Outbuilding by my border

Outbuilding by my border

Postby Sky53 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:57 am

This is my first post and I hope I’ve put it in the right place. My next door neighbour has built a breeze block building across the whole of the bottom end of his garden. It is right up to the hedge or fence of each of the three surrounding properties. The planning portal says that if a building is within two metres of the boundary, it can’t be higher than 2.5 metres (8 foot 2 inches) The building measures over 12 foot on the outside and approximately 8 foot inside. The remaining 3 – 4 foot is a concrete base. Do you think this building is compliant with garden law? Do you have any experience of such a building?
Sky53

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Outbuilding by my border

Postby Collaborate » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:53 am

...well, that depends on how tall it is.
Collaborate

Postby Sky53 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:09 pm

If measured from the ground to the apex on the outside it is over 12 foot tall. If measured from inside the building it is 8 foot high. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
Sky53

Postby despair » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:32 pm

your best bet is to formally request planning enforcement look at the situation
it does not sound correct from the info provided
despair

Postby arborlad » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:13 pm

Sky53 wrote:This is my first post and I hope I’ve put it in the right place. My next door neighbour has built a breeze block building across the whole of the bottom end of his garden. It is right up to the hedge or fence of each of the three surrounding properties. The planning portal says that if a building is within two metres of the boundary, it can’t be higher than 2.5 metres (8 foot 2 inches) The building measures over 12 foot on the outside and approximately 8 foot inside. The remaining 3 – 4 foot is a concrete base. Do you think this building is compliant with garden law? Do you have any experience of such a building?

This guide could be useful: https://interactive.planningportal.co.u ... uildings/7
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Sky53 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:14 pm

Thank you for your help and comments. I will contact the planning office.
Sky53

Postby Eliza » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:35 pm

AGreed - that's the best idea to contact planning office.

I would be mentioning it's made of breezeblock too in the course of the conversation - so that they are also aware it's an ugly eyesore.
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza

Postby Collaborate » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:19 pm

Eliza wrote:I would be mentioning it's made of breezeblock too in the course of the conversation - so that they are also aware it's an ugly eyesore.

The planners would be wholly wrong to take this into account.
Collaborate

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:12 am

Hi Sky53,

My next door neighbour has built a breeze block building across the whole of the bottom end of his garden.

when? planning only have four years to enforce against a breach of this kind (if indeed a breach has occurred at all).

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby Sky53 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:23 am

Again, many thanks. I have also sent two photos to show the extent of the outbuilding plus one of the boundary and my shed this side.

Sorry but, what is OP?
Sky53

Postby Sky53 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:27 am

They started building this at the beginning of the year or the back end of last year. They said (last weekend when I visited with my son who is a solicitor - criminal, not civil) that it'd be finished in two weeks' time.
Sky53

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:06 am

Sky53 wrote:Again, many thanks. I have also sent two photos to show the extent of the outbuilding plus one of the boundary and my shed this side.

Sorry but, what is OP?
Original Post (the opening of the thread) or Original Poster (i.e. you on this thread)
MacadamB53

Postby Sky53 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:49 pm

Good news. The planning officer is going to write to the owners and ask them to reduce the height of their outbuilding to make it compliant with regulations. Then he is going to make a site visit. I'd prefer the breeze block building to be removed but I'm actually okay with a reduction as I'm all for compromise. However, if significant detrimental harm is caused to the amenity when the building is completed, then they might have to take it down. Significant detrimental harm sounds very subjective. I wonder if that depends on the planning officer or the immediate neighbours. Any ideas?
Sky53

Postby despair » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:25 pm

i would have expected the planning enforcement officer to visit first and then write letters
despair

Postby arborlad » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:38 am

despair wrote:i would have expected the planning enforcement officer to visit first and then write letters

As a letter is going to be cheaper than a site visit, if it achieves the desired result, this has to be a better use of that officers time and resources.

Eliza wrote:I would be mentioning it's made of breezeblock too in the course of the conversation - so that they are also aware it's an ugly eyesore.

How do you know that?............nobody has mentioned it.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Boundaries