Neighbour's Electric Cable on My Garden

Re: Neighbour's Electric Cable on My Garden

Postby CockneyViking » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:20 pm

This post should have the photo attached but I am getting the message ....Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Anyone know why this means? I have put two attachments on earlier posts, does it mean I have used my allowance for the thread? I did reduce the file size form 4 MB to 240KB which I thought might do the trick.
CockneyViking

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby MacadamB53 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:51 pm

Hi CV,

you need to upload images to a third party site (eg tinypics.com).

here's the relevant guidance:

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19161&p=171330#p171330

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby CockneyViking » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:02 pm

This link should show part of the cable.

http://tinypic.com/r/2ueiem8/8
CockneyViking

Postby CockneyViking » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:04 pm

This link should show part of the cable.

http://tinypic.com/r/2ueiem8/8
CockneyViking

Postby despair » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:09 pm

well i sure would not be putting up with it in my garden
despair

Postby COGGY » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi

I would not be happy with that in my garden. Do you have any pets, children visiting or living in your property? If so this could help you in your fight. First I would phone the Council, ask for Health & Safety if Planning or Enforcement do not help. Phone your local Councillors, your local MP, the Police and the local newspaper. As it is a fire risk your House Insurers may be interested.

Kind regards
Coggy
COGGY

Postby MacadamB53 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:43 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:Hi CV,

What can I or should I do?

Seek an injunction to remedy the trespass.
Forget about pursuing the 'safety' issue.
Stick to the 'trespass' issue.

I assume you own the property he's trespassing over?

Kind regards, Mac

Hi CV,

all things considered I'm reverting back to my original suggestion.

Kind regards, Mac
MacadamB53

Postby boeingman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:56 am

You accept that the cable is on your neighbour's land.

It is Steel Wired Armoured cable. It is not inherently unsafe, there is is no risk to pets, children or inquisitive visitors.

You know exactly where it is so it is highly unlikely that you will put a spade through it, it's actually highly unlikely a spade would go through it. Ever tried working with the stuff?

If it was me I wouldn't be particularly bothered by it but, since you are bothered, then place something on your land that will securely cover it and protect you, and clearly mark it's position. Pour yourself a glass of something nice and chill. Life's too short.
boeingman

Postby Sudynim » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:16 pm

nothingtodowithme wrote:
boeingman wrote:You accept that the cable is on your neighbour's land.

It is Steel Wired Armoured cable. It is not inherently unsafe, there is is no risk to pets, children or inquisitive visitors.

You know exactly where it is so it is highly unlikely that you will put a spade through it, it's actually highly unlikely a spade would go through it. Ever tried working with the stuff?

If it was me I wouldn't be particularly bothered by it but, since you are bothered, then place something on your land that will securely cover it and protect you, and clearly mark it's position. Pour yourself a glass of something nice and chill. Life's too short.

Sounds reasonable to me.

+1
Sudynim

Postby xdave » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:52 pm

+1

Whilst it might look unsightly, that cable is perfectly safe in that position. Assuming it has been terminated correctly, which if it has been certified it should be, then even if you could sever the armour to the point of contacting a live wire it would immediately short to ground and the supply would be disconnected (there are scenarios where it might not need protection, but given it seems to serve an extension it probably does). It would be nigh on impossible to damage that cable without causing criminal damage to that fence though, and it would take a lot of force to sever it - a spade will not do it. You might be able to accidentally damage the outer sheaf and expose the armour wires (which would then require repair - referring back to the thread you linked to earlier), but it would not be immediately dangerous.

Yes it should be either securely fixed to the wall/fence or buried with warning tape above it, but you will find millions of SWA cables installed under patios, fences, drive ways, lawns, etc., that are not and are perfectly safe. Just as you will find many older DNO supply cables coming into properties laying lose on top of soffits, passing through cavity walls without conduit or even running down cavities, and those are unlikely to be armoured. You should always assume there will be hidden services whenever you dig or remove something and anyone who doesn't check is putting themselves in danger.

As the cable appears to be on your neighbours land so there is no trespass and as the cable, installed and notified under the building regulations has a completion certificate, then there is nothing at all you can do about it. Your insurance do not need to know. The fire brigade do not need to know. Unless you have children who like to play with hacksaws then you can sleep easy.
xdave

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Previous

Return to Fences