Neighbour removed my ivy

Neighbour removed my ivy

Postby kmmr99 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:22 am

Hello,

Hoping for some help!

We have Ivy on the back wall of the garden in the flat we rent out (ie we are the landlords). The wall is the neighbours side wall. It's been there for at least 15 years, in a tiny garden in London. Anyway, they appeared last week and decided they didn't like it and I got a message saying they were removing it. There is no evidence it was damaging their wall, but I don't mind if they want to remove it. They have never said a word to me before, or tried to contact me.

However, apparently they just hacked at it, and I got the following pictures just sent to me. What do I do about this? Surely they can't just do this and leave me with the mess, and probably broken fence to deal with? They left it like the top photo, and it's fallen over the weekend.

Any advice. I've no idea what to do, and it doesn't help that I'm in Australia. There is no access to the garden other than through the flat, so removing it is going to be a nightmare. Thoughts and advice on what to do?

IMG_6880-2.JPG

IMG_6957.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kmmr99

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour removed my ivy

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:41 am

Hi kmmr99,

it is what it is and they've most likely done no wrong.

hire someone to clear it up for you.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:22 pm

kmmr99 wrote:Hello,

Hoping for some help!

We have Ivy on the back wall of the garden in the flat we rent out (ie we are the landlords). The wall is the neighbours side wall. It's been there for at least 15 years, in a tiny garden in London. Anyway, they appeared last week and decided they didn't like it and I got a message saying they were removing it. There is no evidence it was damaging their wall, but I don't mind if they want to remove it. They have never said a word to me before, or tried to contact me.

There is no entitlement for you to grow ivy on the neighbours wall, no matter how long it has been there. Perhaps it was mentioned to your tenant, but it didn't get passed on.

The second photo shows what appears to be a vent for a gas boiler, minus its cowl - I suspect the cowl is in your ivy somewhere.

There is nothing especially difficult about removing the ivy although the layout of the flat and experience of those tasked with it may have an impact. Dust masks must be worn.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby mr sheen » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:54 pm

You have no right to grow plants on other people's property therefore you were causing a nuisance and they had every right to remove it. Ivy leads to damp and can penetrate the brickwork and destabilise it....so this may not be the last you hear of this if their property has been damaged.
In order to avoid this happening again, you may want would to get the lot removed before your ivy grows back and potentially causes damage to the neighbour's wall....which would be much more expensive for you.
mr sheen

Postby jonahinoz » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi,

Me? I'd buy some rubble sacks, and maybe hire a garden shredder ... small bits will take up less space than a cushion of foliage.

Do you have a "managing agent"? My mate was always off doing odd-jobs for a local estate agent, anything from erecting/removing for sale signs, changing locks, etc. I'd guess that most estate agents know somebody similar.

John W
jonahinoz

Postby despair » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:58 pm

its up to you to ensure someone checks on the property and as said by others you have no right to grow ivy up a neighbours wall irrespective of whether its doing damage
its their property and their right to object
despair

Postby kmmr99 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:11 am

Hi,

Thanks all. I guess it was just a bit of a shock to see such a mess! I wish they had tried to get in touch, and we could have done it in a more orderly manner, but such is life. I've asked the agent to find someone and sort it out, and asked them to be extra careful with the tenants goods.

It's not a plant that I like in anyway, and it has resisted attempts to be killed in the past, but I will get them to work harder on it this time! It's a good thing really, at least now the problem will be gone for good.

Cheers,

kmmr
kmmr99

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Boundaries