Overhanging Bird Feeder

Overhanging Bird Feeder

Postby VicLad » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Not sure if this is the right forum but a neighbour at the bottom of my garden has erected a bird feeder (metal pole with multiple trays and hanging things) on his boundary fence. Most of the feeder hangs in my garden at a eye level and so is potentially dangerous as its close to my water butt. At the end of the day I don't want his bird feeder in my garden so I intend writing him a polite and friendly note asking him to move it but I'm not holding my breath. Last year he painted his fence with a sprayer along with my water butt, composting tub and greenhouse, (took ages to clean the greenhouse) - so clearly not very neighbourly.

If he doesn't move it what options do I have as I am wary of criminal damage claims etc. if I just hack it down where it overhangs?
VicLad

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Overhanging Bird Feeder

Postby MacadamB53 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:33 pm

Hi VicLad,

If he doesn't move it what options do I have as I am wary of criminal damage claims etc. if I just hack it down where it overhangs?

how about taking them down with care rather than hacking them? or is that not an option?

kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby VicLad » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks Mac but its a standard bird feeder on a single pole. The neighbour has used the tray part of it to wedge it in place between the fence palings but thats at face height right by where I use my water butt. I can't dismantle it without going onto his property so the only solution would be to cut off the overhanging bits with something like a bolt cutter but would that constitute criminal damage?
VicLad

Postby MacadamB53 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:46 am

VicLad wrote:Thanks Mac but its a standard bird feeder on a single pole. The neighbour has used the tray part of it to wedge it in place between the fence palings but thats at face height right by where I use my water butt. I can't dismantle it without going onto his property so the only solution would be to cut off the overhanging bits with something like a bolt cutter but would that constitute criminal damage?
that would be for the judge to determine should a criminal case be brought against you, but I'd say "yes".

to avoid arrest, ask them to move it and forewarn them of your intentions if they don't.

"thank you" card and bottle of plonk if they do move it.
like-for-like replacement (purchased in advance) if they don't move it and you have to damage.

kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:15 pm

VicLad wrote: Most of the feeder hangs in my garden at a eye level and so is potentially dangerous as its close to my water butt.

Apart from the trespass in your garden, that would describe most bird feeders in this country and for that reason they rarely have sharp edges or dangerous corners on the commercially available ones, are you sure you're not overstating the dangers?

To be of any use, the bird feeders need regular replenishing, before you resort to notes or letters, ask the neighbour to move it.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby VicLad » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:09 pm

Thanks aborlad. my water butt and composter are on a narrow strip of paving between a small wall and the fence so space is restricted. The water butt its at the end of my greenhouse and is attached to the guttering. The scenario would be me bending over filling up my watering cans, forgetting its there, standing up and catching my head on the overhanging bits or snagging my shoulder. Its very rarely I see him and to be honest which is why I intend to slip an informal note through his letterbox.

Its not the sort of thing you would want to get legal over but its a nuisance altering the enjoyment of my garden so I was just looking for practical advice in getting it moved if he refuses to move it. The only contents of the feeder are one fat ball on the bit overhanging his garden.
VicLad

Return to Boundaries