Retaining wall fence height

Re: Retaining wall fence height

Postby mrbushnell » Sat May 14, 2011 2:14 am

"I helped the previous owner dig the garden out, didn't know that they were planning to put up trellis."

I'm amazed at how many people move into a location (presumably because they like the location) and then change it and demand that you (who lived there first) accept their change. To make it worse, they then demand that you change your property to conform to what they want. They don't check with local zoning codes, don't survey, and often don't hire qualified personnel to work on the job.

You were obviously there first, they built on your property. I don't know what the statute of limitations is, but I would demand that they remove the retaining wall from your property and build an appropriate one entirely on their property. Don't expect any cooperation but maybe they will SHUT UP.

Neighbors aren't neighbors anymore. There are too many pig-headed and bull-headed people out there that want to run your life.

Your crime is that you moved in next to them but did it before they moved in. We were ten years ahead of our current 'neighbor' who built a 'retaining' wall on our property (no survey, to checking building codes, unqualified help) and refused to move it for 4 1/2 years. Oh, yes, and by the way, we sent a certified letter to her before she built warning her not to build on our property, not to build into our fence (which was city-approved and entirely on our property) and not to damage our fence. She, of course did all of those.

Good Luck
mrbushnell

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby Crunkle » Sun May 15, 2011 1:15 pm

border collie wrote:They look great! Why have you generously given them the best side?

And is this where the wavy fence was? I thought the wavy fence was inside their garden as a feature!!

Thanks, I love it, off to buy a Chimenea (sp) today for the patio I can now use. The new fence is 1cm infront of the rubbish trellis. Fitted quite well.

Both sides are the same, but my side's a *little* nicer. 8)
Crunkle

Postby border collie » Sun May 15, 2011 1:45 pm

8) :mrgreen:
border collie

Postby Crunkle » Sun May 15, 2011 1:50 pm

mrbushnell wrote:
"I helped the previous owner dig the garden out, didn't know that they were planning to put up trellis."

I'm amazed at how many people move into a location (presumably because they like the location) and then change it and demand that you (who lived there first) accept their change.

I literally got home from work and they'd ripped down the old fence and replaced it with the trellis. This was AFTER I spent 2 days helping them dig it out as a neighbourly favour. They told me it was going to be 5 foot with a foot of trellis on the top, but they waited till I was at work to put the 3 foot of trellis up right along the whole boundary.

In a nutshell, they bought a house with a small garden and put the trellis up to give the impression of a large garden knowing full well it'd completely remove all of my privacy from my whole garden and patio, and it'd annoy the hell out of me.

Has it annoyed them, definitely. BUT, Did they care that I couldn't use my garden that I paid for, not one bit, I suspect they also liked it that I couldn't use my garden so they could enjoy it instead. :roll:

It's all over now and they can jump up and down all they like. 8)

I did actually run a poll on a forum asking "Would you accept this as a boundary fence" there were a few hundred votes, 95% said "NO, I'd put up my own fence next to it" so it's not just me being a git!!! :lol:
Crunkle

Postby border collie » Sun May 15, 2011 2:48 pm

Nobody could possibly think you were a git for wanting to fence your own garden of the house that you paid for. :shock:
border collie

Postby Crunkle » Sun May 15, 2011 6:33 pm

My neighbour thinks I'm much worse than a git, which I completely understand as they wanted it left as it was. But I just simply couldn't bare that damn trellis for another summer.

Basically a bog standard boundary fence dispute. :lol:
Crunkle

Postby Crunkle » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:23 am

An update.

My neighbour demanded that her fence stays 'as is', despite them reducing my privacy to nothing. Put up my 6 footer anyway, she called the Police 3 times, had the council planning round hers as well. None of them were bothered. I can understand why 6' panels bother her, but she has no idea how much her 3' of trellis ####ed me off. All sorted now. :D

Crunkle

Postby Crunkle » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:01 am

Four years on, my fence is still standing.

My neighbour is still furious that I reinstated the fence back to its original height, the police & council planning told her the law and wouldn't get involved.

Had a few nasty run-ins with her screaming at me, her kids are now throwing their fag and joint butts over my fence onto my patio, they deny it, but as my other two neighbours are 65+ so I think they may be lying, I just throw them back.
Crunkle

Postby arsie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:33 pm

Maybe the police will be interested in conversations you overhear and money changing hands? Dealing going on :wink:
arsie

Postby Crunkle » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:00 am

The worst conversation I overheard was her saying, these exact words "If you want a cat, take his before he gets up, he won't know anything about it". That and trying to get her ex husband to fight me, twice, and the calls to the Police, and council! And they're just the ones I know of!

6 years on and she's still screaming obscenities at me in the street. Calmed down now though, she made the mistake of doing it within earshot of my other neighbour who's in her 70s and wasn't impressed. :D
Crunkle

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Fences