The Tale of Mr Scum

The Tale of Mr Scum

Postby xoggoth » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:03 pm

I'm afraid all my previous questions have been very dull and boring stuff about boundaries. Gross lack of human interest. However, armed with a few vodkas, I would like to seek a bit more advice about response to my NFH, Mr Scum, which is on my mind a lot at moment.

Mr Scum is the sort of chap who does what he wants and will brook no opposition. We used to be friends until he decided he would like to occupy some woodland behind our houses that he did not own. When I asked him very politely to keep his activities behind his own house he deliberately cut down trees behind ours and scattered the remains everywhere. I gave him an ultimatum which he heeded for two years then it all started again.

Fortunately Mr Scum is an idiot. Finally, after two years he has lost with the council and the land owners. Given the burden of proof, that takes talent.

So, pursuing his threat over the garden wall that "whatever happens I will be the loser" he decides that our 33 year old boundary is somehow in the wrong place. Legally, total nonsense as far as I can see but at first I was quite keen to find a compromise as long as it did not involve more than a few inches as our Leylandii hedge is horrible, blights about three feet of our garden and I would much prefer a decent fence there myself.

However, thinking about it, if we agreed on this there would just be some other thing. This is not really a genuine concern about boundaries or hedges, just about spite. A signed agreement with him would mean nothing, this is a chap who encloses an area of woodland and then signs a planning application a year later stating it has been enclosed for ten years and get three mates to sign it.

My last letter to him was non-commital saying I would be taking further advice and if a solution presented whereby we could agree on I might get back to him. I also said if would take legal action in event of any further damage to my property. (He has cut the hedge back to the trunks)

I now think my best strategy is to do absolutely nothing. I have legal insurance so if he decides to take legal action himself (frankly I think he will not find a surveyor or solicitor to entertain his nonsense) or unilaterally decides to cut down my hedge I should be covered.

The porcupine defence. Sit back and wait. Does this sound sound?
Last edited by xoggoth on Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
xoggoth

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:58 pm

visit www.bullyonline.org and you will soon see the personality of Mr Scum

You and I suffer the same idiots ..........bullys always trip themselves up eventually so yes do nothing but compile every shred of evidence and photos

On no account respond to him or even look at him ......cut him dead
he is wanting attention and when he does not get it he will do something outrageous

If you respond he will simply twist everything into something quite alien from the truth yet apparently believable

Whatever you do do not change any boundary however much you hate it
better to ensure it looks ghastly his side even if this means corrugated iron etc
despair

Postby David » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:50 pm

despair wrote:visit www.bullyonline.org and you will soon see the personality of Mr Scum

You and I suffer the same idiots ..........bullys always trip themselves up eventually so yes do nothing but compile every shred of evidence and photos

On no account respond to him or even look at him ......cut him dead
he is wanting attention and when he does not get it he will do something outrageous

If you respond he will simply twist everything into something quite alien from the truth yet apparently believable

Whatever you do do not change any boundary however much you hate it
better to ensure it looks ghastly his side even if this means corrugated iron etc

I agree do nothing he seems to have pycological problems.....
With regard to the corregated iron option ....Having actually put up a large attractive fencing to close off my neigbours who responded by giving it a kick every time they passed it and also ecouraging their children to kick balls against it......I made it very clear to them that if a panel was damaged I would replace it with a sheet of old corregated iron roofing their side to protect my fencing from them damaging it......I year on no damage has been done.......
David
David

Ta

Postby xoggoth » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:44 pm

For replies chaps/chappesses. (Despair sounds feminine somehow?)

Heard today Mr Scum may be moving anyhow. Not great surprise as he has planning app to build a new house and I can't imagine his missus, who is keen gardener, living on tiny plot of garden that will be left. Let's hope.

Another reason for doing nowt I think. If he sells it to developers they will probably need access to my land to build so my price will be legal settlement of the correct boundary. I imagine they will not object to giving me a few inches of my own land back in return for access and my putting a decent fence up. The cut-back-to-the-trunks hedge on his side looks like something from Beirut meets Dresden and certainly would deter potential buyers.
xoggoth

Return to Boundaries