an update, I as a landlord have insurance, including this years renewal which has cost me a further £200 ironically all the insurance companies wouldn't touch me except my original insurer? I wonder if they hadn't or some firm had said a ridiculous number whether I would have taken insurance? The solicitors of my insurance companies are in a legal tango where apparently both insurance companies do a dance hoping to get the most or least (depending on which side your on) Also it wasn't common knowledge, my insurance company didn't know whether next door had any insurance or not, it was only through leaning on them with the options they had open to them. Now I'm guessing my insurance company will make sure they get 100% of their own money back, but I'm not so sure they will be as enthusiastic on retrieving my funds. I'm guessing they will retrieve some of my money and i'll be left with a stick or twist situation, one which my insurance company I doubt will take further once they have retrieved their money. Well we'll just wait the pair of ridiculously well paid lawyers to run their bills up, get their money and run...or is this just me being cynical? regards
k.skinner2

Postby despair » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:45 am

if you are left put of pocket by all this inc an increased insurance premium you are entitled to sue the neighbour seoarately
difficulty is knowing it will get paid
but technically your insurance company is supposed to work for you
did you buy insurance direct or through a broker or agent
because its their job to fight for you too
despair

Postby Collaborate » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:19 am

despair wrote:if you are left put of pocket by all this inc an increased insurance premium you are entitled to sue the neighbour seoarately

Never seen that happen before.
Collaborate

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Boundaries