Garden shed boundary

Garden shed boundary

Postby sreed » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:38 pm

Hello. I wonder if anyone has a view or could advise on the following.
We live in a mid terrace property in SE London. There is an access/service road at the back of all the terraced properties (which is padlocked and all residents share the combination to open the lock if/when required) which leads to garages at the back of each property. To my knowledge nobody uses the access/service road for parking as there is ample street parking available at the front of the properties. Anyway we have an old brick sided garage at the rear of our property (approx 4m wide by 3m deep), as well as a gate to the left of the garage (approx 1.3m) that gives us access to the service road mentioned above. We plan to knock down the garage and replace it with a wooden shed/cabin. However we are unsure if we can choose a 5m wide x 3m deep model, or whether the cabin can only be as big as the original garage footprint.
We would rather maximise the cabin size if we can, are not concerned with maintaining foot access to the service road at the rear of the property.

I have looked at neighbouring properties and a couple have sheds/garages that span the whole width of the garden, which is in effect what the larger cabin would do. However I don't want to push for the larger model if there is a chance that a small part of it is sitting on land that I don't own.
I did look on the property deeds, but the boundary just isn't clear. It is also worth noting that we have a good relationship with our neighbours on the side in question. Hopefully the attachment should help clarify the question - do I own and hence can I build on area Q in the diagram below? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Bounary question.jpg
Bounary question.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 533 times
sreed

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Garden shed boundary

Postby ParallelLines » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:53 am

I think you need to check your deeds to see if there are any easements relating to that gate. If the bins were ever stored there there can be an easement for example. Another issue is you may well have a sewer running across the garden. If that is the case you may need to think about maintaining some sort of access for the water co.

Perhaps you need to check with the owner of the service road re the land ownership if your deeds are not clear.
ParallelLines

Return to Boundaries