Retaining wall fence height

Re: Retaining wall fence height

Postby Crunkle » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:51 am

The problem is that they're still convinced it's measured from their levelled side, I've told them countless times that the gardens been levelled, even though it's blatantly obvious it's been dug out and lowered by a foot.

Yesterday I overheard the lady that lives there say she would have been happy with a 6'5" fence (measured on their side), that would be a 5'5" panel, 5 inches HIGHER than the panel she initially said I could fit, but then changed her mind and said a 5 foot panel is too high and she wanted it left as it is.

I think what we're seeing here is a bog standard boundary fence dispute. :lol:

I've hated this trellis with a passion since the day it was put up, I think most people would and I cannot bare to have another summer ruined by it.

Crunkle

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Crunkle » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:06 am

arborlad wrote:I call it a boundary feature too many.

Quite often, concerns over privacy can be addressed with something like a pergola, which can be placed just where needed, and set at an angle which will have the best effect, and not put your land at risk.

It's not a very big garden and I'll 100% guarantee they'd want that ripped down too! :lol:
Crunkle

Postby pilman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:20 am

You are over thinking this situation.
It is absolutely clear that your garden level finishes up against the wall that should have been erected on their land.
That means there is a constant ground level on all of your garden.

When you erect a fence on your own land that is the only ground level that can possible be considered when measuring the height of the fence from ground level to the top of a fence post erected to support the panels.
Each fence post can be no higher that 2 metres from ground level in order to comply with the requirements of Part 2 Class A of the GPDO.

Just get on and erect it.
You are right, everyone else is wrong.
It is that simple.
pilman

Postby arborlad » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:26 pm

pilman wrote:When you erect a fence on your own land that is the only ground level that can possible be considered when measuring the height of the fence from ground level to the top of a fence post erected to support the panels.

That only holds true whilst the land level remains original and unaltered, if the situation was reversed and the OPs land were raised, any raising in height would be deducted from the overall height allowance.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
arborlad

Postby despair » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:38 pm

That trellis would be fine if it was 6ft6in high and covered with Clematis

As it is its pathetic like the neighbours
despair

Postby pilman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:00 pm

That only holds true whilst the land level remains original and unaltered

Which is the case here, so why worry this poster by making that comment, when he is already too worried for his own good.
As a professional fencer you should be encouraging this poster to get on and erect a fence, as his land is perfectly level and remains original ground level from which he can measure 2 meters in height.

Bedfordshire man is glass half-full man, Hertfordshire man seems to be glass half-empty man in this case.. :roll:
pilman

Postby arborlad » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:10 pm

pilman wrote:
That only holds true whilst the land level remains original and unaltered

Which is the case here,

Which I agreed with:

arborlad wrote:
Crunkle wrote:
I'm saying it's measured from my un-levelled side.

That bit is correct.

]

As a professional fencer you should be encouraging this poster to get on and erect a fence, as his land is perfectly level and remains original ground level from which he can measure 2 meters in height.

On the contrary, I think a 2m high fence in that location would be overbearing, within pd - but overbearing.
Last edited by arborlad on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby ukmicky » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:38 pm

When does altered become unaltered ,4 years ?
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Postby arborlad » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:45 pm

ukmicky wrote:When does altered become unaltered ,4 years ?

I know of no time limit.
arborlad

arborlad

Postby Crunkle » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:36 am

arborlad wrote:On the contrary, I think a 2m high fence in that location would be overbearing, within pd - but overbearing.

I spent 3 years trying to compromise, but was always met with 'we want the light', even though I said I couldn't use my garden with the trellis. Last June or July they agreed I could put up a five footer, I was over the moon, but two days later they changed their mind and insisted on it staying as it is. After that I thought I've spent three years and got nowhere, so I don't have an option but to put up my own on my own land.

I chose six footers as obviously it's my fence, BUT I didn't see why them levelling their land should affect the fence I want to put in! The fence that was there was two six foot panels, the two three foot. They couldn't care less about taking away my privacy when they installed the trellis, I just came home from work and it was .... Oh the fence has gone, with them sat there grinning at me from their decking. I've always hated that trellis with a passion. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I don't feel guilty at all, that damn trellis shouldn't have been put up in the first place!
Crunkle

Postby Crunkle » Thu May 12, 2011 1:51 am

Well after 3+ years of trying to come to a compromise and just being told *I want the light* and *I want it left as it is*, I finally put it up. Things calmed down after a few days, nothings been said about it, the 'mystery men' have stopped marching round their garden, and there was no visits from planning (not that they'd be interested anyway).

For the first time in years, I can finally use my garden without being stared at. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Oh, and my other neighbour bought me some beer as I put up the same panels on her side so she gets the same privacy. :D

Thanks everyone for your help, encouragement, and advice.... wish I did it years ago! :lol:

Crunkle

Postby Mattylad » Thu May 12, 2011 8:04 am

Feels a lot better doesn't it. :D
Any comments I give here are my own opinions, for legal advise check with a qualified solicitor.
Mattylad

Postby despair » Thu May 12, 2011 8:38 am

Now all it needs is some really nice planting to hide those ordinary panels

After such a long battle i would have chosen some really nice looking panels
despair

Postby Crunkle » Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 pm

Mattylad wrote:Feels a lot better doesn't it. :D

You can't imagine how good! I've used my garden more in the last 3 weeks, than the previous 4 or 5 years! 8)

despair wrote:Now all it needs is some really nice planting to hide those ordinary panels

After such a long battle i would have chosen some really nice looking panels

Plants have a mysterious habit of dying when planted near trellis! I'm starting on a border next week. 8)
Crunkle

Postby border collie » Thu May 12, 2011 2:12 pm

They look great! Why have you generously given them the best side?

And is this where the wavy fence was? I thought the wavy fence was inside their garden as a feature!!
border collie

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

PreviousNext

Return to Fences