Land locked strip of land

Land locked strip of land

Postby Colobos » Tue May 23, 2017 6:06 am

Hi,

First time here and I hope this is in the right section.

As you can see in the attached picture my house is bordered in red, however the strip of land that is coloured in green by me is a completely land locked.

I know from the deeds that the land was sold to Barnsley council in the late forties and the bungalows south of my property were built at a much later date.

I've recently taken my fence down that borders the strip of land as it was rotten and the strip of land was full of weeds which I've cleared out.

My question is, is this a common occurrence? and would I have a good of chance using the strip directly at the back of the garden to extend my garden? Or should I investigate trying to purchase it?

land.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colobos

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Land locked strip of land

Postby Collaborate » Tue May 23, 2017 7:17 am

I doubt you'd get anywhere trying to buy it.

Possibly it could be that it's an old right of way passage - was the housing previously terraced?

Check the location here http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=7&lat=53.1929&lon=-0.9668&layers=171&right=BingHyb and see what it used to be.

Check your deeds and those of your immediate neighbours to see whether you or any of them have a ROW over the land. If it shows as all clear I'd just fence it off if I were you.
Collaborate

Postby despair » Tue May 23, 2017 8:26 am

Chances are its simply a thing councils and developers did years back leaving a "service " strip which was supposed to be a vegetation buffer between houses
i know that was the situation where my mother lived
but many houseowners like you simply took down the fence cultivated the land and claimed it
probably no one will notice
despair

Postby Colobos » Tue May 23, 2017 10:19 am

Before my house was built there was nothing here, just a field. The bungalows as far as im aware have always been bungalows.

There is row on my drive but thats only for no 23 to get a car to their property.
Colobos

Postby ukmicky » Wed May 24, 2017 1:19 am

I had a strip of land just like that behind my rear fence that was full of brambles and nettles, that always found a way through my fence panels . When I replaced my fence I moved the fence back 4 foot so I no longer have a 4 foot section of land beyond my fence .
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Return to Boundaries