Noisy Gate

Noisy Gate

Postby Eagle » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:05 pm

Shortly after our neighbours moved in, they erected a metal gate in their narrow passageway between our houses. At first we agreed they could hang the gate from our wall; however, the morning after it was erected, we were awoken by a terrible grating noise echoing round the bedroom, which could be heard throughout the house.

We got them in to listen and they agreed it was unacceptable so erected an independent post to hang the gate from. Unfortunately, while this decreased the volume slightly, it is still unacceptably loud from our bedroom. We have put up with this (although it leaves me stressed) for a few years now, partly because relations have deteriorated dramatically with the neighbour. We have tried various solutions such as having cavity wall insulation put in, earplugs and moving to another, smaller bedroom at the other end of the house. However, it seems unacceptable that we have to move out of our bedroom because of a noisy gate!! Obviously the alternative is to move house, but that would leave the new owner with the problem. Any attempts to talk to the neighbours usually result in slammed doors, abusive language and, on one occasion, the husband came round & threatened me when I was alone in the house.

Do we have any legal rights concerning the removal of the gate?
Eagle

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Cytania » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:45 pm

No legal rights that I'm aware of and beware - if you have a dispute with your neighbour it must be declared when you sell. Has your dispute involved the police or solicitor's letters? If not then I would think about moving whilst there was no impediment.
They cut down all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum and charged all the people just to see 'em
Cytania

Neighbours gate

Postby Countryman » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:13 pm

Have you contacted the Local Authority Environmental Health department re noise pollution. I would have a chat with them to see if they can help. If you are able to get a good quality tape recording all the better. Be in possession of the facts - i.e. what time they go off to work waking you up or what time they return from the pub at night waking you up etc if applicable).

Countryman
Countryman

noise remedy?

Postby al » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:29 pm

do you also have access down this alley? if so, you could spray wd40 or suchlike on the hinges.. thus curing the grating noise! alternatively, margarine also works a treat. its probably badly hung which might explain why it scrapes when it opens/closes so it might not really help.

im sure youve thought of this already but thought it was worth mentioning.
al

Postby Eagle » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:55 am

Thanks for those. Unfortunately we don't have access to the passageway. The local Environmental Health Dept weren't really interested - they offered to send a letter but weren't hopeful of help beyond that. It really annoys me that the neighbours can put a gate up which disturbs our sleep and our only viable choice is to move! :(
Eagle
Eagle

Postby gardenlaw » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:43 pm

Why cant you you go and oil the gate in the early hours of the morning?
gardenlaw
Site Admin

Postby despair » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:15 pm

A good smear of petroleum jelly on the hinges works better than oil any day and lasts longer too
despair

Postby Eagle » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:17 pm

Thanks, we intend to try the jelly when they're out. However, we think the problem is deeper than that and may be caused by the noise echoing through the foundations when the two parts of the gate are clanged together.
Eagle
Eagle

Postby David » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:51 pm

Eagle wrote:Thanks, we intend to try the jelly when they're out. However, we think the problem is deeper than that and may be caused by the noise echoing through the foundations when the two parts of the gate are clanged together.

I tend to agree with you that the problem is deeper than this.......
How many times a day does this gate clang together?
please tell us what the real problem is:
We have links for you to good phyciatric help if you would like us to help...
Now my next door neighbour flushes his toilet, sometimes once even more times a night causing a casgade of water of possibly 30-40 feet this echoes between our properties like Niagra falls.........When the shrink gets through with me you can have the next appointment.....get a life
David
David

Postby despair » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:10 pm

David

If you cant be constructive then its best you do not contribute in such a rude way

Some people are severely affected by noise
Some buildings transmit noise
I can only guess you have not yet experienced the kind of noise that really gets to you when its repeated often enough

This forum tries to find constructive solutions to problems or gives people links to find legal info

But maybe you are someone elses NFH already !!
Last edited by despair on Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
despair

Noisy Gate

Postby Countryman » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:03 pm

When at our previous address neighbours across the road had an identical probem. The offending gate was across the driveway with a metal post hard up to but not attached to the 'victims' house wall. The noise caused great distress to them and was VERY noisy reverberating throughout the house. Because the owners of the gate had a dog which had to be kept secure the gate was in regular use many times a day. If serious noise occurs even if it's only once daily but its late at night or early morning then once is enough isnt it!
Fortunately common sense eventually prevailed and the two parties jointly agreed that the offending gate post should be taken out and reinstalled with better insulation etc. Peace finally reigned but it was a VERY REAL problem whilst it lasted.

Countryman
Countryman

Postby Beech » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:17 pm

If the gate post is hollow it may be worth filling it with expandable foam, the same sort as used for cavity wall insulation. It might help deaden the sound somewhat.
Beech

Postby David » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:36 am

Beech wrote:If the gate post is hollow it may be worth filling it with expandable foam, the same sort as used for cavity wall insulation. It might help deaden the sound somewhat.

Or if this is now the problem, as it appears to change post by post.....you can get self ahesive felt like pads to absorb the energy bear in mind the varying nature of the nuisance complained of......the whooshing of the air through it will be next.
David
David

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences