Buying a small strip of land from a neighbour

Buying a small strip of land from a neighbour

Postby SwitchRich » Mon May 15, 2017 12:59 pm

Hi Guys,
Quick question for you. I've spoke to a neighbour who owns a strip of land that runs across a small part of our back garden. It's probably 1m by 4m.
And I've said I would like to make an offer if he were willing to sell. And so far he said would definitely entertain the idea and will come back to me with a price.
It's not a game changer if it does not happen but I could use it to make a larger patio area and also store logs for the fire in winter time.

If he wants to sell, does the process have to involve lawyers on both sides with all the costs etc? Only I think I remember reading on here that it could be done without lawyers and we could update Land Registry ourselves. (Can't find the thread in question though) I guess the advantage here is I could make him a bigger offer if we saved on lawyers.

If anyone could shed any light on this I'd be very greatful! :)

Cheers

Rich
SwitchRich

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Buying a small strip of land from a neighbour

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi SwitchRich,

I've bought and sold registered land without using a sols - completing the HMLR forms myself - and found it all straightforward and simple enough.

never done it with unregistered, though, so no idea about that.

if you need help understanding the process I'd recommend you read the HMLR guides available online.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Mon May 15, 2017 3:49 pm

This should cover everything you need:

pilman wrote:Now that the outhouse is demolished what you are considering selling is additional land that can be used as part of the neighbour's garden.

The normal criteria is to calculate the additional value this land will add to the property whose owner wants to buy it.

So much depends on the area of land, where in England it is located, and the current value of residential property in that area. It also depends on the fact that you will no longer be able to access this land which may be of importance to the neighbour for reasons of privacy.

In 2002 a group of neighbours agreed to buy adjacent farm-land behind the residential properties from Bedfordshire County Council. We were quoted £25 per square metre, because the Council's land-agent calculated that each house plot would be worth that much more once this land was incorporated into the garden of each house.
In 2010 my friend asked to buy farm-land behind his house from Central Bedfordshire Council, after Beds C.C. had been disbanded. This quote was £50 per square metre.

It's now 2017 and land-prices have increased further, so it comes down to the age old question as to what a willing buyer and a willing seller will agree is the fair price of a small parcel of land.

The main thing is to ensure that all legal costs are the responsibility of the buyer, although if your property is registered with Land Registry it should be possible to agree a fixed sale price with no other costs involved, as long as you can complete the single form TP1 that can be downloaded from the Land Registry web-site.

Once your neighbour has seen a copy of the register of title for your property that proves legal ownership, then a signed TP1 form is the legal deed that transfers ownership of the land that will need to be identified on a simple plan with the dimensions of the plot being transferred written on that plan. You then hand the signed TP1 form over on receipt of the agreed price paid in cash, or by Bankers Draft, or by bank transfer.

That way there is no need for any legal fees if you and the neighbour are comfortable with that system, so you can ask a slightly higher selling price because there will be no need to employ a solicitor for either party.
The seller will then just need to print off an AP1 form from Land Registry's web-site and send a cheque and the TP1 to land Registry to have the land recorded in their ownership.
All that is explained on the LR web-site which means that a simple transfer of land can be undertaken by anyone capable of down-loading and printing forms and confirming the fee to be paid based on the value of the land being transferred. When that value is less than £6,000 there is no need to employ any solicitor nor to provide any proof of identity to Land Registry.

Should your property be unregistered then it is a matter for a solicitor to act for the buyer and probably for you as well. That is when the legal costs could be quite significant even for a small patch of land.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Collaborate » Mon May 15, 2017 6:39 pm

If your neighbour has a mortgage on their property they will need to instruct a solicitor on their lender's panel.
Collaborate

Postby SwitchRich » Mon May 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Thanks so much Mac, arborlad and Collaborate! So helpful of you :)
pilman gets some props too! :D
Neighbour has said he is retired so it might be he doesn't have a mortgage.
Will let you know how it goes.

Rich
SwitchRich

Postby pilman » Mon May 22, 2017 6:34 pm

You can confirm that neighbour's land is registered by looking on the Land Registry web-site?
then you can purchase the register of title and title plan for £6.
That will let you know if there is a mortgage company with a charge on the property.

You can let me know if you need any assistance, but the TP1 and AP1 forms are downloadable from LR web-site.
Can be completed on screen and then printed for signing and witnessing in the case of the TP1 which is the transfer deed for a Transfer of Part of a registered title.

"Simples" as the Meerkats say on TV, and they can't type as good as you do when you post on GardenLaw.
pilman

Postby SwitchRich » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:44 am

Hey Guys, Is it me or have the Land Registry prices gone up?
I'm trying to buy my neighbours register and plan and it is saying the price is now £29.90?
I remember about a year ago this being £3 or so.
Am I going onto the wrong area of the website?
https://www.land-registry-deeds.co.uk/p ... e-register
SwitchRich

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:50 am

SwitchRich wrote:Hey Guys, Is it me or have the Land Registry prices gone up?
I'm trying to buy my neighbours register and plan and it is saying the price is now £29.90?
I remember about a year ago this being £3 or so.
Am I going onto the wrong area of the website?
https://www.land-registry-deeds.co.uk/p ... e-register
that is a private, money-making website, not the HMLR website.

this is, though:

http://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/wp ... rty_Search
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:54 am

arborlad

arborlad

Postby pilman » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:19 am

Arborlad you have to keep up to date, because Mac's posting used the web-page that immediately takes one to the start of a search.
The .Gov site is a step further back in the process which requires an extra "click" to get to the page Mac had already got to.

That's the equivalent to saying "a click in time saves two" :lol:
pilman

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:24 am

arborlad wrote:Wrong site - correct one: https://www.gov.uk/search-property-info ... d-registry
Hi arborlad,

clicking on the "Start Here" button on the webpage you've linked to takes the user to the page I linked to.

in other words, clicking on your link means the user has to navigate further to get to where they're wanting to go.

understand you're trying to help, though - not criticising.

Kind regards, Mac
edit: pilman, as ever, puts it better
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:41 am

I chose that section of the site because it contained this:

Fees
Document (each copy) Fee
Title summary (available from the new service) £3 (including VAT)
Title register £3
Title plan £3
Flood risk indicator £10.80 (including VAT)
arborlad

arborlad

Postby SwitchRich » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:39 pm

That's awesome! Thanks all :)
Thought it was expensive. Must be paying google a big bill to come up 1st in the list :D
Wonder who many people actually use them.
SwitchRich

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Boundaries