back garden fencing

back garden fencing

Postby sarah » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:47 pm

I am sorry if this has already been said and asked but I could not find it!! WE live in a terraced house and have recently taken down our rotting fence and wish to replace it with panels as high as we can...we have a very nosy neighbour who is constantly peering over our wall (now there is no fence) and have had lots of problems with him. what is the max height we can have from the floor of our garden? his garden is lower does this matter? we have a joint wall and will be putting the fencing on our side of the property...also the old fence that we took down he had screwed into and attached wire and trellis to grow his plants up even tho the fence is ours on our side of the wall...can he do this? Many thanks :wink:
sarah

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:08 pm

You can install any fence you like up to 2 metres or 6ft 6in high from your own ground level .......it does not matter that your neighbours land is lower

Your neighbour CANNOT attach anything to your fence
cannot lean anything against your fence
Cannot grow anything like ivy etc up your fence
Nor can he paint it or stain it

In short he cannot touch it at all ......even more so since theres a boundary wall of yours in between which he also cant touch or attach anything to etc

Suggest you print this and laminate it and staple it to the back of your fence
despair

Postby sarah » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:30 pm

In all seriousness we were going to attach something to that side of the fence saying something along the lines of 'please do not attach anything to this fence or it will be removed' or do you think a polite letter to him would help? He is causing us no end of problems and so I would rather not speak to him if I can help it. I have asked the same question as this on another forum and been told that putting up a fnce is a complicated matter with height and I should seek a solicitors advice as I could have height restrictions in my deeds?? does this sound true?
sarah

Postby despair » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:43 pm

Download a copy of your deeds from the Land Registry Website and his too if you feel like it

£2 each section so thats £4 per house........this will tell you if theres any such height restrictions on your property

Its very unlikely though for a back garden fence

and yes if your neighbour has caused problems then i would indeed print a notice pinting out that legally he cannot do x y z and that this can be confirmed by any citizens advice centre or any solicitor

Its your property and if he does anything to it ......its classed as Criminal Damage
despair

Postby sarah » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:29 pm

where can deeds be downloaded from?
sarah

Postby nigelrb » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:34 pm

Hi Sarah,
try www.landregisteronline.gov.uk

regards,
Nigel
nigelrb

Postby sarah » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:03 am

Thanks I may take a look :wink:
sarah

Postby rootsnall » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:14 pm

Put up a 6ft fence and forget about him. A note would only aggravate matters. We just removed some bushes and it meant we could see previously never seen neighbours on another street, and they could see us. I just put up a 6ft fence for £100 or so and everyone is much happier. I now say hello to the neighbours I never knew I had when I see them in the shop.
rootsnall

protrusing nails and screws.

Postby tarina » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:32 pm

My neighbour attached fence panels 4ft x 6ins, to the boundary fence which did not cause any offence. Then when we had words over another matter he then added lap fencing to the top of the original fencing. To say it is an eyesore is putting it mildly. The problem is the nails and screws which are protruding on my side. Am I within the law to knock them back through or to cut them off ? By him putting so much weight onto the original boundary fence, it is only a matter of time until it all comes crashing down into my garden, it is leaning like the tower of pisa. Any tips welcome. Tarina
tarina

Postby despair » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:12 am

Since the boundary fence is yours you are well within your rights removing anything and everything your neighbour has attached to it He is not allowed to paint it or stain it or grown anything up it either

However you are not supposed to damage /smash what is effectively his property ,........just remove it and return it to his side

If his actions have damaged or weakened your fence then he is liable for the costs of repairs

Maybe when you appraise him of the law on this matter he will think again
despair

Postby David » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:39 am

rootsnall wrote:Put up a 6ft fence and forget about him. A note would only aggravate matters. We just removed some bushes and it meant we could see previously never seen neighbours on another street, and they could see us. I just put up a 6ft fence for £100 or so and everyone is much happier. I now say hello to the neighbours I never knew I had when I see them in the shop.

Well as they used to say
"good fences make good neighbours"
Or something like that.
David
David

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences