Can I build a garage/shed over parking space?

Can I build a garage/shed over parking space?

Postby Tristan27 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Hi there,

We've just bought our first house and would love some advice.
We have a parking space which sits next to our garden. I have the deeds and have attached land registry picture, etc, which lead me to believe it's within our boundaries...
However, on a hand drawn version it suggests it was/is 'shared parking' - although being within our boundaries?
Only I/we park here, and it is right by our gate/ garden. We tend to use this rear entrance into the house, and would love to build a garage to park in/come through.
Essentially we would like some clarification - from somebody more clued up than I - about whether this land is ours and if we may build on it.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot,

T
Attachments
Capture.GIF
Hand Drawn Boundaries
Capture.GIF (237.35 KiB) Viewed 633 times
Boundaries (2).GIF
Land registry Boundaries
Boundaries (2).GIF (175.04 KiB) Viewed 633 times
Tristan27

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Can I build a garage/shed over parking space?

Postby despair » Tue May 09, 2017 10:00 pm

very much doubt it since its effectively also a part of manouvering space

it might be possible to have a carport but it would have to be designed so the parking /manouvering area is not hindered by posts
you would need agreement of all parties though

i think you are best to forget the idea
despair

Postby Collaborate » Tue May 09, 2017 11:26 pm

You can't tell what rights others have over the parking spot by looking at the plan. You have to look at the deeds to your property, and possibly also your neighbour's deeds.
Collaborate

Postby jdfi » Mon May 29, 2017 6:44 pm

Does the little stub road where you've written 'shared access' feature on your local council's definitive map?
jdfi

Postby pilman » Wed May 31, 2017 10:18 pm

On the register of title for your property is there mention of an original conveyance that states that there is a "Copy Filed" with Land Registry, or do you already have a copy of the original conveyance when this property was first sold by the developer.

That is the deed where there would have been a reference to what that space was intended for.

One interesting thing about the hand drawn plan is the absence of inward facing T marks on the final section of the side boundary behind the house, although it was shown by the T mark that your property was responsible to maintain the first section of fence at the rear as well as all the fence at the front side boundary.

It isn't clear from that plan whether it was intended that this space was to be outside of a boundary fence that defined your rear garden and kept that space separate for shared parking.
It would be important to know who was to share it.
There should be a deed in existence that will include a reference to who was to share it, if it was not for the exclusive use of your property.

Finding a copy of such a deed will be necessary before you could contemplate developing that area for your exclusive use.
pilman

Return to Boundaries