Wood piled up against my extension wall

Wood piled up against my extension wall

Postby dawniecarl » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:29 pm

When I bought my semi, it already had a side garage extension with room/downstairs loo behind that stretches the full depth of the house and goes to the boundary. My next door neighbour started off piling up wood for a wood burner, firstly against the boundary wall by the back garden but now it stretches the full length of my extension too and half way across his drive. I think it's became a hobby for him collecting it, it's far more than anyone would ever need. It's almost 5 foot high all the way along. Each to their own, but I'm just wondering if this is likely to do any damage to my property? I appreciate it's on his side but do I have a right to ask for it to be removed from against my property? I don't want any bother with them but it's getting OTT.
dawniecarl

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Wood piled up against my extension wall

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi dawniecarl,

anything piled against a brick wall is likely to create a water trap and encourage damp.

is the wood actually resting against your wall, though, or just piled very close by?

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby dawniecarl » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:25 pm

I attach a couple of photos showing what I mean. I think it is right up against the wall. At the front it is large planks of wood/branches, and then behind they have made a log store against the wall too. My extension is on the left and this is their driveway, with their property in white on the right-hand side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dawniecarl

Postby despair » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:41 pm

They need to be politely requested to remove that wood because its breaching your damp course and will cause expensive and serious damp issues
Legally its your wall and your property and they cannot lean or pile anything against it
nor can they attach anything to it
paint or stain it or grow climbers or ivy up it

if they argue suggest they think about what their reaction would be if you piled stuff against side of their house or car
despair

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi dawniecarl,

if they are uncooperative politely suggest they seek legal advice - half hour free session with a sols should suffice -
to avoid getting themselves into a costly pickle.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby dawniecarl » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:48 pm

Well, I asked his partner politely and explained the situation. She said after that she had spoken to him and he said the wood isn't damp. I explained that it is wet wood being left there to dry out against my wall and I would like it removed. I did say that I'm sure he wouldn't pile it against his own property and she agreed.

That was some weeks ago and the wood still hasn't moved. In fact, as I type I can hear him throwing more down the driveway. Is there anything I could print off to show him re the law on this? I'm struggling to find anything online. I'd obviously like to avoid solicitors etc if possible.
dawniecarl

Postby COGGY » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:43 am

Hi
I am sure others on here will advise you on the legal position. I wonder if citizens advice may be any help also. Your neighbour seems to be an extremely awkward individual.
Regards Coggy
COGGY

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Boundaries