Unregistered land, and adverse possession

Unregistered land, and adverse possession

Postby chykensa » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi all, my first post so please be gentle!
At the foot of our garden is a piece of disused land, overgrown and with 6' of brambles and bracken.
We are interested in finding out more about how to go about gaining this land, in partnership with our neighbours, not to use for any other purpose than to prevent it being built on and to remain as it is at present, a buffer between ourselves and the field beyond it.
I have today heard back from the LRS that the land is indeed unregistered, and wondered what our next step might be.

Thank you in advance :)
chykensa

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Unregistered land, and adverse possession

Postby clahay » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi there. I can only speak from experience and not from any legal point of view but my mum and all her neighbours did this with the land at the back of their houses. Fenced it off and 12 years later they all got adverse possession with a land surveyor helping them draw out the plans etc. before submitting to the Land Registry. They all incorporated it into their existing gardens, made sure they used it and worked it etc.
clahay

Postby jdfi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:08 pm

Do you have any idea who the true owner is?
jdfi

Postby ukmicky » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:57 pm

Most of the time its impossible to find the owners.

I had the same at the end of my garden and I couldn't stop the brambles etc. coming through so I just adopted it and extended my garden.

Funny really as I was once dead against the idea of adverse possession. If its like the area I had behind my garden it was landlocked and the only person who could gain access was me. I doubt I will go through the formal AP process as the title plans don't show it as a separate plot and its impossible to say if it was mine anyway or the field behind me had its fence placed in the wrong position.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Return to Boundaries