next doors rotten fence

next doors rotten fence

Postby sanctury » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi

Our neighbours fence is a mess. Its their fence and recently they trespassed onto our land to "fix" the fence with a massive piece of chicken wire after a section gave way.

It now looks a total mess and being its chicken wire is invading our privacy as you can see straight though it and as for being secure, a small child could push it over and its already leaning into our garden again

Sadly they have been neigbhours from hell, and we had to call the police after they threatened us with a knife when i asked them when they were moving the old trailer of theirs which was blocking our rear access. We've been told not to contact them at all by the police, so we are unsure how to sort the fence.

Is there any legal responsibilities they have in regard to the upkeep of their fence?

As its quite dangerous with sharp edeges from the chicken wire, the post is leaning into our garden is there an extra safety factor i can push? They also have a large dog which could easily escape into our garden. We have several young childen in the family that will want to use the garden in the future too.

Or would it be better just to plant a hedge to hide it, or add our own fence along our edge? It doesnt help their house and garden also resembles a scrap yard complete with broken back window! The more its hidden the better.

thanks everyone.
sanctury

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: next doors rotten fence

Postby katee » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Hello sanctury,

You cannot insist they do anything I'm afraid.

I suggest you invest in your own 6 foot fence and block them out for good.

Good luck.

I know The mention of putting in another boundry feature does not always go down well on this forum but in this in this instance, due the the nature of the neighbours, I do not think there is an alternative.
Proper job my bewties................................................. Cheers 'n' gone!
katee

Postby despair » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:24 pm

I agree that in this instance installing your own fence tight up to the boundary is the only solution
but take lots of photos and keep receipts and preferably install CCTV because i suspect the neighbours will delight in damaging it and CCTV will be your proof .............sometimes the Police will install CCTV when you have NFH

Arborlad will argue you should not duplicate a boundary but he is not faced with the problem your facing
despair

Postby sanctury » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:47 pm

katee wrote:Hello sanctury,

You cannot insist they do anything I'm afraid.

I suggest you invest in your own 6 foot fence and block them out for good.

Good luck.

I know The mention of putting in another boundry feature does not always go down well on this forum but in this in this instance, due the the nature of the neighbours, I do not think there is an alternative.

Thanks for your reply :)

We've got rather nice gravel board, concrete posts and solid panels down the other side, so will just replicate those on the other side, nice and tight to the old fence.

TBH loosing a few inches to them is a small cost. My main concern was if someone said it would be a bad idea to do so.

despair wrote:I agree that in this instance installing your own fence tight up to the boundary is the only solution
but take lots of photos and keep receipts and preferably install CCTV because i suspect the neighbours will delight in damaging it and CCTV will be your proof .............sometimes the Police will install CCTV when you have NFH

Arborlad will argue you should not duplicate a boundary but he is not faced with the problem your facing

Thanks for your reply too. Personally I'm not worried about them, I beleive them to be bullies and I think when he pulled the knife out our response of "oooooh" in a sarcasitc way hinted to them we arent a pushover. I called the Police as I beleived its best to offically document these things.

I have my eye on a IP camera that sends a email with picture if it detects any movement anyway for securities sake.

Luckily the chap we use for installing the fence on the other side is a rough tough no messing sort of chap and hes already said he wont take any grief from them if he gets the job (which he will have for sure now :))
sanctury

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Don't worry about losing a few inches, just fence and be done with it. When you don't get on with a neighbour, a nice tall fence is the best solution.

Some will say don't have duplicate boundaries, but not everyone has a choice, it can be the best and only solution.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby sanctury » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:05 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Don't worry about losing a few inches, just fence and be done with it. When you don't get on with a neighbour, a nice tall fence is the best solution.

Some will say don't have duplicate boundaries, but not everyone has a choice, it can be the best and only solution.

Exactly my thoughts, but its always nice to hear the same thing being suggested by others.

I think the message is getting through that we wont be pushed about. The old trailer has now been removed and has gone. One step further to happiness!
sanctury

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:20 pm

sanctury wrote:I have my eye on a IP camera that sends a email with picture if it detects any movement anyway for securities sake.

Luckily the chap we use for installing the fence on the other side is a rough tough no messing sort of chap and hes already said he wont take any grief from them if he gets the job (which he will have for sure now :))

The camera is a good idea. Be careful of using other people who might antagonise the neighbour in any way. They too could use a camera and show that they are being baited by outside help. Never underestimate how bad these situations can get, you want to stay whiter than white, never give them anything to use against you.

I speak from experience. I have never used anyone to fight my battles, but have neighbours who would hide behind a child, never mind contractors, anyone will do. Bullies use others to do their bidding for them, don't come across in this light.

Yes, use a contractor who will get the job done, but tell him to be professional and courteous, despite anything the neighbour might do or say, cover yourself at all times.

I'm not saying this to help you be devious, but those on the outside will know what I'm saying. In a court of law, both sides come under scrutiny, it is imperative to show that you do not fan the flames, not yourself, or by using others to do so for you.

Hopefully it won't ever come to that and next time he pulls a knife it will be to shove it up his own dark hole. :wink:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby kwhite » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:58 pm

oops....

My fencing contractor came this morning to remove the first part of our old fence and already the NFH in the back house was watching him! I told him if she gives him any hassle to use some colourful language!

However, I doubt any reputable contractor will do so, as they also have their reputation to consider. I told him when he came to price the job that he may get interest from these people, but he said that doesn't concern him. I dont think he will say anything to them, but also I think its good to get one that doesn't mind, as it means they will continue the job and not be intimidated.

You have a bad situation in that it is the neighbours who should replace/repair the fence, and as they aren't, you have to fork out (my situation also on one side). The worry will always be that they might damage the fence...whereas any decent person would be happy of a new solid fence!

I guess if their old fence is next to your new one, it might give yours a bit of protection from them, but is it possible to ask them if you can remove the old fence? That way you wouldn't loose any ground, but would risk them damaging it. also, from what you've said, I suspect talking to them is not a good idea.
kwhite

Postby Sudynim » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:41 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Don't worry about losing a few inches, just fence and be done with it. When you don't get on with a neighbour, a nice tall fence is the best solution.

I agree. I wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice 3" of land to put an end to something like this. Concrete posts and solid panels is a good option, but be sure that the panels can be lifted out from your side for repair and re-staining.
Sudynim

Postby WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:28 pm

kwhite wrote:oops....

My fencing contractor came this morning to remove the first part of our old fence and already the NFH in the back house was watching him! I told him if she gives him any hassle to use some colourful language!

However, I doubt any reputable contractor will do so, as they also have their reputation to consider.

I wouldn't worry about it, they are used to warring neighbours and would take just about anything said from either side with a large pinch of salt. They just want the work, not someone else’s aggro. I bet fencers and other contractors have heard it repeatedly about the neighbour the other side, it probably gets them work if they say they will do or say something against the neighbour. Like an estate agent gets a property on their books by overinflating the asking price. :lol: :lol: :lol:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Postby Mattylad » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:06 pm

I would not even bother with wooden panels with a troublesome nfh.

I used concrete panels all the way up between mine in my previous house, so it was a lot harder for them to do any damage to it.
Mattylad

Postby sanctury » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:45 pm

Sorry i've not been back. Lost my username and just found it written down and its spelt differently to what I thought it was! :oops:

Not much to report really. Actually thats a lie, Im going to court in Sept due to the NFH threatening me and attacking our gate with a huge shovel! Lucikly all on camera from 2 angles and no way of getting out of it. But hes still pleading not guilty. I can only think hes not seen the footage yet.

The fence is still hanging on but barely. I have to keep my toddler away from it in case he snags the bare chicken wire, or pulls on the wood which is bent out of shape as that will porbably damage the fence more.

We are looking to approach the council about putting a taller fence between us the them as their house is higher than ours and they constantly over look us when using the patio. 2 metre fence woudlnt do anything, needs to be 3m at least. Then I will get the fence put down the length of the garden, getting solicitors to write a letter stating the bounday line is not changing and if they choose to remove their fence the boundary will remain. Also that if they lean anything against the fence it will result in it being removed. Finally we want to try and claim the alleyway as our own or at least have permisson to gate it as they keep driving over it with a 4x4 making it dangerous to even walk on, when they have no reason to access the land.

Basically its been 2 years of hell from the NFH and the only advice I can give so far is keep calm and report stuff the old bill when its needed.
sanctury

Postby despair » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Do not forget that they are the ones with a dog and its their sole responsibility to retain it

Hence chicken wire is simply not enough

I always say with nfh like this install chain link fence with posts 2 metres apart then bolt a framework to the chain link posts and feather edge your side

that way your wood fence is protected from balls dogs etc
despair

Postby MacadamB53 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi sanctury,

The fence is still hanging on but barely. I have to keep my toddler away from it in case he snags the bare chicken wire, or pulls on the wood which is bent out of shape as that will porbably damage the fence more.

but what about the fence you installed back in 2011?

We are looking to approach the council about putting a taller fence between us the them as their house is higher than ours and they constantly over look us when using the patio. 2 metre fence woudlnt do anything, needs to be 3m at least.[/i]

oh... ...you didn't install one then...

those toddlers you mentioned would be wanting use of your garden must be annoyed with you! :) (only joking)

you seem to have basically done nothing about the claimed dangers and loss of privacy that drew you to this forum three years ago.

get yourself down to B&Q (or similar) and buy one 2m panel - cheapest available - and two posts.
install them to test your "2 metre woudlnt do anything" theory.
then, when you likely realise 2m will suffice, for everyone's sake GET A FENCE INSTALLED. (not shouting)
I'd even ask the "NFH" if he wants his old one removing by your workman.

job done.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby sanctury » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:43 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi sanctury,

but what about the fence you installed back in 2011?

We are looking to approach the council about putting a taller fence between us the them as their house is higher than ours and they constantly over look us when using the patio. 2 metre fence woudlnt do anything, needs to be 3m at least.[/i]

oh... ...you didn't install one then...

those toddlers you mentioned would be wanting use of your garden must be annoyed with you! :) (only joking)

you seem to have basically done nothing about the claimed dangers and loss of privacy that drew you to this forum three years ago.

get yourself down to B&Q (or similar) and buy one 2m panel - cheapest available - and two posts.
install them to test your "2 metre woudlnt do anything" theory.
then, when you likely realise 2m will suffice, for everyone's sake GET A FENCE INSTALLED. (not shouting)
I'd even ask the "NFH" if he wants his old one removing by your workman.

job done.

Kind regards, Mac

HI, been a year I know. Lots of stuff gets in the way out there. Plus I once again forgot I spelt my username wrong.

Well for those that might be interested the shoddy fence is still there. We are off to court due to threats of violence and criminal damage from the neighbour so theres no way Im adding fuel to the fire by putting any kind of fence up until this current issue is resolved.

To answer your question, 2 metre fencing wont make a difference due to how the land lies. Their back door opens about a meter above our ground level, theres a retaining wall which is about 1.8metres tall already there. so adding a 2 meter fence would add nothing to aid our privacy. I have contacted a planning officer who confirmed it would need planning to go higher.

But as I have said until the current issue is put to bed, Im not doing anything new.

On the plus side I take my toddler out into the garden when ever I can at weekends and just get on with it. The NFH eventually gets annoyed at the dogs constant barking so puts him indoors and with the threat of court getting close they are currently keeping their heads down. Even though I have caught her chucking dirty water over the fence (again something she wouldn't be able to do if I was able to put a tall fence there :)) on a number of occasions now.
sanctury

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Next

Return to Fences