Neighbour's garage stands 2ft into my garden

Neighbour's garage stands 2ft into my garden

Postby GarageLand » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi all

The length of the side of my neighbours garage stands about 2ft into my back garden. I imagine that, at some point in the past, a previous owner of my house allowed the previous owner of next door, to build into the garden. It doesn't look like it was ever officially agreed/sold etc. I bought my house 3 years ago and next door is currently rented to a tenant.

I'm not worried about it as things are, it was like that when I bought my house and am sure It's been there for more than 12 years, so doubt very much there is anything I could do anyway. I have no desire to try and insist they knock down their garage. Like I said, it was my choice to buy the place like that.

However, the garage is not in the best condition and could feasibly be removed before too long. If that happened, am I in a position to claim my boundary back, or does next door now own a strip of my garden?
GarageLand

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour's garage stands 2ft into my garden

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi GarageLand,

However, the garage is not in the best condition and could feasibly be removed before too long. If that happened, am I in a position to claim my boundary back, or does next door now own a strip of my garden?

here's how I would approach it.

assuming that I can show that the garage was built on land which was part of my property, as opposed to a predecessor of mine encroaching out along the rest of the boundary or having no evidence as to where the boundary was prior to garage being built, then I'd see there being three options to get it back.

1. persuade the neighbour to give it back.
2. spend a considerable sum of money on a legal case to have a court decide whether it should be given back.
3. buy it off the neighbour.

alternatively, if, like you, owning the sliver of land was no big deal, I could simply continue to enjoy life without owning the sliver of land.

kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby arborlad » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:45 pm

GarageLand wrote:However, the garage is not in the best condition and could feasibly be removed before too long. If that happened, am I in a position to claim my boundary back,

No.

GarageLand wrote: or does next door now own a strip of my garden?

Yes.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby Clifford Pope » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:55 pm

You could try a friendly chat with the neighbour suggesting that if you were to buy the strip for a reasonable sum, he would then be in a position to replace it with a better garage on the new line. Then you would both gain - he'd have a new garage, and you would have a bit of extra garden with a nicer view behind it.
Clifford Pope

Postby GarageLand » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:02 pm

Thanks all
GarageLand

Postby jonahinoz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi,

In situations like this, is there any advantage in formalising the situation, which will cost what ... £40 each? As it stands, somebody less pragmatic than yourself could generate a dispute.

Me? My shed has poked into next doors garden since 1976, but the LR map still showed the boundary as a straight line. The shed was pretty dilapidated, so I demolished it, put the fence back where it should be.

John W
jonahinoz

Return to Boundaries