Rainwater

Rainwater

Postby Argyle » Sat May 13, 2017 7:40 pm

I am about to commence self building on a plot of land with a shared drive, owned by my neighbour, and about to lay the slab and drainage pipes. It has been agreed that the rainwater waste pipe can go under the drive so that it can eventually drain into a stream (as per plans). Unfortunately, the pipe also needs to go under someone else's land for about 2 metres before reaching the stream and they refused to allow me to lay pipes on their land. My presumption is that is their right so I will have to find another solution. However, I have been told that this person does not actually own the strip of land in question, and according to the Land Registry this seems to be correct. The Land Registry shows his property ending at his side of the stream and my neighbours property starting 2 metres from his side of the stream, where a fence has previously been erected: which means there is a strip of approx. 2 metres apparently 'unowned', on our side of the stream, at least according to the Land Registry. I should point out that whoever owns it is definitely not me.

I do not know whether my next door neighbour, who owns the drive, is aware of the Land Registry potential discrepancy (although I would guess that they would want it if it was potentially 'theirs').

As I really want to lay pipe work under this strip to get access to the stream, does anyone have any ideas how I might reach this goal (or am I doomed to Plan B)?
Argyle

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Rainwater

Postby despair » Sat May 13, 2017 8:07 pm

why bother
just divert all rainwater from guttering and downpipes into water butts /storage and then you cannot be charged a surface water charge by water company and you have enough water fir your garden all year
despair

Postby Collaborate » Sat May 13, 2017 11:10 pm

Only the owner of the property can stop you, so go ahead, but it will be 20 years before you acquire the right by prescription and it might cause problems if/when you come to sell.
Collaborate

Postby jdfi » Mon May 29, 2017 7:01 pm

despair wrote:why bother
just divert all rainwater from guttering and downpipes into water butts /storage and then you cannot be charged a surface water charge by water company and you have enough water fir your garden all year

I visited a business few weeks ago who told me rainwater provides 90% of their needs. Take a look at this?

Could always put pipes under the paving but don't actually use them initially?

I would be inclined to put something there soonest really.

Could your neighbour also possess this unregistered strip, instead of the horrible person doing so?

Any guesses as to whom the true owner may be? Local lord of the manor type perhaps?
jdfi

Return to Boundaries