Dividing a shared garden

Dividing a shared garden

Postby traceycuk » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:15 pm

I live in the top floor flat, there is one a flat below me. I have the freehold for the property and I share the garden with the ground floor. We both have access to it and we both on our plans have the garden split down the middle. When the lady downstairs first purchased the property the garden was divided down the middle by stakes in the ground and rope. She showed me photos and said that she decided to pull this up. I would after 3 years living there like to put a fence up so that i have more privacy. The lady downstairs is not keen for me to do this as she is used to having one big garden to look out onto. What are my rights?
traceycuk

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Dividing a shared garden

Postby Maverick.uk » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:56 pm

If the deeds define it split down the middle and not shared and assuming the deeds dont preclude you from putting in a fence then you should have no problem. How about putting in a 3ft fence as a compromise rather than a 6ft one?

Cheers

Mav
Maverick.uk

Return to Boundaries