Flats built up to boundary

Flats built up to boundary

Postby FrenchMarigold » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:06 pm

My daughter owns an ex-council house. She bought it specifically for the larger than average garden and the fact it was not overlooked (had a 4ft.6 fence all round). One neighbour shares a fence the length of the garden and one only halfway as a surgery carpark shares the other half. The end of the garden shared its boundary with a derelict area which belonged to a pub. My daughter has spent the past 7 years turning the abandoned garden of her house into a wonderful oasis. The pub and land then came up for sale and was bought by a developer. They knocked the pub down and chopped down all the trees on the other side of her fence so she planted leylandii on her side a metre inside her fence. She wrote and protested when plans were submitted for two blocks of flats as one of the blocks was going to be just over a metre from her fence and the windows of the upper flat's living room and kitchen looked straight into her hitherto private garden. The planners ignored her protest and that of her neighbour but took the concerns of the housholders on the far side of the pub grounds onboard and said windows on that side must have obscure glazing. Her trees have now grown but not enough yet to hide the windows. The building itself blocks out the sun light from a large part of her garden and has made it seem quite claustrophobic. She has written and protested to everyone she can think of but so far to no avail. Given that the trees are leylandii, will the occupants of the flats be able to complain to the council and force her to trim them so they can see into her garden? It seems odd that you can complain to a council about a leylandii hedge and get something done but complaining about a building that has an even more detrimental effect is ignored.
FrenchMarigold

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Flats built up to boundary

Postby Collaborate » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:26 pm

Well, the planning system has had its say and the flats built, so nothing can be done about that.

The flat owners can make a complaint about the hedge. Whether or not the LA take action all depends on the extent of loss of light.

Your daughter could always plant a deciduous tree to block the view in spring and summer, which is when she'll be using the garden after all. The LA can't do anything about that.
Collaborate

Postby Roblewis » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:43 pm

There is nothing to prevent bamboo hedges as it is not a tree even though it is evergreen
Roblewis

Postby COGGY » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:30 pm

We have found bamboo is brilliant as a hedge. It is wise to choose the type of bamboo wisely. We have it planted in a very very big tub and every so often have to thin it out. Some bamboo spreads like wildfire so care is needed but I thoroughly recommend it. A look on the RHS website would be useful before purchasing. Coggy
COGGY

Postby Eliza » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:38 am

Personally - I regard it as antisocial to plant leylandii where there is an existing property that will be affected in any way at all.

But this has been planted against a property-to-be and specifically because of it. So, in those circumstances, I'd just keep the proof to hand of how long I had owned my house, when I had heard about the flats, when I had planted the leylandii - in order to prove what the sequence of events was. That being that I had planted those trees purely and specifically to block out the flats being able to see into my private garden.

That might help if the flat-owners complain.
Apologies for not giving exact personal details in my posts - you never know who is reading....
Eliza

Postby Roblewis » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:15 am

Even a hedge of these monsters cannot be touched as a hedge

The giant bamboo (Dendrocalamus giganteus) of tropical south-east Asia ­ can reach as high as 50 m (164 ft). :) :) :)
Roblewis

Postby nigelrb » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:47 pm

Roblewis wrote:
The giant bamboo (Dendrocalamus giganteus) of tropical south-east Asia ­ can reach as high as 50 m (164 ft). :) :) :)

In words adapted from Crocodile Dundee: 'Now THAT'S a hedge!!
Life is never what it seems; there is always two sides to every story.
nigelrb

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Boundaries