Gate replaced by ridiculous shop frontshutter! So ugly!

Gate replaced by ridiculous shop frontshutter! So ugly!

Postby SwitchRich » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Dear Garden Law,
I'm posing this on behalf of my brother who lives in Streatham in London.
One of the neighbours on his road has replaced a gate with what appears to be a large white shop front shutter. (the type you might use to secure a shop window)
It's utterly massive and so ugly! I'm sure it must be placed there without permission as I can't believe that someone from the council might give it permission.
Would love for you to take a look at some of the photos attached and let me know what you think. It's been in place for a good few months but if you follow the link below you can see what it also used to look like!

What's the best way to complain to the council about this?

Cheers

Rich

(Google link to what it used to look like)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.41469 ... 6656?hl=en

IMG_2520.JPG
Front View
IMG_2520.JPG (102.66 KiB) Viewed 434 times

IMG_2521 (1).JPG
Side View
IMG_2521 (1).JPG (114.39 KiB) Viewed 434 times

IMG_2522 (1).JPG
Rear View
IMG_2522 (1).JPG (112.59 KiB) Viewed 434 times
SwitchRich

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Gate replaced by ridiculous shop frontshutter! So ugly!

Postby jdfi » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:53 pm

How tall is it at its tallest point?
jdfi

Postby despair » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:42 pm

Seems strange but if it was a garage it would be perfectly normal and good security

I doubt its illegal
despair

Postby jonahinoz » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi,

An outbuilding can comply with PD requirements by being under 2.5m high.

A fence on a road boundary may only be 1m high.

Question ... How high may a gate be without exceeding PD limits?

jonahinoz

Postby ukmicky » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:24 pm

Very weird seeing something you know , I drive down that road 2 or 3 times a week at the moment.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby SwitchRich » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 am

@jdfi, The brick wall is 28 courses high. So at ~75mm per course the wall is around 2 meters 10cm. Which is about right as I am 2m tall and cannot see over the top of the wall.
The top height of that white bit must then be well over 2.5 meters total.

@despair Please note whilst there is a drop kerb this is not the front of a garage! Previously it was just a gate. Please take a look at the link below to see what it looked like before.

@ukmicky, That's amazing you actually drive past this regularly! :D What do you think of it?

Rich
SwitchRich

Postby arborlad » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:30 am

SwitchRich wrote:One of the neighbours on his road has replaced a gate with what appears to be a large white shop front shutter. (the type you might use to secure a shop window)
It's utterly massive and so ugly! I'm sure it must be placed there without permission as I can't believe that someone from the council might give it permission.

From the description I was expecting something worse than the reality, it does seem a little incongruous on it's own but I predict this will be joined to the building behind with some sort of car port.

It fits exactly between two existing pillars, I think that's by design not accident.

What's the best way to complain to the council about this?

You just contact the local Planning Officer in the normal way but why not ask the neighbour?

All the recent work seems to be to a reasonable standard.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby SwitchRich » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:45 am

Interesting thoughts arborlad.
On closer inspection of the google link it does seem like the garage wall structure you see was previously made of wood. Whereas the new pictures I took recently now show it to be made of brick.
So it does look like the whole thing has been remade with a possible intention to be covered over at some point to extend that garage.

Will leave the neighbourly interactions to my bro, but wanted to get the opinion of you guys first as it just seems so out of place when you look at it.

Cheers!

Rich
SwitchRich

Postby ukmicky » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:46 pm

SwitchRich wrote:@jdfi, The brick wall is 28 courses high. So at ~75mm per course the wall is around 2 meters 10cm. Which is about right as I am 2m tall and cannot see over the top of the wall.
The top height of that white bit must then be well over 2.5 meters total.

@despair Please note whilst there is a drop kerb this is not the front of a garage! Previously it was just a gate. Please take a look at the link below to see what it looked like before.

@ukmicky, That's amazing you actually drive past this regularly! :D What do you think of it?

Rich

TBH I've hardly noticed it much ,It just looks like a garage from roadside . I have a friend I drop off on heatherset on my way home , I live in Croydon.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Boundaries