Neighbour refuses to stop throwing things over the fence

Neighbour refuses to stop throwing things over the fence

Postby Catfish » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:55 pm

My neighbour refuses to stop throwing things over the fence into my garden, and also into the garden on the other side.

A few weeks ago I saw her throw a stone into my garden. When I asked her if she had anything to say about that, she denied it point blank. She later accused me of making up false allegations about her.

But this is not what I want to ask you about. Her neighbour on the other side has repeatedly asked her not to throw vegetation over the boundary into her garden, but she carries on regardless. She claims she is entitled to do this as the vegetation has its roots in her neighbour's garden. Her neighbour dared to return some of the vegetation that my neighbour had thrown over, sparking a whole lot of shouting, screaming, f-ing and blinding. At some point, she went into the house and came back out with an axe, shouting about knocking the fence down. I'm told she then proceeded to hack away at the vegetation growing on the fence, all the while screaming and shouting.

My neighbour claims she is perfectly entitled to throw stuff over fences, as the vegetation originates from the other side of the fence. But as she has repeatedly been asked not to do this, I was wondering whether she is committing an offence by continuing to do this.
Catfish

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Neighbour refuses to stop throwing things over the fence

Postby arsie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:42 pm

You are allowed to trim back any neighbours plants, trees, hedge etc that are in or over your land. You should then 'offer' the trimmings to the neighbour, as they are really his/her property. If they don't want them, you may dispose of them yourself - this does not include throwing them on the neighbour's property or at his head! Strictly speaking if, as a result of over-enthusiastic trimming, you damage or kill the plants you are liable for any damage e.g. if you cut some roots and the tree as a consequence died and fell on someone, you could be held responsible.
arsie

Postby Catfish » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:46 pm

arsie wrote:If they don't want them, you may dispose of them yourself - this does not include throwing them on the neighbour's property or at his head!

She has been asked not to throw thing over and yet she still does it. What I'm asking is whether she is committing some kind of offence by doing this, or is she just being offensive?
Catfish

Postby arsie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:01 pm

The rubbish is hers so she is disposing of her rubbish on to the neighbours land. Littering? Others will know the legal wrong or you could try Google :) edit: Had a look and cannot find any clear answer as to the law. So on that basis I guess she is just being objectionable.
arsie

Postby katee » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:54 pm

We had an elderly neighbour who did this, she would throws little bits of gravel over the fence and poke out the knotholes with a screwdriver to peer through for hours on end.

She was a difficult and unreasonable woman with nothing better to do than start a confrontation.

The best thing to do is ignore her.

stop all conversation and requests.

She will get bored eventually.

Proper job my bewties................................................. Cheers 'n' gone!
katee

Postby Catfish » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:22 pm

I've been doing my level best to ignore her for years now. She's an absolute nightmare to live near. She's engaged in a campaign of bullying against two teenage girls on the one side and a 12 year old boy who lives above her. She makes false accusations that make no sense whatsoever, until you realise that the things she accuses others of are things she does herself. She demands absolute silence from all of her neighbours at all times, yet she's quite noisy herself, especially when she turns the radio up to full blast then leaves her flat for a couple of hours. She has severe anger management issues - it is impossible to talk to her without her completely flying off the handle.

We, her neighbours, are keen to find a way to put an end to all of this, but the various applicable laws seem to be designed to go nowhere, rather than put an stop to the offending behaviour.
Catfish

Postby despair » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:18 pm

best bet is to totally ignore her petty stupid behaviour but just keep a diary then if it gets really serious you have the evidence to back any complaint
above all ignore her totally
despair

Postby kipper » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:13 pm

Report her to the Antisocial behaviour unit at your local authority. If you feel threatened (e.g. if she storms out of the house with an axe acting aggressively) call the police. Get CCTV installed.
kipper

Postby Catfish » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:24 am

kipper wrote:Report her to the Antisocial behaviour unit at your local authority. If you feel threatened (e.g. if she storms out of the house with an axe acting aggressively) call the police. Get CCTV installed.

Apparently there is some video footage of her on her axe rampage, but I haven't seen it. She noticed she was being filmed and immediately wrote a letter to her neighbour demanding that the footage be deleted or she will sue!
Catfish

Postby COGGY » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:51 am

Is she requesting payment for the starring role? She is definitely a very stupid woman and possibly a dangerous one. I do not think she should be ignored. I don't mean you should speak to her but you should all band together and keep records. Involve the Council, your local Councillor and the Police. If they do not respond keep calling, different people calling regularly for help, and record how many calls/complaints are made and ignored. Throwing rubbish is a bad nuisance but weilding an axe is on a different level.
COGGY

Postby stufe35 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:08 pm

I think you are dealing with narcissistic personality disorder. Read 'beyond mediation' on the nfh website. You need to read it all in order. See what you think.

Reaction is what they crave, ignoring is your most powerful tool.

Regards stu
stufe35

Postby Catfish » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not responding earlier. You are exactly right. We have ignored her now for over a year and, with the exception of some wall-banging, have had a quiet year.

She, however, obviously feels something is missing from her life and has now picked a fight with my neighbours on the other side. This could become interesting - they are, for want of a better description, violent thugs. I have a feeling an unstoppable force is about to hit an immovable object. Watch this space!
Catfish

Postby despair » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:40 pm

It will sure be interesting to see who wins !
despair

Postby jdfi » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:49 am

nothingtodowithme wrote:There may well be underlying "issues" here; I think this woman needs help.

Could well be enough to have her sectioned :p
jdfi

Postby ukmicky » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:27 pm

I would throw it all back
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
ukmicky

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Return to Fences